Alfa Romeo Forums banner
4,341 - 4,360 of 5,855 Posts
Ken: Those new lug nuts really make a difference!

Springs, Shocks, and Discs...was hoping to have a nice road-trip this weekend but realized (they crumbled in my hands) that the bushings on the rear antiroll links needed to be replaced so she'll sit on jacks until next week when the new links arrive from Classic Alfa. I had been calling her "Gladstone" in honor of Dustin Hoffman but I'm changing her name to "money pit" LOL.

I changed the sending unit, filter, and all the fuel hoses in the trunk but there is still a very strong gasoline smell. The filler hose was cracked so I thought replacing all the hoses was prudent but no idea where to look now as the suggestions from the board and HPSI point to hoses as the sources of a gas smell in the trunk. Its truly overwhelming at times. No visible leaks in the tank but she does seem to burn a lot of gas. Any suggestions?

Smell could be coming from the gasket around the float sender atop the tank? Pull up the carpet and see.

David OD
Laguna CA

My trunk started having the gas fume smell and all the screws for the float sending unit where it attaces to the fuel tank were loose. I still get a slight oder on any thing in the trunk, like a jacket. I would like to hear more of you investgation.

My fuel filler hose had a crack which I was convinced was the cause of the odor so I replaced that with a new hose from Classic Alfa. Got a bit better but still a strong smell. Next, did a replacement of all the hoses in the trunk using the HPSI kit. Pretty easy project, still an odor. Replaced the sending unit and gasket at the same time. Thought it was spilled fuel from the leak(s) so I left the trunk open on a hot day. Got better until I drove the car. Next step was replacing the hoses under the car and the fuel filter. One of those hoses also had a leak and I think that was the primary source of the odor. I still think a contributor was/is spilled fuel inside the trunk but the leaks perpetuated it. None of the work was expensive or difficult and the condition of the hoses was pretty bad so a good few projects. Now I’m noticing a fuel smell coming from the engine which was masked by the stronger odor from the trunk, but that’s beyond my skill set so I’ll address it with a pro this winter. For now, performance and MPG are up and the odor is tolerable. Not sure this is helpful but hopefully its a checklist for you.

Finally got the right door to stop rattling with a new rubber alignment wedge and then opened it up to fix the inside rattle.
There are two screws (#2) that secure the glass to the regulator wires and the rear one was missing the rubber gasket and lower rubber strip. Pretty easy to find some similar parts in my mountains of spares.
Put it back together and presto, Robert's your mother's brother. Nary a rattle to be heard.

Book Font Parallel Rectangle Publication

Firmed up the lumbar area of the S4 seats, pretty easy fix. Remove the two screws on the seatback cover and slap a 12" x 6" piece of 1/8" scrap plywood. If it isn't enough I imagine you could slide a piece of foam in there too but it's pretty close quarters and this seems about right for moi.

Attachments

Yesterday washed the Graduate with a product from Chemical Guys (Clean Slate) that removes all previous waxes, sealants, residue from polishes, etc. Used a cay bar along with the wash. The car looks much better (haze is gone) and is ready for an attack of Meguiars Professional compound for microfiber discs and D/A polishers. Hoping to remove some more scratches and swirls and level the orange peel sections to an acceptable finish.

My “just replace the vacuum hoses” project has snowballed into also cleaning maybe replacing the OVS, repairing the cross-engine intake hose, replacing the OVS hoses, fuel lines, injector lines, injector seals, and now apparently the darn coolant heater return and maybe the other radiator hoses. So probably flush the coolant while I’m at it. Only 10 days until the next cars and coffee wish me luck.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Tints and shades

You and your Alfa will be very pleased that you did this work before having a breakdown far from home!! You are to be congratulated for doing the complete job!

My “just replace the vacuum hoses” project has snowballed into also cleaning maybe replacing the OVS, repairing the cross-engine intake hose, replacing the OVS hoses, fuel lines, injector lines, injector seals, and now apparently the darn coolant heater return and maybe the other radiator hoses. So probably flush the coolant while I’m at it. Only 10 days until the next cars and coffee wish me luck.
View attachment 1745001
Save those Romablok clamps - wire brush & CLR will clean them up. Fuel lines are safety-critical, replace every one of them, bumper-to-bumper.

David OD
Laguna CA

this post is deja vu for me.
What started out as motor mount replacement turned into everything you listed (because I had to remove the plenum of course) plus entire fuel line replacement, radiator replacement and water pump replacement.
...injector hoses, all vacuum lines, radiator hoses, belts, OVS, distributor cap, plug wires, plugs, valve cover gasket....you know, while I'm at it and while it's apart kinda thing.

it can snowball in a hurry!
congrats on the repairs!!

It was a big Alfa day. I started the morning washing and detailing my spider. Drove 40 miles to the South Bay show and shine that included a pizza lunch. While I was on the freeway in the morning I took a picture of the speedo and tack. My spider sweet spot is 75 mph tacking at 3500 rpms. Super smooth ride even with the top down.

I went over the coastal mountain to a friends house. All my friends from the old neighbors where there.

I headed home about 7:00pm. I drove through the Redwood trees, 75 plus deg. on a two lane mountain roads for 2 hours with no cars in front of me. This was another great Alfa driving experience. I will say I had a very sprinted drive. As dusk approached the green back light on the instrument panel looked awesome.

My 1984 S3 spider really fits the bill for being a very capable and useable fun car.

Ken
The gauges look great! Did you do an LED upgrade? I've put LEDs in my 81 Spider, but won't install back in the car for several months. Hope it looks as good as yours do.

Reactions: Asheahan01

I decided to upgrade my stereo. I purchased a retro manufacture radio. It looks very plan. It is high tech with blue tooth for my phone to play music and use the phone. No cords and it has a hands free mic for the phone. There is a ton of features but reality will only use the phone, radio and I phone music play list.
This radio is a PITA to in stall but I am getting it mostly done. I am not really happy were I placed the mic. I am going to re think it.
I going to clean the carpet, fix some of the rivets on the center column. Then pull the rub boot off and make an inspection. More later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished the cut and buff on the '86 Graduate today. Removed a majority of the scratches and swirls but some were too deep for me to feel comfortable going after. Interesting that the front clip and trunk lid were repainted with a single stage and the rear fenders were repainted with base/clear. The single stage was much easier to correct. There is a significant improvement and I can be more proud to drive him now. I'm thinking of using Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax sealant as it worked well on my '94 DeVille. The stainless and chrome is in good shape and I'll get it polished over the next few days.

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Plant

4,341 - 4,360 of 5,855 Posts