Alfa Romeo Forums banner

401 - 420 of 1934 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Time to do some minor jobs and improvements during the winter. My Osso is on supports now and I am replacing the conventional bulbs to LED lamps, which give a better and brighter look. They say. Then some other service, oil, filter etc. The white Osso inspired me, thanks to Alfanut in CA.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Spent most of the day yesterday working on the interior of our 89. New door panels (see other thread), tidying up some stuff like the vents

I also wasted a couple of hours thinking I could swap the steering wheel with the wooden finish GTV6 wheel which came with car we just bought. Wrong! Gtv6 use splines, spider a key...

Speaking of which, a few days ago we added a third Alfa to our "collection". Found a pristine, original owner 81 GTV6 in Annapolis which we drove home to Miami thru the blue ridge earlier this week. What a fantastic car and great sounding V6! While it is an early model, it has been upgraded to later specs over the years and is a blast to drive. Even more fun than the Spider...

To my friend Ray, who started this thread, this is all thanks to you and we wish you were still with us to go for a drive!

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Went for a Drive, Took her to the Garage for winter sleep I guess...Unless a nice day comes along!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Autumn in Connecticut. Took a drive on the Merritt Parkway to New Haven and up to East Rock Park for an overlook of the city and Long Island Sound. Followed by lunch at an Italian deli on Orange street. A perfect Saturday. That's a reflection of my hair in the instrument gauges. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Started replacing the original cast iron exhaust manifold & 'old' s/s system on my '69 boat-tail 1750 Spider with a new full Alfaholics GTA-style stainless steel exhaust including headers ...

Old:

New:

:wink2:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Took my son in law for a spin around town yesterday. He loved it. I was torn between leaving the car cold so I could investigate the exhaust leak, and taking him out. In the end I couldn't resist going for drive (and showing off the car) on such a beautiful day, but the exhaust is getting more raucous with every outing, and starting to 'burble' on decel. I suspect the downpipe is split/holed at a heat shield weld as the shield is also making a racket. I have an appointment with a good, independent muffler shop this week to see if it's weldable. If not, I'll probably be getting the Magnaflow 23511. From what I read, though, it sounds like jigging/welding quality of this system can be a little inconsistent, making it difficult for a shadetree mechanic without welding/cutting/grinding tools to get a smooth install. So I might opt to let the shop handle it if labor isn't too high.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Began the task of correcting a few electrical control and display issues by removing the rear console and the front console.

The goal is to repair or replace the speedometer, figure out why the turn signal arm doesn't automatically return after left turns, and determine why the seat belt buzzer is inop.

Next step is the removal of the side console covers, followed by the single piece Enbloc knee bolster, then the steering column clamshell, the steering wheel, the combo switch (if necessary) and finally the instrument cluster.

I have removed all of this stuff several times and it never gets much easier or less time consuming.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
figure out why the turn signal arm doesn't automatically return after left turns
I have the same issue but only after right turns.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Vin

·
Registered
942 Posts
Got her new shoes...(tires)...after being to Gulfport a few weeks ago...started getting some vibration...thought I could have lost a weight, or maybe a bad engine mount....but found a "bubble" on the inside of passenger front tire.... thinking it would be easy, called the tire place for a replacement....since two years they don't make these anymore, and no more stocked, all sold! Bought mine 3 years ago, had probably 60-70 % left on wear.... so, bite the bullet bought 4 new....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Got my exhaust leak and rattle fixed at the muffler shop. No broken welds, just one missing and one loose nut holding the down pipe to the manifold. 30 minutes and $40 later she was quieter than ever. Didn't even need the new gasket I brought along; the existing one looked solid and original, so I opted to re-use it.

I think those nuts must have been loose when I picked her up, and working their way off ever since. I felt a little guilty not getting after it sooner and fixing it myself, but it would have been a real pain without the lift and the super-long ratchet extension the shop used, plus the trip to the hardware store to replace the missing nut. Definitely worth the time and aggravation savings to have them do it, and allowed me to have a good look at everything else under the car while it was up. All looked pretty good. Will want to get after the crusty brake lines and fuel hoses as planned, but suspension, engine/trans mount and driveline rubber bits all looked OK.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Drive, drive , drive!

I just got mine a few weeks ago and I’m going to clean the rear view mirror and clean the radiator fins. I have been obsessed with Alfa’s since I was 14, I had an 1982 Fiat Spider when I turned 16 but that was the closest I got to my Italian dream until now. Needless to say, every time I’m in it, I drive it like it’s stolen😍

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
On turn signal canceling: On my early Duetto, the turn signal has a long spring that wraps around a groove on the steering wheel. This spring connects to the turn signal lever, and provides the force to cancel turns. It also runs in a bit of grease to reduce wear, and depends on proper tension to work. Since our cars are aging - better than I am - the spring can stretch a bit and fail to cancel erratically.

All it takes is (Hah! ALL? on an Alfa?) is to shorten it bit. And I mean a BIT. I tightened mine one loop at a time until it worked well.

Robert

·
Registered
7,378 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Saturday morning. Ignored the chores, left the leaves, ditched the dump run. Took the back roads to a Louisiana bbq joint ( in Connecticut!) for lunch on one of the last warm-enough-for-the-top-down days. Soon it will be only a once a month maintenance drive over the winter months up and down the dry highway with the top up and the heat blasting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Loaded the '76 Spider on the trailer for the last event of our autocross season tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Replaced the 2 anti-rattle straps on the soft top latches, and while I was in there, finally got 'round to sorting out the interior lamp in the rear view mirror.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Does yesterday count?
Here's a video of our last SCCA autocross of the season; on a small minor league baseball stadium parking lot - coated with driveway sealer. Lots of slipping and sliding for a 44 second run. Sorry for the length, just getting familiar with GoPro and You Tube:

401 - 420 of 1934 Posts