Alfa Romeo Forums banner

721 - 740 of 1869 Posts

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
forgot to post but the other week, i removed my center muffler and installed a straight pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Debating which Spider to work on first.
Black '79 is pretty clean but needs a lower engine rebuild.
Currently bare metal '78 is a runner but needs major rust repair.
Engine rebuild and trans refresh, around $2K.
Rust repair is mostly my scarce spare time as I already have all the patch panels and a new white top.
Doing my own Maroon paint is also less expensive than an engine rebuild.
Engine rebuild is fewer hours.
'79 is to remain almost completely stock including SPICA.
'78 gets more modifications in addition to the Dellorto's and headers it already has.

Need to decide but it's not being easy.
Also determined to continue with my Dio-Tipo/Alfa build so have a lot to do this summer.
Good thing I gave up the PC re-education camp that television has become! :shifty:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I installed the left side bar for the chassis stiffener. I installed the right as well, but I needed some additional hardware to finish. A few minutes today and this will be wrapped up.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
vivace its 100% worth the effort and cost. Stops cowl shake and makes the car feel way, way tighter. Lateral stability greatly improved.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Completed moving the two Spiders around.
Black 79 (Engine work) is out of the way in an alcove but can easily be rolled forward to work on it.
Stripped 78 is moved away from the wall so that I get to all sides of it.
Took the bonnet off and reminded myself where I left off.
Going to refit the rebuilt Dellorto's and get it running.
Ran before but poorly, the carbs were gummed up from the car sitting a long time.
Should run much better this time around. :)
Oh, and despite not being able to find any numbers on the cams I know they must be pretty high-lift as the cam follower bores have been notched for clearance. :D
So if the engine is good I hope to do the body rust repairs and make it a driver.

That brings me to questions.
I have a full set of patch panels, made in Canada so I'm guessing Wolf brand.
Most are evident where they go but couple need to be identified.
The BIGGER question, I have rust at the usual wheel well corners but none apparent at the sills below the doors.
Should I still strip off the sills and replace the middle rockers anyway?
Most of my apparent rust is only the lower three inches or so.
Passenger side behind the front wheel is the worst spot with the end of the middle rocker looking thin.
If the lower patch panels are not too hard then my nose repair will be the biggest challenge.

Not making this one a show car, I intend to drive it hard.
Now keeping the body spares I have in case I need them after an "OOPS!".

I know there should be detailed threads here on rocker repair here, not finding them. :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ouch.

At least you are ok.

I think I have a door from an '76 in my storage...

Thank you I have never PM anyone before not sure how to use it. Yes I am going to need a driver door. Here is ever worse news. The day after the accident I was laid off and they took my company phone with the other drivers information in the photo file. All I had to give to Hagerty was a last name and town of the other driver. I live near SFO and have a pick up truck so I can pick up a part in a reasonable distance. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Spent the day learning the darker side of my Spider. I have not done much work on it myself over the past ten years I have owned the car. My son drove it for four years - I paid his bills. Then the car sat in the garage..... until six months ago. Working on the overheating problem. Drained the radiator and started the flush. As I was getting prepared I pulled the thermostat. No thermostat! Have a new one waiting to go in. Ok - radiator cap - looks like it needs replacement - have a 13 psi to hold me over through testing until I can get the 10.1 PSI (.7bar) I need. Went to remove the block drain plug - no luck. I now have a 15 inch breaker bar to go on the 22MM socket tomorrow AM (and a can of anti seize). Soon as that one is off I can finish the flush and refill and test it out. Tomorrow will be the tank vent system. If time permits I will also pull the speedometer cable from the transmission. Need to find out why that does not work ( I think I know why ). Also found out that my head bolts are torques in somewhere over 65. Calibrated torque wrench. No leaks so I am not going to loosen them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Finished the flush and refilled. Block drain replaced with anti-seize on the threads. Cleaned up and will take her out for a run after lunch. Already vented the system. Question - I have been smelling gas in the car. I took the following picture after untapping all the hoses. Someone who is smarter than me or has been down this road comments please . Do number one and number three in the picture go together? It appears that number two is check valve - which direction - air in or out only. I understand I need to pull it apart and clean the rod in the condenser (the black fume separator). I have a check valve in hand. Other steps. My list grows - soft top gasket shot. Next weekend - maybe...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Finished the flush and refilled. Block drain replaced with anti-seize on the threads. Cleaned up and will take her out for a run after lunch. Already vented the system. Question - I have been smelling gas in the car. I took the following picture after untapping all the hoses. Someone who is smarter than me or has been down this road comments please . Do number one and number three in the picture go together? It appears that number two is check valve - which direction - air in or out only. I understand I need to pull it apart and clean the rod in the condenser (the black fume separator). I have a check valve in hand. Other steps. My list grows - soft top gasket shot. Next weekend - maybe...
Yes, 1 and 3 go together. If you continue to have the gas smell, you might review the solution at the link below:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/263040-post22.html

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
....Block drain replaced with anti-seize on the threads...
did you get to that without removing the manifold?
it looks a pita to get at.......if so, what tools did you use?

Ta!

721 - 740 of 1869 Posts