Alfa Romeo Forums banner

381 - 400 of 1915 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I did the real fix on my emergency brake lever today after work. Filed and reshaped a couple of worn ratchet teeth, and resharpened the pawl piece itself.

I'm taking Conedriver's advice also, and pushing in the button as I raise the lever, to lessen the wear on the pawl. Works just fine again! Wish I could have hardened the pawl with a torch, but all I have is a butane soldering torch and that won't put out enough heat to get the steel up to a red/yellow temperature.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Picked Up My Spider Today After Paint & Final Bodywork, For All Of You "anti-red" People The Car Was Originally Red (ar514?) So I Stayed With Red - Rosso Corsa (ferrari red), I Think It Came Out "perfect"; Better Then I Expected. -John

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Okay, so it's more like 'this week' than 'today', but I've been joyriding around every day since getting my '85 back on the road last week after taking her down to replace the in-tank fuel pump, flush fluids and the OVS, re-torque the head, rejuvenate the leather seats and perform a bunch of other miscellaneous maintenance, cleaning, and inspection.

She started right up and ran great after sitting for five weeks, but I think I need to have a look at the Aux Air Valve as she needs to have the throttle cracked to start, and does not fast-idle when cold. Also, she seems to have developed an exhaust leak somewhere around the manifold-to-downpipe connection. I'm hoping it's just the gasket, but haven't investigated thoroughly enough to be sure. I expect to encounter a lot of things like this over the coming months as she's getting driven a lot more frequently - and probably harder (ref. 'Italian Tune-up' :wink2:) - than she has for years.

The fuel mileage continues to amaze me, averaging around 35 MPG with little variation from city to highway or with changes in driving style. A big part of this is that most of my driving is above 6000 feet, and the EFI is metering out proportionally less fuel all the time. I look forward to someday getting her down to sea level and letting all 115 horses out of the corral.

The one disappointment is that she still seems to have a fuel-delivery issue when the level gets much below half a tank. The new pump started moaning about 40 miles into the shake-down cruise, and I felt a slight hesitation under acceleration through a hard left-hander shortly thereafter. It only took 7.5 gallons to fill up, and I can still hear some pump noise now where I hadn't noticed anything at first.

Given the aforementioned superlative fuel mileage, it won't be difficult to keep the level above half, but I'd like to know that I can take it down closer to empty in a pinch without a problem. The main pump and filter were replaced less than 2 years and 2000 miles ago along with the in-tank pump by the PO's shop, and the old pump screen looked pretty clean, but I suppose it's possible things are crudded up with dirt/rust/varnish, causing back-pressure problems for the new in-tank pump. I installed it with a proper stepped hose, screen, and even an NOS rubber isolator in the bracket so there shouldn't be any problem lifting fuel from a low level.

So far so good otherwise, and I'm loving the open-air driving experience!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
After nearly passing out from gas fumes with the top and windows up on Tue I left her at the shop for new fuel filler hose and all the other hoses back there to be replaced. But before I took her I had a colleague show me how to clean the electrical connections on the license plate lights.. None worked, but now two work.. I'm going into the garage shortly to work on the third (which worked on the bench with a battery....).

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
The one disappointment is that she still seems to have a fuel-delivery issue when the level gets much below half a tank. The new pump started moaning about 40 miles into the shake-down cruise, and I felt a slight hesitation under acceleration through a hard left-hander shortly thereafter. It only took 7.5 gallons to fill up, and I can still hear some pump noise now where I hadn't noticed anything at first.
is there excessive vacuum in the tank when you fill up? (ie. does air woosh in when you remove the gas cap)
if so, might be the blocked/bad check valves by the fuel vapour canister in the trunk.
Next time it gets below 1/2 tank, loosen or remove the gas cap and see if thngs improve.

·
Registered
937 Posts
not yesterday , but Wednesday...drove it to the Alfa Mechaninic for electrical gremlins...most likely bad grounds or short somewhere.....when I drove to Gulfport two weeks ago, 6 hrs , no problem , just cruising along...by the time I passed Bay St Louis, suddenly three gauges dropped ded, Fuel, oil, Temp...and generator (Alt) light cam on....as I was 20 minutes away I kept going....arrived at my destination...checked fan belt, it was still there...thought it may be alternator, so looked up pricing on it from Vicks...but it was wed night and had to go back to Houston Saturday (but due to hurricane coming we left Friday)...not sure I could get it overnight plus installed...took to mechanic there , (who did not know Alfas, had no wiring diagram and said they were stumped)...told him to just check if it charged...it did...so I drove it back w/o gauges and red light on on dash....almost back in Houston (where streets got a bit bumpier!) gauges worked off and on a few times... drove it here over the weekend, gauges worked almost all the time...TYPICAL! when you take it in , you don't want it to work.....lol
so now I left it after explaining, hopefully he can find something....

·
Registered
86 Posts
is there excessive vacuum in the tank when you fill up?
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked this when I first had problems after picking up the car. There was no pressure differential between the tank and ambient then, and I haven't detected any since. I even left the cap loose after that first fill-up just to be sure, but it didn't help. Whatever killed the old pump and is making the new pump unhappy, it isn't a venting problem.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ride! Enjoying the last few 70' days of this season. We went for the oil change service yesterday in anticipation of putting Alfa to bed soon. Hope we get more bonus days!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Replaced door seal on my S4. Very easy. Perfect fit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
To get ready for tomorrow's Alfa/Ferrari/Fiat Clubs Color Tour I popped the cam cover off and tightened the timing chain. Over the 43+ years I've owned the car I've used 2 or 3 different methods to do it. When I get the characteristic "rattle" at about 2,500 RPM I know it's getting loose. The method I use I saw in a posting on the old Alfa Digest that was reprinted from the St. Louis Alfa Club in the mid-90s. It involves using a pin type cam rotation tool (I got it at Harbor Freight. It is called a "Pittsburgh Adjustable Pin Wrench" and is very similar to the rarely seen OEM Alfa cam tool) and rotating the cams to take up the slack and then releasing the tensioner bolt. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
1200km, two day trip in Victoria's Highlands...Awesome

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fixed that gotdamned headlight switch (fingers crossed) it only took 6hrs and 2 “parts” runs... I did learn a bunch about my new-to-me 87 quad and a little confidence gained in repairing that beast helps. Celebrated with a brake bleed, than a lap around the local freeway at dusk. Here’s to friends helping friends!

381 - 400 of 1915 Posts