Alfa Romeo Forums banner
3961 - 3980 of 4020 Posts

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Polished up this bolt holding the hose that goes to the heater valve. Car feels faster now :)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Product

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I had let my Spider sit for 2 weeks. I started up and drove it to work. That was a week ago, couple of days ago I just started up to back it out of the garage. Couple of hours later started back up to put in the garage.
Yesterday it would not start. Volt meter read 11.3, not enough to wake up the ECU. I jumped with my F150 and it fired right up. Of course I took the spider out for 20 mile loop and the battery was recovered and at 13 volts.
Two thoughts 1. Yes I have a very weak drain on the battery. 2. We read and help many people on this board - my Alfa will not start! How many times was it to low volts?

Have a Great Alfa day!

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I had let my Spider sit for 2 weeks. I started up and drove it to work. That was a week ago, couple of days ago I just started up to back it out of the garage. Couple of hours later started back up to put in the garage.
Yesterday it would not start. Volt meter read 11.3, not enough to wake up the ECU. I jumped with my F150 and it fired right up. Of course I took the spider out for 20 mile loop and the battery was recovered and at 13 volts.
Two thoughts 1. Yes I have a very weak drain on the battery. 2. We read and help many people on this board - my Alfa will not start! How many times was it to low volts?

Have a Great Alfa day!

Ken
You could have a weak battery or a drain as you said. You could put a battery tender on it if you do not drive it much.

Reactions: alfaromeoblack

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You could have a weak battery or a drain as you said. You could put a battery tender on it if you do not drive it much.
I just want to drive it alot and some day I will find the lose ground or broken wire.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
My wife car is going into the body shop. I will be driving my spider all week. It will be raining all day long. Good news I do park in a parking garage in San Francisco

Ken

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
when the battery recovers seemingly to 13v after a drive or after a charge
let it sit a few hours then check it again with the voltmeter.

if it has dropped a volt or more, it is time for a new battery.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Today the rain was very heavy and I drove my 84 spider to work. The thing I was most thankful for was the defroster work get. I never had a fogged up window. Oh yea my cabin was nice and warm.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It has been a great week with my Spider. Wife’s car in the body shop so the 84spider is the daily driver for the next couple of weeks. It has been raining a lot and I have been dry and warm. The traffic was so bad getting out of town I decided to go home the cost. What a great way to go home.

Ken

·
Registered
109 Posts
Contributed yet more to Classic Alfa’s profits. However, I can’t grumble about the quality of the panels and the speed at which they deliver.

I am thinking of having my salary paid directly to their account to speed up the decent into poverty.

The rust on the right side of the Spider is not as bad as the left because it’s been worked on before. The issue is the quality of the previous work, which is having to be removed and rebuilt properly.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It has been a great week with my Spider. Wife’s car in the body shop so the 84spider is the daily driver for the next couple of weeks. It has been raining a lot and I have been dry and warm. The traffic was so bad getting out of town I decided to go home the cost. What a great way to go home.

Ken
When I bought my 1984 Spider in 2014 the tires were oval. I went to American Tire company and bought what was on the shelf. Falken Sincera and the are junk. During the last couple of rainy days I was sliding all around. I will have to say the posey rear is kind of fun when the tires break loose. I would rate them 3 out of 1 through 5.

If I was smart I would of bought 30,000 mile tires. Who care about the limit ware out. These are Sunday driver, not daily drivers. I rather have great gripping tires then long lasting tires.

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
The '76 Spider is put away for the winter. However, an independent photographer stopped by during one of the summer events and took this neat picture so I can remember what I was doing (y)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
DOT legal tires are Hoosier A7 275/35x15. The 3 degrees negative camber assures full tire contact under hard cornering. I run 20 - 22 PSI

Keizer wheels 15x10

2000cc. Engine & suspension changes for SCCA Street Prepared autocross competition, Class FSP. Still running Ingram HP SPICA with additional modifications by Wes.

Wow, those are fat tires on a spider, what engine you got in it?

Reactions: joelynbeach

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Begin by isolating and understanding each section. 1. The bulb & housing. 2. The fuse block/holder 3.The door jam switch.
First verify that the bulb is working and the plastic housing has a good connection. Remove the plastic housing from the bottom of the mirror (it just pulls out) and connect it to your car battery (+ / -) with some automotive wire and flip the switch - it should light up (watch if the black switch is making the connection). If it does not light up, then spin the bulb around (maybe it's old an dirty) or replace the bulb. If it is an LED bulb pull it out, and flip it and put it back in (reverse polarity). Once you verify the housing and bulb works, put it aside. Next, get yourself a cheapo 12V circuit tester and put the alligator clip to a clean unpainted ground point somewhere and check if there is power to where the fuse goes (the fuse box diagram below is for my 1975 Spider, yours might be slightly different). The 12V tester should light up. If there is no power then check the wiring to the fuse block. Once you get power to the fuse block, put in a new fuse and test out the power to the black and white mirror connecting wires with the 12V tester. If there is no power, then maybe the switch inside the door jam is not working right. Give it a squirt of electrical contact cleaner ( I just use wd-40) and push it in and out a few times to get it going. Once you get power back to mirror wire, then put the housing with the bulb back into place and flip the switch and hopefully it will work.

Disclaimer: I am working off my memory and some of what I said might not be 100% perfect but it should get you in the right direction.

View attachment 1708124

View attachment 1708125

View attachment 1708128
I did get my light working. The switch is incredibly Finicky. Seem cheaply made. It is only on or off. It does not have the third option of coming on when the door opens.

Does any one have the LED light substitution info that a can switch it out with?

Ken

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
3961 - 3980 of 4020 Posts