Alfa Romeo Forums banner
3981 - 4000 of 4020 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I drove my 84 yesterday to an famous intersection called Alice’s. There was a nice mix of sport cars and motorcycles. There was a lot of water crossing the road in the mountains. Spiders are so well designed, there was very little water over spray from the wet roads. The reason why I mentioned the water over spray is I just detail my spider from having to drive it in the rain to work every day while my wife’s car was in the body shop.

Happy New Years

Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another warm day in Maryland. Racing to remove gas tank and center driveshaft and to 'line up' a replacement RR brake line on my recently purchased 63 Giulia. Enjoying every minute. Happy New 2022.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Treated the Spider to 4 new fuel injectors. I'd had mine cleaned before, about 15 years ago but after 38 years I figured the original injectors didn't own me anything anymore.
I've also replaced the connectors for the injectors, CTS, TPS, CPS etc.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Treated the Spider to 4 new fuel injectors. I'd had mine cleaned before, about 15 years ago but after 38 years I figured the original injectors didn't own me anything anymore.
I've also replaced the connectors for the injectors, CTS, TPS, CPS etc.
Which ones/ where did you get them, if I may ask?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ended up with the standard Motor Products injectors from Rock Auto, ~$42 each.
I really couldn’t find any consensus on aftermarket injectors but these claimed to be made in USA and had longer warranty (3 years).
Car runs great and idles smoother.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Can’t recommend enough to pull FI’s every couple of years to have them flow tested.

A few years back found the # 4 injector on my Spider had such a low flow it was causing a very lean condition the other 3 weren’t great either. They were only 10y years old.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The whole story was I had a leak on the #3 injector due to old seal. I pulled fuel rail and replaced seals and fuel hoses to the rails. I had tried cleaning the original injectors with carb cleaner while I had them removed and after reinstalling, it seemed like the # injector would fire at all. Pulled the rail again and placed my order for new injectors!

I've had my car so long (purchased in '92 from my brother who bought it fin 1986 with 15k miles from original owner) I sometimes don't understand when something needs attention that I've already done it like fuel hoses and injector seals). When I look in my records, I realize the the previous work was performed 15 years ago!
The other day, the battery turned over slow and I thought that I'd purchased a battery just a few years ago. Date code on battery says January of 2011...guess I got my money's worth out of it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The whole story was I had a leak on the #3 injector due to old seal. I pulled fuel rail and replaced seals and fuel hoses to the rails. I had tried cleaning the original injectors with carb cleaner while I had them removed and after reinstalling, it seemed like the # injector would fire at all. Pulled the rail again and placed my order for new injectors!

I've had my car so long (purchased in '92 from my brother who bought it fin 1986 with 15k miles from original owner) I sometimes don't understand when something needs attention that I've already done it like fuel hoses and injector seals). When I look in my records, I realize the the previous work was performed 15 years ago!
The other day, the battery turned over slow and I thought that I'd purchased a battery just a few years ago. Date code on battery says January of 2011...guess I got my money's worth out of it.
Many of us make tackle the issue with out reviewing our records first.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1987 Spider Veloce
72 Posts
Today I was using my spider as a daily driver. As I was crossing the intersection and older women gave me the thumbs up.

Ken
Nice! I've been surprised by the reactions - I didn't drive it a ton between getting it and realizing it needed a lot of work, but driving my S3 I've gotten compliments or "what is that?!" at least once literally every time I've driven it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Nice! I've been surprised by the reactions - I didn't drive it a ton between getting it and realizing it needed a lot of work, but driving my S3 I've gotten compliments or "what is that?!" at least once literally every time I've driven it.
Nice looking spider. We do not see a lot of gold ones around. What year is it? Sounds like you have a few issues to sort out. I have a theory that a S3 in the end will cost $13,000 to $15,000 bring them up to a reliable very good looking runner with a decent interior and a new top. Of course the dollar amount varies on how much work you do on your own.

Good news is there where a lot of S3 sold in the US. This means plenty of sheet metal parts around. I tend to drive my spider a lot knowing if I get in to an accident the spider is repairable.

The S3 still has the old school Alfa driving feel with the reliability and Comfort and of a more modern spider.

Look forward to the your Spider updates.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1987 Spider Veloce
72 Posts
Nice looking spider. We do not see a lot of gold ones around. What year is it? Sounds like you have a few issues to sort out. I have a theory that a S3 in the end will cost $13,000 to $15,000 bring them up to a reliable very good looking runner with a decent interior and a new top. Of course the dollar amount varies on how much work you do on your own.

Good news is there where a lot of S3 sold in the US. This means plenty of sheet metal parts around. I tend to drive my spider a lot knowing if I get in to an accident the spider is repairable.

The S3 still has the old school Alfa driving feel with the reliability and Comfort and of a more modern spider.

Look forward to the your Spider updates.

Ken
Yeah I fell in love with the gold... barely missed out on one a couple hours south of me, and then right after found one a couple hours north of me. The PO did a lot of work including new top and headlights, though the paint needs some touching up. I've had to replace rear muffler, brake master, and next have to do the engine mounts and tie rod ends. I thought I was buying a car, ended up acquiring a hobby but that's OK!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
or "what is that?!" at least once literally every time I've driven it.
I get that sometimes with the Duetto - they just don't know what it is.
I once pulled up to the gas pumps next to a Miata. I sort of felt like, "Luke, this is your grandfather!" but the guy didn't even notice.

·
Premium Member
1987 Spider
76 Posts
Upgrading my S3's rubber interior touch points to a wooden steering wheel and wooden shift knob have greatly enhanced that "old school Alfa driving feel".

I've gotten three compliments on my Spider so far:

Two were from people who said, "Nice Fiat!"

The other was from some lady probably in her late 70s who told me the car was "sexy". This left me feeling a little weird.

:oops:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I get that sometimes with the Duetto - they just don't know what it is.
I once pulled up to the gas pumps next to a Miata. I sort of felt like, "Luke, this is your grandfather!" but the guy didn't even notice.
He noticed... he was just too embarrassed to let it show.

3981 - 4000 of 4020 Posts