Alfa Romeo Forums banner
3821 - 3840 of 3881 Posts

·
Premium Member
Spiders: 1971 red, 1971 white, 1973 yellow, 1974 Silver, 1980 Brown, 1982 Blue, 1992 and 93 Green
684 Posts
If you have been following my post I have been driving my spider to work on Saturday for the last couple of months. Today I drove my spider to work as usual. As I was driving home my wife called me and said her 2013 Toyota Prius would not start. She had a car load of groceries in the parking lot.

Here is the Irony, my classic 1984 Alfa had to save a modern Toyota. The Toyota just had the original battery in the car and it is time to replace it. I jump started the Toyota and my wife drove it home. This picture was taken at 4:30am. I drive my spider as often as I can. Have fun.

Ken
That Prius battery is expensive! AGM only and tiny - I had to change one in a 2007 Prius and it was around $200. For the older Prius cars, the battery sits in the right rear well behind the tire.

·
Premium Member
Spiders: 1971 red, 1971 white, 1973 yellow, 1974 Silver, 1980 Brown, 1982 Blue, 1992 and 93 Green
684 Posts
Yes, but the connection between the two (VW and Porsche) goes back into the 1930's and the 914 was built by both companies. FYI: a lowly 914 finished in sixth place at the 24 hours of Lemans race in 1970. Three 917's finished 1, 2 and 3. Ferrari finished 4th and fifth. Google: car #40, 1970 Lemans

What have I heard, date Italian, marry German .....
Many years ago, I had a 1967 912. Very cool car that felt like I was sitting on the pavement. Just like with Spiders, it felt like I was doing 80, when I was really doing 55. I sure miss that car ...

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
The other day, we had to return a UHaul truck. Our daughter had never driven my 1993 S4, so I followed her to the UHaul place, then threw her the keys to my Spider. She likes cars, but I could tell she was nervous - she knows that I really like my '93. I told her to treat it gently, but don't be afraid to let the motor rev. As we cruised down Colorado Blvd, she was really enjoying the car. At the next light, I told her to let the motor rev to over 4K, then shift. You should've seen the look on her face when she opened her up a little. We finally got to the house where my better half's car was. It's a Lexus CT 200h - a decent little car that drives pretty nice. She started the Lexus and drove home - I had turned my S4 around, but she decided to go straight. I drove home like normal and waited for a few minutes, then decided to go into the house to wait. When she finally came home, she gave my S4 an incredible comment - she said driving the Lexus home was one of the biggest disappointments in her life.

She talked about my S4 for quite a while. My better half was a little upset, because she really likes her Lexus.

I think I have a new Alfisti in the making! And she hasn't driven my angry '73 or my rev happy '71 yet!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I drove my new 1973 Fiat 850 Spider Sport to work the other day. It's a fun little car - a definite odd ball!

When I got home, I jumped in my 1973 Spider for a quick blast. Oh my! The S2 feels like a Ferrari compared to the Fiat!

·
Premium Member
1991 Spider Veloce, Red
87 Posts
Finished replacing my door cards. What a long strange trip that was! Must be the weirdest card set up ever. How many different clips, studs, screws etc does one need to secure a door card?????? Then add into the mix the off center placement of many of the holes and you'll have yourself a swearing good time! But its done and looks great!
Aloha!

·
Registered
1987 Spider
52 Posts
Got my courtesy lights working. All along, I had suspected the timer relay, but that part actually turned out to be working well.

The actual problem was primarily the door switches, which had such a thick layer of corrosion on them that simply pushing them in and out would not wake them up. I unbolted all three, applied Deoxit, and wire brushed the contact areas. Easy fix.

The secondary problem was that the wiring connectors were attached wrong at the light housings. There are three sets of wires, red, black, and white. The red wire needs to be by itself on one end of the housing, as it supplies constant power. The white and black wires attach to the other end of the housing. These are a choice of grounds, depending on which position the housing lens switch is in. Black is constant ground and it goes on the small spade connector. The white wire is a switched ground (activated by door switches) that attaches to the large spade connector.

