Alfa Romeo Forums banner

481 - 500 of 2022 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks Great

John, Rich Murray,

Those are some great looking cars. I have stainless bumpers to go on my 77 after seeing those picks that might have to be my new year's project.

Drove the spider to work today with the top down. We survived the fires and no more ash is falling from the sky so it was time to get the spider out again. Compared to a lot of you guys it is balmy and clear here today.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy New year to all of you.

May the road rise up to meet you,
the wind be at your back
May you have all 4 wheels on the road.

Ventura Alfa

·
Registered
172 Posts
Checked off another few items from the list: finally took off the oil pan and cleaned out 35 years of sludge, scraped off old gasket & replaced with new; replaced the oil pressure sender, new filter and oil. Cleaned up engine while I was at it.
Then went from a cruise through the Uwharrie's. Next on the list: replace gauge lights with LEDs, and address that nasty rattle in the front left suspension!

·
Registered
73 Posts
No opportunity to drive this weekend, but read a Christmas gift from my spouse--"Alfa Romeo Spider: The Complete Story" by John Tipler. It was a quick read with a fair amount of history on the evolution of the Spider. Its a 1998 U.K. book so lots of commentary on RHD and discussion of the "new" Spider introduced in Europe in 1995. She found it used on Ebay, and it shipped over from the U.K. in a few days. Nice chance to get some perspective on the differences between each Series, and how the U.K. clubs and restoration/support operate. The author presented as an enthusiast, owning and racing Alfas as we as being a journalist in the classic motor press.

Steve

·
Registered
824 Posts
Started Laying Out/Installing The Wiring Harness Into My 1974 Spider Autocross Project Car. I'm Going To Have The Car Finished For The 2018 Alfa National Convention In Seattle.....I'm Going To Have The Car Finished For The 2018 Alfa National Convention In Seattle.....I'm Going To Have The Car Finished For The 2018 Alfa National Convention In Seattle........Repeat After Me!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
What did I do Alfa Spider Related Today? Nothing - It was 5 degrees when we woke up and the roads are covered in salt....so our Spider continues it's hibernation until Spring. In the meantime I'm reading through 'Alfa Romeo - All the Cars' by Lorenzo Ardizio, which was a Christmas present from one of my sons.

·
Registered
71 Posts
swapped most dash lights to LED, found the spare SPICA belt that was hiding in the spare tire well, now moving on to cleaning up the engine compartment as I'm halfway through an entire cooling system refresh. 69 Spider Veloce

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Hi Murray!.

I have 800lb. front springs now, but after consulting with Max Banks at Alfaholics he recommended 700lb. springs. The new smaller spring connects to the A-arm further toward the wheel so a lower rate spring still provides the same "wheel spring rate". Alfaholics also makes a rear coil-over kit but this comes with their adjustable shock inside the spring. I want to continue using my custom double adjustable Koni shocks so plan to assemble my own coil over configuration using individual components. The Alfaholics rear coil over kit takes the entire spring load on the shock absorber mount and Max says this is suitable for springs up to 300lb. I found a little adapter plate to transition from a 2 1/4 spring to the original mounting of a stock spring so will use this as I don't like the idea of all of the rear spring load on the shock mount.

The spring kit arrived yesterday and the workmanship is outstanding. Several years back, at an AROC convention, Max told me their suppliers are in the British F1 industry - like McClaren, Williams, etc. that's why their stuff is $$$

What lb springs are you going to use George?

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
I see evidence in the pictures of another Alfaholics customer. Get the Spider finished for the 2018 convention so we can compete together!. Rumor has it that the autocross will be like the one in the 2014 Detroit convention with two cars running on opposite courses and the first one back is the winner.

The convention is actually in Olympia AROC-USA National Convention Sempreverde 2018

Started Laying Out/Installing The Wiring Harness Into My 1974 Spider Autocross Project Car. I'm Going To Have The Car Finished For The 2018 Alfa National Convention In Seattle.....I'm Going To Have The Car Finished For The 2018 Alfa National Convention In Seattle.....I'm Going To Have The Car Finished For The 2018 Alfa National Convention In Seattle........Repeat After Me!!!!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I called and made appointment with mechanic...I hope by now he can find my electrical problem...he ouldnt in October after my trip to Gulfport..
story: driving to Gulfport for Cruising the Coast event...all was fine (as it has been since purchase)..until 20 minutes before arriving (about 400 miles at that point).all three pod gauges went dead...and "gen" (alternator) light came on...thinking I had a busted belt, I kept going to see if I could make it... I did.
I checked...had fan belt...hmmm, checked fuses, had a bad one "Ahh , that's it!" replaced, it blew...three of them on at a time...took it to a local mechanic...of course they didn't know Alfas, could nt work on it...didn't have electrical diagrams..
I asked them to just see if the alternator charded...it di..
so I drove back to Houston with out gauges and red glowing light close to 440 miles.. ....about 15 minutes before I arrived home, gauges came back on!..then next coupe of days it was intermittent...
took it to mechanic ,of course when there it all worked....
since Ive driven it most every weekend...and seems to be more "off" now than "on"...noticed that IF gauges work and I turn on radio, radio is quiet and gauges stop working...sometimes at red liht in idle if I move shifter to the right, sometimes gauges come on until I move it left again...
so, I think I have concluded its in the console, and probably related to the radio (which used to work , but I didn't use it on my trip to Gulfport , since you don't hear it going 70...lol)...
So tomorrow , back to the mechanic...hopefully it wont work when I leave it there...
I HATE electric stuff!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Hi Murray!.

I have 800lb. front springs now, but after consulting with Max Banks at Alfaholics he recommended 700lb. springs. The new smaller spring connects to the A-arm further toward the wheel so a lower rate spring still provides the same "wheel spring rate". Alfaholics also makes a rear coil-over kit but this comes with their adjustable shock inside the spring. I want to continue using my custom double adjustable Koni shocks so plan to assemble my own coil over configuration using individual components. The Alfaholics rear coil over kit takes the entire spring load on the shock absorber mount and Max says this is suitable for springs up to 300lb. I found a little adapter plate to transition from a 2 1/4 spring to the original mounting of a stock spring so will use this as I don't like the idea of all of the rear spring load on the shock mount

The spring kit arrived yesterday and the workmanship is outstanding. Several years back, at an AROC convention, Max told me their suppliers are in the British F1 industry - like McClaren, Williams, etc. that's why their stuff is $$$
And to think the springs I got from IAP was advertised at 1,200 lbs. I came pretty close to buying that kit back in the day.

I would like to go to the 2018 convention but it's to far for my old pickup to trailer my Alfa out there and back. I'm hopeful that the 2019 convention will be closer to the Midwest.

481 - 500 of 2022 Posts