4401 - 4420 of 4808 Posts

· Registered
87 Alfa Spider Quad
69 Posts

· Registered
1,596 Posts

Got some parts can’t wait for Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a PITA to work on anything under the Center column. Since I was there I’ve been holding off on a lot a little jobs.
Change most of the light bulbs
Tried to fix the joy stick for the mirrors. I cleaned the moving pieces - lots of little spring and etc. Had to use tweezers. I failed…. Going to buy chrome graduate mirrors to solve that problem. It will look better any way. That’s for another day
Cleaned the carpets.
Replaced the gators.
Install blue tooth retro radio.
Ran monster cables under the carpet to the back for use later.
Installed a microphone for hands-free phone.
Re riveted The center column brackets.
And gave everything a really good cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1983 Spider Veloce
110 Posts
I finished a long-awaited video on motor mount replacement on the S3 Spiders! Those of you who have done this job know they are notoriously difficult on the passengers side. I how to alleviate some of the struggle by giving us some visuals and a step-by-step guide on how to replace it!

· Registered
213 Posts
I almost washed my car. Got yesterday's mail and looked for the garden hoses the roofers rearranged a week or so ago.

It was overcast so I put my Alfa in the driveway. Took the mail in and the power went out. No coffee, bummer! It started to rain heavily. I was on an automated call with the power company when I heard the sweet sound of the neighbor's stand by generator kick on. Finally got the robot to accept my outage report.

It started to rain hard just as power was restored. Coffee first. My Alfa would understand. Car was outside for a few hours in the rain. I went to check on it. It looked ok so today was a natural wash and late coffee.

I'll call the mechanic in the morning. The AC is out. I hope it's refrigerant. Wish me luck.

Have a great Alfa Sunday!

· Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo Spider
20 Posts
If anyone follows the 3D printing forum, you'll have seen last week that I made a test print of the VVT bushing out of the fairly standard plastic we use in the printers at the library where I work. Today, I sent off to have the bushing made out of TPU, a rubberized heat and vibration-resistant material that other folks have used with a great deal of success. The part ended up costing me less than $10, and it'll be going on my S4 shortly.

· Premium Member
1986 Spider Graduate
228 Posts
Reactions: danveloce

· Premium Member
258 Posts
So sorry- what happened?
Not quite sure yet. Part of issue is battery was drained. But even after a jump (well two) it would idle fine and drive super slowly but once accelerating much or for very long would die. I couldn’t hear the outside fuel pump which is pretty loud so it probably wasn’t running. My theory is that the tank pump was doing enough to supply some fuel but once accelerating that wasn’t enough to overcome forward movement making it harder for just one pump to push fuel forward. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t yet know if the pump is dead or if something else was causing it. Also suspecting that’s either my battery or alternator is not quite operating at 100% too.

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Not quite sure yet. Part of issue is battery was drained. But even after a jump (well two) it would idle fine and drive super slowly but once accelerating much or for very long would die. I couldn’t hear the outside fuel pump which is pretty loud so it probably wasn’t running. My theory is that the tank pump was doing enough to supply some fuel but once accelerating that wasn’t enough to overcome forward movement making it harder for just one pump to push fuel forward. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t yet know if the pump is dead or if something else was causing it. Also suspecting that’s either my battery or alternator is not quite operating at 100% too.
My bet is either the in tank pump or the main pump?

When my in tank pump tapered hose came loose it didn’t cause a problem till the tank went under a 1/2 a tank, sputtered than died, would not restart till I filled the tank up about a1/2 tank. Thus proving to me that the in tank pump is critical even if the main pump is good.

i re attached the intank pump tapered hose and used ss wire to hold the two sections together so that would never happen again.

Time to check both pumps IMO.

· Premium Member
7,595 Posts
My bet is either the in tank pump or the main pump?

When my in tank pump tapered hose came loose it didn’t cause a problem till the tank went under a 1/2 a tank, sputtered than died, would not restart till I filled the tank up about a1/2 tank. Thus proving to me that the in tank pump is critical even if the main pump is good.

i re attached the intank pump tapered hose and used ss wire to hold the two sections together so that would never happen again.

Time to check both pumps IMO.
A spider can still run fairly decent down to a quarter of a tank with a dead intake pump.

What happened with yours is when the hose came loose. It started sucking air foaming the fuel in the lines.

· Premium Member
1971 Spider (USA) 1750 Spica, 1974 Spider, 1976 Spider, 1981 Spider
589 Posts
So, been driven insane the past couple of weeks by a rattle coming from the right rear quarter. Thought it was inside the trunk, but no. Then started thinking the worst — trailing arm. Jacked her up and crawled under. Noticed that the shock (my beautiful Koni Reds!) didn’t look quite right. pulled off the cap, and sure enough, the nuts had worked themselves loose and come completely off! What’s really bugging me, though, is that I didn’t really notice any performance/handling degradation. Should I have…?

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Wire

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Liquid Gas

Blue Red Gas Sleeve Plastic bag
Blue Red Gas Sleeve Plastic bag

· Registered
1,596 Posts
After installing the gaters last week, today was the frist day I drive the spider. I was going down the circler ramp in the parking garage the stick shift (2nd gear) keep popping out of gear. Then I relized the new gaters were really stiff. I sat them in the sun for a few hour before I installed, they were very flexable and easy to work with. Now a week later in a dark garage the gaters are stiff. I also noticed it running throught grears on the way home the movment from gear to gear was stiff. I guess time will loosing them up or did I do something wrong?

· Registered
1999 Mercedes C43, 2003 SL 500, 2000 BMW 540/6 , !981 Alfa Spider
229 Posts
So, been driven insane the past couple of weeks by a rattle coming from the right rear quarter. Thought it was inside the trunk, but no. Then started thinking the worst — trailing arm. Jacked her up and crawled under. Noticed that the shock (my beautiful Koni Reds!) didn’t look quite right. pulled off the cap, and sure enough, the nuts had worked themselves loose and come completely off! What’s really bugging me, though, is that I didn’t really notice any performance/handling degradation. Should I have…?

View attachment 1747367

View attachment 1747368

View attachment 1747369

View attachment 1747362 View attachment 1747362
I had the top rod of a rear shock ( actually a Koni Red) snap completely off. I would hear a knock when hitting a large bump on the freeway, but never saw the damage or noticed any performance change until my mechanic found it while doing another job many, many months later. Had no idea when and how it happened, although now I think it could have been that top nut backing itself off.

· Premium Member
1971 Spider (USA) 1750 Spica, 1974 Spider, 1976 Spider, 1981 Spider
589 Posts
I had the top rod of a rear shock ( actually a Koni Red) snap completely off. I would hear a knock when hitting a large bump on the freeway, but never saw the damage or noticed any performance change until my mechanic found it while doing another job many, many months later. Had no idea when and how it happened, although now I think it could have been that top nut backing itself off.
Sooooooo bizarre! It’s even double-nutted. I heard the rattle pretty much every bump that I went over — they love their speed bumps here. Truly annoying. Wonder what the worst-case outcome could’ve been…?

4401 - 4420 of 4808 Posts