Alfa Romeo Forums banner
4421 - 4440 of 4636 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
After installing the gaters last week, today was the frist day I drive the spider. I was going down the circler ramp in the parking garage the stick shift (2nd gear) keep popping out of gear. Then I relized the new gaters were really stiff. I sat them in the sun for a few hour before I installed, they were very flexable and easy to work with. Now a week later in a dark garage the gaters are stiff. I also noticed it running throught grears on the way home the movment from gear to gear was stiff. I guess time will loosing them up or did I do something wrong?
I drove my spider yesterday and again after putting in the new shifter gaters the shifter fill out of first and third gear. I am going to leave the spider in the sun and see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I drove my spider yesterday and again after putting in the new shifter gaters the shifter fill out of first and third gear. I am going to leave the spider in the sun and see if it makes a difference.
to me it sounds like mis-alignment of the centre console...when you put it back...or was misaligned already but you didn't notice because the bellows were torn
many threads on that

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Today a had a fun run. My new stereo set up worked great. Top down 70MPH I had nice clear music and I check out the hands free phone mic. On the other end of the call they said is good but not great quality.
The gear shift is staying in place. I went to the gym and the spider sat in the sun for a couple of hours. It was even easier to shift.
The coastal mountain range was kind of cold this morning. My heater was working like a charm. Top down and lots of thumbs up by other auto enthusiasts out for the morning run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
What did I do? More like what have I done 🤦‍♂️. Overtightened the terminal on this brand new in-tank fuel pump and snapped it off. Trying to decide whether I can get a good enough solder joint onto that pad to trust it will hold inside my fuel tank. Without melting the plastic. Would not try putting the post back on, but another wire for instance.

Wood Trigger Gas Revolver Cable

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Graduate
184 Posts
Could you file the present stud smooth, drill and tap for a new stud?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
That’s an interesting idea. I have doubts since it’s so tiny (the nut is only 6mm). But I’ve never tried!
drilling is worth a try....probably a tiny 2mm drill
Personally I'd be dissecting/experimenting on the old pump (now, you did keep it right?;)) to see what is under that brass post...ie. does it screw out maybe?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
drilling is worth a try....probably a tiny 2mm drill
Personally I'd be dissecting/experimenting on the old pump (now, you did keep it right?;)) to see what is under that brass post...ie. does it screw out maybe?
Indeed I do have the old pump but it’s not the same brand (Delphi old, Airtex new). Anyone have a dead Airtex E8778 they want to dissect for me? Good call on it perhaps screwing out, I can probably try that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had to replace the floors in my Barn-Stored '74 and of course I placed Dynamat on the new floors. Well I also replace the exhaust during my last test drive the carpet started Smokin'. The **** Dynamat had melted and was burning from the heat. So for the last few days I've been scraping with a 1 inch scraper and hammer the melted Dynamat goo off the floor. I still have to clean the back of the carpet.

So, exterior heat shield to install on the muffler and pipe along with interior rockwool like heat shield under the carpet. Then off on another test drive because I'm doing "shade-tree" adjustments to the Spica.
sure start installed, throttle bodies cleaned, arm set to .19 so now it's all the Cold Start Solenoid that some **** mechanic used a punch and hammer to loosen and tighten the locking nut with. Of course it screwed up the threads.........

·
Registered
213 Posts
Today was a great Alfa day! I took it to the mechanic because the A/C was not working. I hoped it was not the compressor or any parts not easily sourced. It only needed refrigerant. I'm so happy. I love my little car.

As I was leaving I told the proprietor that I am so too old for the car. When it was new the top was always down, boot on. If I didn't have a free hand for the door handle I stepped over it to get in. Now it takes me 15 minutes to get out, literally.

He couldn't contain his laughter. As I arrived today he was in the lot recording a VIN from another car. He saw me get out of the car. Graceless, but I did it! My next stop was to refuel at the Shell station two doors down. My Alfa tired to make me feel young again. When I got out of the car my bra was unhooked. Took me back to good times :)

Of course I dropped the filler cap and it rolled under the car. I moved the car a few feet forward to retrieve it.

I love my Alfa! Whenever I drive it I'm smiling liike a fool. Nothing better than my long time emotional support car.

Have a wonderful Alfa day and good evening.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Graduate
184 Posts
I have only seen another spider at club activities

·
Registered
84 Posts
Took the spider out for a holiday weekend coffee run ..... and, sadly, needed to have it towed back. Ignition switch was totally uncooperative. With finagling I could get it as far as getting the accessory lights illuminated on the dash, but that was it. Mostly it's irritating as the switch was just purchased and installed in March, and I was pretty relieved to have that job done as it was zero fun and I figured the switch would be good for a 2 decades.....but 6 months later, I guess I was a little bit too optimistic.

I emailed the vendor, Classic Alfa, last night to see if others are having issues with the switch, but I haven't heard back yet (kind of disconcerting as when you ask a presales question they usually reply quickly). But I guess I probably wouldn't want to use the same switch again anyway....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Today I found out that the electric mirrors on my '85 spider are made by a dutch company. The company is called IKU, in the 70s this company focused on moped parts. At the end of the 70s this company had a difficult time with moped parts, and decided to expend in the automotive industry. And by the 80s they barely made any moped parts, and automotive parts was there new focus. At the end of the 80s they only made mirror adjusting actuators. In 1995 the company was sold to Eaton.
Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Audio equipment Cable Gas

4421 - 4440 of 4636 Posts