Alfa Romeo Forums banner

361 - 380 of 1915 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
I drove my S4 from London to Nuits-St-Georges. All well, except for a 1.5 hr delay waiting for the AA as the inhibitor switch on the gearbox started to play up just as I stopped to get a 5.30 am cup of coffee.

When I tried to start up, nothing. All the cluster was alight so I knew I had power but no noise, no cranking. I thought I'd lost my starter motor. The AA man diagnosed the problem in 10 seconds and told me to fire up with the gearbox in neutral.

For the remainder of the journey the car has started from "Park" but I'd better get the gearbox to the garage when I hit my house in Italy tomorrow.

Other than that, lovely journey although I could do with a fourth gear or an overdrive. I only bought an auto because my wife only has an auto licence but the car is not done any favours by this gearbox.

Peter
Your S4 is Automatic?

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Max,

Yes. It has the ZF 3 Speed which was also quite common in BMWs (?and Volvos) of the early 90s. I think it is time to have it overhauled.

Peter
Peter,
as you are in the UK, it might be an idea to ask Anglospider (Nick) over on the AlfaOwner forum where he had his S4 autobox overhauled.

However, have you checked the 2 relays for the autobox (post #4 below)?....see some info here (including a decent pdf guide on the peugeot ZF auto - same box as spider - I posted a few years back)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/201308-1991-automatic-trans-starting-issues.html

Dom

·
Registered
556 Posts
Today I drove my spider about 130 miles and had a GREAT time! ...also froze a bit as I was dressed lightly and it was cold out.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
We had somewhat wet but fun ride in Western MA on Saturday. It is an annual event. Of the total of 13 Alfa's this time, there were four of us from NH, all in Spiders.

We drove about 80 miles as a group and then had lunch. For us, it was a 300 mile day.

John

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
We had somewhat wet but fun ride in Western MA on Saturday. It is an annual event. Of the total of 13 Alfa's this time, there were four of us from NH, all in Spiders.

We drove about 80 miles as a group and then had lunch. For us, it was a 300 mile day.

John
Let's get a pic. up.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I replaced the 10 year old trunnion bar thrust washers with new Performatek poly spacers. There's still about 1/16" to 3/32" daylight in there, so I may shim the bushing housings themselves. Lubed the spacers with the supplied grease. It's a bit quieter back there...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I spent a good chunk of the day finishing the seats on my spider, using a kit from World Upholstery /xkss.com. Excellent kit, full leather even on the sides, unlike the original which used a combo of leather and vinyl

Came out pretty nice... i m waiting for new door panels

And tonight i ll raise a glass in memory of my friend Ray (rcmanners here) who started this thread and sadly passed away a couple of months ago. We had talked about interiors, he had his spider seats done a couple of years ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
My new Alfa

Pics, or it didn't happen. :wink2:
I left it at the shop after the PPI to have some work done. It's quite the lesson in patience.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got to Calistoga yesterday after a spirited drive on the 129 and the car went dead literally a half block from our resort. A potential major bummer considering it’s our anniversary and we were here for wine tasting. Because I have a side post positive battery terminal that’s stripped (yes, I should have replaced it already) moving it around to get proper contact may have popped the positive cable loose from it’s metal tab and allowed it to melt on to the bottom of the exhaust header. Luckily, it didn’t burn completely through and I was able to wrap it enough in electrical tape to keep the weekend intact!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
Since I have "Juliet" running well after sitting for almost 20 years it was time to tackle the electrical mess that comes with PO's and years of sitting. Thanks to PapaJam I have some nice color wiring diagrams to work with, which I blew them up to Arch 3 size so I can read them without my glasses or from down the block... I had suspected the column switch was bad so I pulled the steering wheel and pulled the switch off the column. Jumping the switch I got all the lights to work so I was right, the switch was bad. Probably because Alfa in their infinite wisdom wired in no relay for the lights so all the amperage runs through the contacts.... Just a matter of time before that fails! So, I ordered a new switch from Vick Auto for an arm and a leg and am awaiting its arrival to continue on my quest to get her back on the road.
I am grateful to find and be on this site. Lotsa helpful Alfistas here and hope to contribute anything I possibly can to the awesomeness of the forums....

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Having a good time in Maine, despite a foggy and rainy day today. We had intermittent showers yesterday during the Italian car show at the Italian Heritage Center in Portland. The weather forecast is looking up.
DSCN1188.jpg

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

361 - 380 of 1915 Posts