The third problem was that one of the bulbs was burned out. Takes a 36mm festoon bulb.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Today I did a complete detail on my 84 spider. Tomorrow the Northern California Alfa Romeo club is hosting all Italian day. All Italian vehicles are welcome. I volunteered for traffic control as a active club member for an hour. Excited to put my car on the lawn. When I first started washing my car I didn’t think it was so dirty. But once you get into it you realize how filthy and dull everything is. I polished the plastic window, clean the engine bay, coated the rubber and plastic pieces, put a coat of black wax on the paint, condition the interior and gave it a good vacuum. Oh yeah clean the windows. My spider is looking great. It’s not a trailer queen far from it. I drive it quite often and it’s got its share of rode chips another scratches.

Excuse my messy garage I wish it was like some of the other guys that post on this form but it’s mine and it does the job.

Ken

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Today I did a complete detail on my 84 spider. Tomorrow the Northern California Alfa Romeo club is hosting all Italian day. All Italian vehicles are welcome. I volunteered for traffic control as a active club member for an hour. Excited to put my car on the lawn. When I first started washing my car I didn’t think it was so dirty. But once you get into it you realize how filthy and dull everything is. I polished the plastic window, clean the engine bay, coated the rubber and plastic pieces, put a coat of black wax on the paint, condition the interior and gave it a good vacuum. Oh yeah clean the windows. My spider is looking great. It’s not a trailer queen far from it. I drive it quite often and it’s got its share of rode chips another scratches.

Excuse my messy garage I wish it was like some of the other guys that post on this form but it’s mine and it does the job.

Ken
Car looks great.

Nice work.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Ken. Really great to see these vintage Italian cars and your Alfa Spider that I hope to have my project look as sweet.
When I got home I realized most of my photos were non Alfa’s. The Northern Alfa Club is so strong I see must of the Alfa model all the time. The other manufacturers caught my attention that day.

Ken

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Lookin good, what is your ETR?
?...?...?...?
In my lifetime...?

I've been planning on having this on the street the last two summers, but an avalanche of "other stuff" happens every time I start.

Suspension with all new bushings and Centerline yellow springs
2-liter LS rear axle
New braking system - MC, pipes, hoses, calipers, rotors (removing Dunlop)
Fuel system / clean tank / rebuild Webers
Clutch + rear main seal
rebuild driveshaft / adapt rear flange to rear end
6" widened stock steelies with hub caps (keeping original 4.5's)
Cibie's with City Lights
Die my faded top black

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Finished rebuilding the front suspension following Vintre's excellent post- replaced all ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings. Long overdue after 37 years. Lower wishbone bushings and lower ball joint were shot as was the left center link end.
Need alignment now but on a short test drive, noticeable improvement- steering tighter, stays level around corners. Firmer feeling ride but takes bumps without jolting.
The upper wishbone must be under very little strain- ball joint still good and bushings look new although I replaced them anyway- I don't have any intention of ever doing this job again so better to just replace everything.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0
174 Posts
Finished rebuilding the front suspension following Vintre's excellent post- replaced all ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings. Long overdue after 37 years. Lower wishbone bushings and lower ball joint were shot as was the left center link end.
Need alignment now but on a short test drive, noticeable improvement- steering tighter, stays level around corners. Firmer feeling ride but takes bumps without jolting.
The upper wishbone must be under very little strain- ball joint still good and bushings look new although I replaced them anyway- I don't have any intention of ever doing this job again so better to just replace everything.
Do you have a link to Vintre's excellent post?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I got home from work tonight (took the new 4Runner to work) and headed out to the taco place for a delicious dinner. I was going to stop by the post office, but I didn't have stamps for the envelope I was mailing, so I headed home. I decided that my 1993 S4 hasn't been exercised in over a week, so I put the top down and headed off the the post office. I warmed the motor up with some slow driving at first, but once she was warmed up, I took a spirited right turn (got the ltd slip working) and took off down Sierra Madre (nice wide boulevard with huge grassy median). Got to Sierra Madre (the town) and took her nice and slow to the post office. On the way home, I opened her up on Sierra Madre (the road), turned right on Villa and let that little 2L rip! Turned left, then left again on Washington and let her rip again.

These little Alfa motors are so much more fun as they rev! Pulled into the driveway with a huge smile on my face (I was even laughing a bit)!

3821 - 3840 of 3881 Posts