Alfa Romeo Forums banner

681 - 700 of 1868 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I pulled a cracked tail light off my '91 Spider, and installed a good used one with a matching white lens bar.

I also used my Dr. Color Chip kit to touch up a few very small chips on the bumper. The secret's in the smear... I use a small piece of thin, flexible plastic.

Finally, I took it out for a nice afternoon drive in rural Bluegrass country. Should have mowed the lawn, but given the choice... :grin2:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
John,
Maybe some pictures of your top parts explanation. ??
😎
Yahtman, I hope these aren't too small. I tried to use PM to send, but I couldn't figure out how to attach the photos there for some reason.

Not sure if this is close to what you have, but you can see the plastic brackets on the side.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not today but last week after bringing my 89 Spider out of winter storage. I had to trap the little critter that took up residence in under the back deck over the winter. Used a new storage location this year and my first time in 25+ years I had a problem. Radio didn’t work so started troubleshooting and found the nest and all the gnawed wires. Everything is back as it should be except for the poor critter!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Replaced a driver's door latch mechanism on a Series 2. After I installed the replacement door latch assembly, only then did I discover that the shaft for the interior door handle differs on the later Spiders. The splines and location of the groove for the set screw are different.

Still in need of a good Series 2 driver's door latch assembly and now I have a late (S4?) driver's door latch for sale.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Ordered replacement rubber mats for the 71 rebuild from Classic Alfa ; as well as a bunch of door felts, window seals, etc. And also bought a Weber conversion setup. Spendin my kids inheritance every day!

·
Registered
987 Posts
John533i,
Thanks for those pics. It’s amazing how different my ‘84 cover is compared to yours. I like how yours has the slots for the seat belts. Our version drives me crazy because of the seatbelt catching all the time.
But overall, I like ours better because we have an entire space for the dog/s. Priorities, right??
(Sorry,, but this is the best pic I have of the rear space)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Well, started out removing calipers to address the seized pads, only to find front RH coil spring was broken into 3 pieces ! This job has now become complete front suspension rebuild with new calipers, pads and hardware, ball joints, upper arms, and of course, a pair of new front springs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just got the initial staged shots from my daughter's wedding last weekend. Don't have the ones with them driving off yet. Hope the Alfa stays in good health as the budget won't handle much for a month or two..... it was worth it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Yahtman, I hope these aren't too small. I tried to use PM to send, but I couldn't figure out how to attach the photos there for some reason.

Not sure if this is close to what you have, but you can see the plastic brackets on the side.
Once those plastic brackets break, cause they will, replace them with the metal ones. It will be the last time you will need to replace them.

Vin

·
Registered
930 Posts
Copied from my thread "Screws...." yesterday....
Thanks, at lunch today I went to ACE hdw, got that size in Stainless....with a little jiggling I got the holes to line up....(maybe by pushing in the attachment into visors a bit)...so, I got them installed...
I wanted to show what these look like as my visors now are "CUSTOM"...lol

my existing original mirror when I got the car was bad, and rather than replacing it, I bought a 10 inch long , convex mirror from JCWhitney...(like I had in my rallye mini in the 60s...) it gives a fantastic view, you can see part of your face , and all around to out passenger side.... so I didn't want to get rid of it...my car did not have visors in it when I bought it , but in my "package", I got 5 old used, flimsy stock visors... I took one apart to see how I could re shape them, thinking I`d pay someone $150-200 to redo them...

I re shaped the frame after removing all the bad foam....took the :"knuckles" off, and since we were going to Colombia 3 weeks ago (just came back sunday) I brought these hoping to find someone to do it....in the little town of Santa Rosa de Cabal (outside Pereira) theres a guy who does interiors, tops etc for lots of old Willys Jeeps...I took these to him, he looked at them and said , yeah , I can do that, but the material isn't cheap, so , I need to charge you 18,000 pesos ...I said , pererct , next day I picked them up... now realize the exchange rate is 2,850 pesos to a dollar, so they cost me all of $6.32 !! screws today were $1.62 incl tax

so a few pics

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you could make a good living restoring our floppy shades! Can we send you a few hundred? Even if you charge 1000% profit, wed be happy!

Robert

·
Registered
930 Posts
you could make a good living restoring our floppy shades! Can we send you a few hundred? Even if you charge 1000% profit, wed be happy!

Robert
Thanks, but I only go to Colombia off and on ( visit Wifes family )...but I can give you the gys name and address...lol..
but it was fairly easy...just get rid of old cover /plastic and foam...(if you don't re shape them , just keep same shape.ut the metal frame was easy to re bend...) I added in a thin piece of plywood
maybe 1/16" ? glued the edges with the kind of glue you glue in rubber soles on shoes, like "gorilla " glue) , then we added some tin foam under the new "nauga hide" material...of course Naugas are easier to hunt in Colombia!

Guess people can do it here in the US too, just at a 'tad' more cost...lol

just thought that you guys might get the idea on redoing these visors...esp if you change mirror like I did...maybe its costly here...I estimated $200 to get done in Houston.

681 - 700 of 1868 Posts