Alfa Romeo Forums banner

3441 - 3460 of 3551 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Spider 105-62 - Sono un Alfalazzato
18 Posts
I noticed that the 164 & 168 guys have a very active thread about what they've been up to, and I think us Spider guys and gals need to get with the program- so I'm gonna start and see what happens!

Today was a very good day! It was a beautiful warm, clear day in South Florida, and I'm sorry to tell so many of you in the more "Arctic" or "Nordic" places, but it was PERFECT top-down weather!

My Sofia (my Spider's name- still looking for a permanent occupant for that other seat!) was in prime condition, freshly painted, washed and tuned, and I even put the boot on today (it really does add that last dash of class...) so we took a ride along A1A, right along the Atlantic coast, starting in Fort Lauderdale (it's Spring Break Time- although I'm way too old for that :crying2:) where some of the beach crowd took notice of us with waves and smartphone shots, and then headed north, eventually getting into an impromptu group of 3 red convertible sports cars in a semi-caravan. Sadly, my companion's cars were from a certain manufacturer in bratwurstland, but what can you do? For a while I had a modern Maserati convertible in black as my wingman, but I think he was too cool to notice- probably because he was NOT too old for the Spring Break crowd!

Anyway, got stuck in traffic at the beach, and didn't care. Sofia ran like a champ and never threatened to overheat, and my sunblock did it's job keeping me from turning Alfa Rosso myself. :blushing:

Weather is supposed to be great here all this week (that means evening lows in the 70s, daytime highs just below 80°- that's 21-27C for you metric folks) so you may be hearing more from me soon!

Let's hear from you guys and gals!

I remember many years ago driving in a snowstorm in Syracuse NY with the top down so I could get 3 kegs of beer in my old Fiat Spider for a frat party! Any crazy persons (like me) up there in the tundra enjoying a topless winter blast?

Viva i ragni! 👏

·
Registered
1971 Spider 105-62 - Sono un Alfalazzato
18 Posts
Started on the wiring. I know it's an Italian car but the amount of spaghetti under the dash would make Mama proud. Here is to 50 years of previous hacks.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,002 Posts
tool i made to line up the lower header pipes.. the ' U ' pipe is one of two i will be useing to start the lower pipe
IMG_20210407_172710_4.jpg
IMG_20210407_172723_1.jpg

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
see ecotec conversion

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
new update on the fuel system on ' ecotec conversion page '

·
Registered
137 Posts
To get the Old Girl ready for its 48 summer with me and waking from its winter slumber, I replaced the driver's door hold open and put a new outside rear view mirror on (the old one was loose and part of the mirror coating was corroding). After putting the door panel and various inside door accoutrements back on I put the battery in and started the car for the first time in 2021. As I drove around the neighborhood I discovered that I couldn’t adjust the outside mirror to see anything. I got that nasty, but familiar, feeling, that I had screwed up and put the mirror base on backwards……. Well, at least I’m well versed now in taking off the door interior panel, window crank and door latch release…..

·
Registered
132 Posts
I attempted to bleed my front brakes. I'd replaced the calipers which were sticking badly. The front passenger went fine, but no fluid at all comes out of the front driver side. I took the bleeder valve completely out, no change.

I removed the metal tube from the caliper, nothing. I don't know if something is blocking the fluid from traveling from the MC to the caliper, or there is a mystery proportioning valve I need to consider.

I'm a bit frustrated, especially because, well, the weather is improving, and I spent a bunch of money having my SPICA rebuild by Wes Ingraham and was looking forward to some long trips. The brakes are the only thing holding that up. Pretty frustrating.

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
I attempted to bleed my front brakes. I'd replaced the calipers which were sticking badly. The front passenger went fine, but no fluid at all comes out of the front driver side. I took the bleeder valve completely out, no change.

I removed the metal tube from the caliper, nothing. I don't know if something is blocking the fluid from traveling from the MC to the caliper, or there is a mystery proportioning valve I need to consider.

I'm a bit frustrated, especially because, well, the weather is improving, and I spent a bunch of money having my SPICA rebuild by Wes Ingraham and was looking forward to some long trips. The brakes are the only thing holding that up. Pretty frustrating.
The rubber flex hose have probably swelled up in size. You need to replace them.

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
going to pull engine and tranny.. the shop who made my hard lines... put a 45 degree flare on both hard lins... a AN fitting is 37 degrees..not happy... the slave cly is inside the bellhousing

·
Registered
235 Posts
Today I installed a new heater valve, and I have the scars to prove it.

I have an A/C car so I had to remove a few air ducts etc. Getting it out sucked, removed the seats, the center console and then and only then could I see the thing clearly. I'm not a big guy so I can fit my hands under the dash but I still got cut to pieces by all the electrical connections (who knew they were so sharp). Getting it out required a lot of effort, it seems the bolts on the core are a little wider than the bolt holes on both the old and new unit. Trying to fit the unit and get the rod installed wasn't happening so I filed the bolt holes with a rat-tail file and that made things much easier (I cursed a storm but happy to say I didn't need to throw any wrenches).

I've tested the new valve with water from the gardenhose (turned down low) and it seems good, but I'm waiting on my Radiator to come back from the shop so I can test it under pressure and make any adjustments etc.

I also installed an antique A/D/S 2 Ch. Amplifier under the parcel shelf. I had the same model back in the 90's, works great for 6.5" speakers. Best part... it was free.
Heater Valve Amp IMG_9193.jpg

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Today I installed a new heater valve, and I have the scars to prove it.

I have an A/C car so I had to remove a few air ducts etc. Getting it out sucked, removed the seats, the center console and then and only then could I see the thing clearly. I'm not a big guy so I can fit my hands under the dash but I still got cut to pieces by all the electrical connections (who knew they were so sharp). Getting it out required a lot of effort, it seems the bolts on the core are a little wider than the bolt holes on both the old and new unit. Trying to fit the unit and get the rod installed wasn't happening so I filed the bolt holes with a rat-tail file and that made things much easier (I cursed a storm but happy to say I didn't need to throw any wrenches).

I've tested the new valve with water from the gardenhose (turned down low) and it seems good, but I'm waiting on my Radiator to come back from the shop so I can test it under pressure and make any adjustments etc.

I also installed an antique A/D/S 2 Ch. Amplifier under the parcel shelf. I had the same model back in the 90's, works great for 6.5" speakers. Best part... it was free.
View attachment 1683258
if you loss any blood, your car should run , nicely for a while

3441 - 3460 of 3551 Posts