Alfa Romeo Forums banner

3421 - 3440 of 3449 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

Today I went for a nice spirited ride in my spider. I came up behind what I thought was a Mazda Miata. But it was the Italian cousin, a Fiat 124 spider. For sure it moved along very quickly and was able to handle the twisty as well. Today was a top down ride but I guess it was not for the Fiat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Put some new shoes on the graduate 🤤
Just test fit for now, need to clean up a bit and get new lugs but it was a nice day and couldn't wait.

·
Registered
what part?
10,875 Posts
those tire are very near the edge of being too narrow for the rims

·
Registered
204 Posts

Today I went for a nice spirited ride in my spider. I came up behind what I thought was a Mazda Miata. But it was the Italian cousin, a Fiat 124 spider. For sure it moved along very quickly and was able to handle the twisty as well. Today was a top down ride but I guess it was not for the Fiat.
Before I bought my Alfa, I went to the dealer to buy a new Fiat 124 Spider, but after going for a test drive I knew it was definitely not for me. Too cramped inside, seat does not recline back enough, head is too close to the windshield, no leg room and no spare tire. I really wanted to love it but I couldn't. When I took the 1975 Spider for a test drive, I knew immediately "this is it".

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Before I bought my Alfa, I went to the dealer to buy a new Fiat 124 Spider, but after going for a test drive I knew it was definitely not for me. Too cramped inside, seat does not recline back enough, head is too close to the windshield, no leg room and no spare tire. I really wanted to love it but I couldn't. When I took the 1975 Spider for a test drive, I knew immediately "this is it".

View attachment 1681258
Yea I sat in one at the car show. It was to small for me too.

Ken

·
Premium Member
5,838 Posts
Today I learned my AAV isn't working. I had already cleaned and tested the AAV and frozen the hole was large, hot (150˚F) it was closed.

I thought maybe my CSI was working intermittently as the connector was loose, cleaned up and tested the connection, tested that it fires when cold but I still had to give it gas to start it and then it was chugging until warm.

I decided to pull the AAV for the 4th time and bypass it completely. I decided I would simulate a manual AAV via a small set of vise grips. With the bypass installed and no vise grips she started right up but surged like crazy. I quickly I added the vise grip at around 1/2 tight and the idle smoothed right out. I turned it off and tried again with no additional gas and she fired right up... after a few minutes re-adjusted vise grips to fully closed and went for a 30 minute ride. She ran really well.

I'm glad I did that test and I suggest anyone with Cold Start or Hot Start issues - try bypassing the AAV to determine if it is in fact No Bueno.

Now all I need is to find a manual heater valve that fits the hoses, make a mount, route the cable into the cabin etc. Anyone have a part number for one they've used?
Came across this while looking for something else. Says it fits the late 80's Saab 900's. Which ran L-Jetronic.

Reactions: vbisbest

·
Registered
what part?
10,875 Posts
be carefull on hard corners...and watch the inflation

·
Registered
789 Posts
Got my 71 to roar to life today. pretty stoked. needs tuning of carbs but its breathing n snorting again

·
Registered
85 Posts
Weather was excellent on Easter Sunday. So took the Spider instead of the daily driver. It was good to hear it clear its throat after such a long lockdown.

Farina Red, Stinger exhaust and Weber Trumpets is not for anyone trying to keep a low profile.

Wife reckons she could hear me driving up through the town on my way home.

I think I might get an external Mic for the phone and measure the Decibel level.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Got some things fixed with the help of @pantera928

1. Replaced wrong throttle control switch. Idle was triggered at full throttle yikes!
2. Identified engine fan was installed backwards by **** current owner (me)
3. Found a coolent leak.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Weather was excellent on Easter Sunday. So took the Spider instead of the daily driver. It was good to hear it clear its throat after such a long lockdown.

Farina Red, Stinger exhaust and Weber Trumpets is not for anyone trying to keep a low profile.

Wife reckons she could hear me driving up through the town on my way home.

I think I might get an external Mic for the phone and measure the Decibel level.
Need a youtube video so we can hear it!

·
Registered
1978 Spider Project
45 Posts
Replaced the clutch master cylinder. The old one was rusty and had a slow leak, so decided against rebuilding it. Di Fatta Brothers had a new one. Old with the reservoir removed:

And the old cylinder removed:

New cylinder installed with the serviceable old reservoir but a new crush washer:

And bleeding the system with the wonderful and marvelous Motive Products Power Bleeder (run, do not walk to buy one!):

Fingers crossed I won't discover a leak tomorrow morning!

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Replaced the clutch master cylinder. The old one was rusty and had a slow leak, so decided against rebuilding it. Di Fatta Brothers had a new one. Old with the reservoir removed:
View attachment 1681415
And the old cylinder removed:
View attachment 1681416
New cylinder installed with the serviceable old reservoir but a new crush washer:
View attachment 1681417
And bleeding the system with the wonderful and marvelous Motive Products Power Bleeder (run, do not walk to buy one!):
View attachment 1681419
Fingers crossed I won't discover a leak tomorrow morning!
I would recommend against putting your motive bleeder on your bare paint. Brake fluid is very hard on paint and there is bound to be some kind of residue on the bottom of the bleeder. Just my own personal feelings.

3421 - 3440 of 3449 Posts