Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2629 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Got my running lights working today, it's now a 24 hour car :)

Three issues:

1) Contacts on combo switch needed cleaned
2) Ground problem with one of the rear side markers
3) Short circuit at trunk light (which doesn't appear to have had a bulb in it this century)

Now I just need to wire up my license plate lights and I will be all set.

Couldn't have done it without Papajam's fabulous wiring diagram!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Replaced inner and middle shift boots and the "grommet" that goes under the metal piece. Traced all switch/lighting wiring and corrected several that were incorrect. Installed new speakers. Installed new visors. Installed new door end rubber.

Bought new toolbox to keep all these fun new tools that I'm accruing. Rearranged garage :)

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Trans tear down for the 71 spider project. Feeling good about this bargain trans-/I've asked my guru but I'm good either way -- have both a short shift rod (number 04606) and a long shift rid trans number 40744 ( hopefully one of these is a bona fide 1750 trans....

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
I had a busy few days.
Installed the 4.1 axle - picture of Axle City
Replaced 11" curved blade fan with new 12" SPAL straight blade
Rich Hanning - 65Sprint came around today and helped me install a repaired gearbox and the driveshaft. It was a full day and everything went together well - no levers or big hammers. I had a setback on Thursday when the gear box casing cracked as I was installing a new tranny bushing. I have done many of these and never had this problem. I suspect the bushing is oversize. I got it welded with the bushing in place and it looks good. Also found damaged throwout bearing. Rich brought a good used spare with him.

Tomorrow I just have to wire the starter, fill the gearbox with oil, rebuild the rear calipers and install them and bleed the brakes - and replace the broken balance spring on the garage door.

Attachments

Reactions: rcmanners

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I moved my electric fan from the pusher position to the puller side, and also switched to a higher CFM fan. It now runs as cool as the stock fan; all I could ask for.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Replaced the cracked fuel filler boot thingy, and adjusted the clutch finally after having replaced the clutch mc a couple weeks ago. The went for a nice ride through the rolling hills of Central NC. Now onto rebuilding the brakes over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello All -

New to the BB but I can see I'm at the right place. I went shopping for my first Alfa today. I've been looking for a project car and found one close to home. It's a 1980 Spider with a fairly rust free body and fair condition. It originally had a fairly rare (from what I understand) single butterfly intake and Spica but the current owner replaced it with the individuals and now it won't maintain idle. Think I'll have much trouble getting it to run? Can anyone direct me to the best threads or topics for my application? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
I listed more of my Alfa factory special tools on here and on ebay. Prices here are cheaper.

Also went and looked at a nice 1985 spider yesterday. Has no compression on number 4 cylinder. Interior is very nice. Paint good. Price was right. So I bought. That makes number 11. Not counting the 4 parts cars.

Also spent some time cleaning out the 1981 spider with webers to sell. Non running car. Engine turns over by hand. Typical rust. Did I mention it has webers. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
Hello All -

New to the BB but I can see I'm at the right place. I went shopping for my first Alfa today. I've been looking for a project car and found one close to home. It's a 1980 Spider with a fairly rust free body and fair condition. It originally had a fairly rare (from what I understand) single butterfly intake and Spica but the current owner replaced it with the individuals and now it won't maintain idle. Think I'll have much trouble getting it to run? Can anyone direct me to the best threads or topics for my application? Thanks.
The single butterfly intake could be considered rare. They were only on 80 and 81 models. Which were the worst years for the Spica system. Mainly because of the single butterfly intake. The current owner replacing it with the earlier intake is a very good thing. If you buy it. Make sure he has the factory airbox to go with it.

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
The individual throttle body Spica has a device that connects to each throttle body by vacuum hoses and it is involved in controlling the idle. I know jack **** about Spica and I suggest that you contact Roadtrip. He is an expert.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Took her out of storage :) Even got to drive with the top down before it rained (mind you, 4 degree C weather is maybe a bit ambitious...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Another Spider owner joins the ranks!

Bought this ... I'm sure I will have a bunch of questions. My first Alfa but not my first project. Not sure what my goal is since the car and I are just getting acquainted. I suppose VIN research is in order ...
Congrats! Welcome to the wonderful world of Spiders! :grin2:

This is a great place for all the answers to your questions- the amount of experience you can tap into here is amazing.

My suggestion- get a shop manual (maybe join AROC?) Always good to have the reference material in your hands. Also- AROC has other literature for SPICA and stuff- check that out too.

Don't forget to post pics as you move along.

Good luck, and have fun!

-Ray

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I do like that red piping on the seats.

What you can do with that Spider is only limited by the money you have to put into it, and the time you spend here on the Alfa BB!

And I agree joining up with AROC is another great resource, as well as a terrific bunch of people. AROC | Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I changed the engine oil and cartridge filter, as usual after 5.000 kms. Plus the low oil warning light sender, which had served me for 49 years. Oh, the brown on the bonnet is not rust, it is Tectyl, a rust prevention seal.
:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Got my filthy dirty 1750 motor mounted on the engine stand, made an adapter out of a 2 x 4 box section of galvanized 1/8 steel ; hard to get the nuts on for the motor mount (gotta work in a 1 3/4 inch space) but its done and motor mounted, next up is a full cleaning of what looks like 40 years of grime!
Ordered my floor plans and some other misc parts for the trans along with some other parts from Classic Alfa. DOllar good against the pound so now is a good time to order your stuff from there ! Got the trans bushings on order from Spruell and a upholstery kit from VIck! Spreading the love as best I can
slowly slowly making progress (well not exactly, slowly getting stuff ready for when I actually do make progress!)

Reactions: rcmanners

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Refreshing nearly complete!

Today, I had my mechanic replace my sloppy steering idler with one he rebuilt for me, had the wheels aligned, and took care of a paint chip on the trunk.

I am nearing the end of my "refresh" (not really a restoration since it was in very good condition before I started last fall).

Next up is polishing the new paint, conditioning the new leather, and detailing in and out.

The car looks and runs awesome- maybe even better than new! Can't wait to finish getting it shiny, then going on a road trip to the Florida Keys with a good friend of mine (she's even prettier than my Spider!) :grin2:

Latest pics coming soon...

-Ray

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today my ATE Brake Reservoir cap with gasket arrived

from California since my old gasket swelled, and I checked on my Centerline purchase, which is enroute to Florida so I can have my new stainless brake lines installed, new ATE fluid installed, and the calipers can be rebuilt with the kits I bought. Pads and rotors already done. This is what "Mia" looked like when she won in her Class at the Viva Alfa Show in Celebration, Florida this past October. I got her February 2015. She has 37k miles now, and is almost completely restored.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
No work, just play today!

It was a PERFECT DAY here in South Florida today- especially for top-down drivin', so instead of detailing the interior, I went cruisin' down A1A (along the ocean) soakin' up sun and cranking tunes. Sofia is looking gorgeous (even without the fully detailed interior) and turned heads everywhere, as sexy Italians will. :grin2:

At one point I was stopped at a red light, and a couple of hot girls across the street liked the Rihanna tune I was playing and decided to dance for me! Wish I took a pic :frown2:

Ahhh... life is good! 0:)

-Ray

41 - 60 of 2629 Posts