11,368 Posts
try craigslist lots here in california

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got my driver's inside seat post secured with rivnuts and did the POR-15 thing to them as well as to an area with a bit of surface rust on the left firewall.

I cleaned the area from which I had removed all the bitumen sound dampener in preparation for laying down modern sound and heat insulating sheets. I cleaned the metal shifter cover and repainted it.

Next task is to lay down that mat, which looks to be no fun at all. My biggest worry is finding the holes for sheet metal screws for things like the windshield washer pump, hard plastic sides of the console and kick panels, and seat belt bolts.

It is weird that the passenger side bulkhead has a formed piece of styrofoam that goes under the insulation. I guess that's stock.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I was exposed to the world of 914 a few months ago, my spider has taken a temporary back seat to now three new 914 projects. Spider is running great, had her out last week. Got the engine back in 914 #3 after replacing a front seal (oil leak)

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
I had a friend of mine that had 914 and I did a value adjustment on it. It was a pain in the ###. I think in Germany they called Volkswagens.

Ken
They were Volkswagen’s every where but in the U.S.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Yes, but the connection between the two (VW and Porsche) goes back into the 1930's and the 914 was built by both companies. FYI: a lowly 914 finished in sixth place at the 24 hours of Lemans race in 1970. Three 917's finished 1, 2 and 3. Ferrari finished 4th and fifth. Google: car #40, 1970 Lemans

What have I heard, date Italian, marry German .....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Last night we got home from a glorious four day Spider trip. We left the Netherlands early Thursday morning and got back last night. Four days blasting across little roads all over Germany, France, Luxembourg and Belgium. We covered about 900 miles. Eiffel, Vogezen, Loraines, Ardennes and lots of other nice little back roads. Magnificent weather.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Yes, but the connection between the two (VW and Porsche) goes back into the 1930's and the 914 was built by both companies. FYI: a lowly 914 finished in sixth place at the 24 hours of Lemans race in 1970. Three 917's finished 1, 2 and 3. Ferrari finished 4th and fifth. Google: car #40, 1970 Lemans
Just to add a little info to the mix -
The 914's that placed so well at Le Mans and Daytona were 914/6GT's with a 2-liter 911 engine. Very similar to what you could buy from your Porsche-Audi Dealer in 1970-71. A wider body and track, better suspension, way better drivetrain. The 914/6 GT also took 1-2-3 at the 86 hour Marathon de la Route at Nurburgring in 1970..

The 914 was designed and engineered by Porsche to be a lightweight, entry level, mid-engined sports car with fantastic handling, in part to replace the 912. A VW-Porsche family handshake agreement meant that there would be a lower priced VW-engined version built as well. Karmann built the body shells, then they were sent to VW or Porsche to install powertrain and finish.

Somewhere along the process one of the handshakers died. His successors weren't too sure how binding the handshake was. That and other factors caused the 914 to be quite expensive to build, and the price kept sales down. A base 911 was only a few hundred more.

When you study them in person, they're not a straight box - they have really interesting lines, and are part of the Porsche mid-engine lineage from the 904, 906, 908, and contemporary with the 917.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Last night we got home from a glorious four day Spider trip. Four days blasting across little roads all over Germany, France, Luxembourg and Belgium. We covered about 900 miles. Eiffel, Vogezen, Loraines, Ardennes and lots of other nice little back roads. Magnificent weather.
THIS is why we have these cars. Thanks for sharing.

3801 - 3820 of 3881 Posts