Alfa Romeo Forums banner

3501 - 3520 of 3542 Posts

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
On Saturday, I washed my 1992 S4 and it didn't look too good. The paint is single stage and it was getting that cloudy look, so I decided to fix it up.

1. I used the Speed Clay tool with some Mothers Instant Detailer. Worked great and the paint was nice and smoooooooth!
2. I then grabbed my DA, threw on the orange pad and hit it with M100. Six full passes on the hood, trunk lid, top parts of the quarter, door and fender and the bumpers.
3. I noticed some swirl marks, so back to the DA with the softer blue pad and M205. Six faster passes on the hood, trunk lid and top parts of the quarter, door and fender. Wow, now that's a nice finish!
4. I just bought a bottle of Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene Pro. I just used it earlier in the day on my "other car" and it was now time for the S4! Gorgeous finish! I didn't hit the lower parts of the car with the DA - I should've, because on close inspection, I see paint flaws. Maybe next time???

Today, Monday (two days later), I took these pictures. There's some dust on the car - it gets dusty out here, but the shine is great and no swirl marks! I don't know if the Graphene Pro works like Hybrid Solutions, but I'm going to guess it does. So next weekend, I'm going to hit the car with a quick wash, then one more coat of wax. Looking for one year of protection!

ps, I should've done a before and after ... but you guys would've killed me if you saw the before shots!

1992 Alfa Spider Green left side after detail 050121.jpg
1992 Alfa Spider Green right front after detail 050121.jpg
1992 Alfa Spider Green right front side after detail 050121.jpg
1992 Alfa Spider Green right rear side after detail 050121.jpg

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0
150 Posts
Not today but last Saturday I drove it from the archipelago about 1 hour north of Stockholm to home. Later my wife came from work (nurse) and said we should take the spider to a friends cottage south of Stockholm. Funny to me cause she don't like riding in a convertible but we did and then i took this picture since i thought it would be funny if the spider would be the tow car for this.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Not today but last Saturday I drove it from the archipelago about 1 hour north of Stockholm to home. Later my wife came from work (nurse) and said we should take the spider to a friends cottage south of Stockholm. Funny to me cause she don't like riding in a convertible but we did and then i took this picture since i thought it would be funny if the spider would be the tow car for this.
You ever see this?
Mo in NJ

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Removed the OVS yesterday for the first time since i bought the car in 1995 and was surprised that i could blow in the top hole and both passages on the bottom let the air out easily after all reading about clogged OVS. Doesn't look to bad either, so we'll see how it looks once i get the gunk out..

View attachment 1683903
View attachment 1683904
View attachment 1683905

I don't think you read enough of my thread on Permanent fixes for these. The air pass through test is not a valid test. It's sort of like passing food through your digestive system without being processed.. It should should come out as a waste product but if it comes out looking and smelling like you just ate it.. something is not working internally. Sound disgusting but it is the best metaphor I can come up with. . Even if it is working after you "rinse" it out the crud will quickly return and block your return oil line.. in the best scenario. These two diagrams show the unit in action and failure mode. The dome over the media chamber will eventually disintegrate and you will still get a clear pas through on the "blow test" I ship world wide.
001.jpg
002.jpg
IMG_6434.JPG
IMG_6435.JPG
IMG_6436.JPG
IMG_6437.JPG

·
Registered
132 Posts
The rubber flex hose have probably swelled up in size. You need to replace them.
Ding! You are correct - the flex hose was swollen and unusable. Of course, the replacement I bought at Centerline Alfa was the wrong size, even though I double-checked the order and packing list. It was a larger bore on both sides than on my spider. I ordered two more, and am waiting for them to arrive.

At least it allowed me - FORCED me - to clean up all around both the side that is nearest the MC and the side nearest the disc. The nuts holding the tube to the flanges on both sides were bears to remove; my guess is that the last time they were tightened was in Milan in 1976.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
58 Posts
On Saturday, I washed my 1992 S4 and it didn't look too good. The paint is single stage and it was getting that cloudy look, so I decided to fix it up.

1. I used the Speed Clay tool with some Mothers Instant Detailer. Worked great and the paint was nice and smoooooooth!
2. I then grabbed my DA, threw on the orange pad and hit it with M100. Six full passes on the hood, trunk lid, top parts of the quarter, door and fender and the bumpers.
3. I noticed some swirl marks, so back to the DA with the softer blue pad and M205. Six faster passes on the hood, trunk lid and top parts of the quarter, door and fender. Wow, now that's a nice finish!
4. I just bought a bottle of Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene Pro. I just used it earlier in the day on my "other car" and it was now time for the S4! Gorgeous finish! I didn't hit the lower parts of the car with the DA - I should've, because on close inspection, I see paint flaws. Maybe next time???

Today, Monday (two days later), I took these pictures. There's some dust on the car - it gets dusty out here, but the shine is great and no swirl marks! I don't know if the Graphene Pro works like Hybrid Solutions, but I'm going to guess it does. So next weekend, I'm going to hit the car with a quick wash, then one more coat of wax. Looking for one year of protection!

ps, I should've done a before and after ... but you guys would've killed me if you saw the before shots!

View attachment 1685294 View attachment 1685295 View attachment 1685296 View attachment 1685297
Nice!!!

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
What did i do? I took apart two power mirror switches and attempted to get them working. Failed on both. These are not very robust in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Long answers to short questions:

At almost age 83, I'm not quite as fast as I remember. See attachment for times.
View attachment 1685681

SCCA has several preparation levels for Solo Events (Autocross). I run in "Street Prepared" that allows engine de-smogging, update - backdate, free intake / exhaust, free wheel / tire sizes, and several other areas for modification. The Street Prepared classes are A through F, so FSP on my car is F-Street Prepared. When my wife runs, we add an "L" for F-Street Prepared Ladies class.

With lots of classes, sometimes there may only be one car in a class. For our recent event, with 77 entries, there were 6 entries in FSP.

So how did you do and what class are they running you in?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Actually, SCCA has a "Masters index" at some of the higher level solo events. At my home region, I have to compete with the youngsters, but my mantra is: Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill".

And, way back when I pretended to be a ski racer, NASTAR had age groups.

There should be a "seniors' class like marathons or the USGA

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My story

3501 - 3520 of 3542 Posts