Alfa Romeo Forums banner

321 - 340 of 1889 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
After getting a pretty clean bill of health from a professional pre-purchase inspection, I put a deposit on this '85 Veloce in Verde Acqua Metallizzato. I'll be flying out next week to pick it up in Bozeman, MT for a roadtrip home to Colorado via Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Garden City/Bear Lake, Flaming Gorge, and other assorted scenic byways. Does it get any better? Forza Italia!
That is such a great color. Enjoy friend!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
YEAH! Way to go. Im a few months behind you but I think by Christmas I too will be driving.

I decided to leave paint and bodywork until after I get a chance to rat-rod it around, just in case I don't really like it or want to keep it -- so if I decide to part with it, the new owner can choose paint color. I will do the engine compartment in Inglaise Verde though before I drop the motor in (betting on the come that l like the car and decide to keep it)!!

More photos! Your diff looks great -- did you rebuild it? Cheers
The Diff Is From A Later S3 Spider (4.10 ratio), I Disassembled It, Cleaned It, Inspected It, Changed The Outer Wheel Bearings, And Added 2 Additional LSD Clutch Plates And Shims (removed 2 spacers) - 47% (?) lock.

In addition, I'm Inventoring & Reorganizing My Parts (I definitely have multiples of replacement parts and will sell off the extras when the car is finished [soon I hope!])

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Took my little Quad to a Classic Auto Show in Lacey, Washington. Not only did I bring the only Alfa Romeo to the show, it was the only Italian entry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Roadtrip..1700+ miles...finished

Round trip Oregon to Monterey. Nearly incident free, we had a no start on the return trip at a rest stop. Push start and on our way. Not sure whether it was heat related, 104 degrees in Redding. Spider started after the incident.
We were accompanied by a fellow 1969 Spider owner, so two 50 year old Alfa's made the historic eclipse tour. Speaking of the eclipse we were able to view the mass exodus as we toured north. Cars were lined up from Eugene to Salem, over 50 miles. We learned that the traffic north of Salem was just as bad do we used alternate back roads from Albany to Portland.
Touring back we were forced to use the Interstate due to forest fires on the southern Oregon coast. It can be a bit unnerving traveling at freeway speeds with the multitude of air conditioned SUV's. We had no problems with the speed, it was the noise caused by those 20" tires on the SUV's.
Enjoyable but not something I would like to do frequently.
FYI this Spider has been driven to Chicago from Portland and return trip via Canada #1, so it's used to being driven .
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
86 Posts
I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Earplugs.

We had no problems with the speed, it was the noise caused by those 20" tires on the SUV's.
Thanks for reminding me to take earplugs on my upcoming 1000-mile road trip. I'm used to wearing them on the motorcycle, and have frequently used them on long car trips and airline flights. If you've never tried it, you'd be amazed how much more serene and how much less fatiguing a long trip can be.

Sounds like you had a great one in any case.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Removed front springs. Backs will come off tomorrow. Tires are here and waiting to be mounted. Until then, giallo sits on jack stands.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've spent 2 days, 4hrs each day, detailing my car for the first time- using Griot's Garage products. By hand, because I didn't have an orbital. Lot's of work, but worth it! I've never worked on the paint on this beast before- lots of work. But worth it in the end! I used to love detailing my cars, but it's more of a PITA for me these days:thumbdown:

It's worth it in the end, though. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Reassembling the clutch pressure plate & Aluminum flywheel friction disc. Naturally, a week before we planned to leave for the SCCA solo national Championship in Nebraska, the clutch began slipping at a local autocross event :frown2:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got my 91 Spider Veloce back from the paintshop. It was looking a bit tired and the top needed painting...Sorry I only had my iPhone with me.

Now six weeks wait to let the paint gas out before before a polishing, sealing and waxing fest!

Before:

During:

After:

Peter

·
Registered
662 Posts
Drove her!!!

I have been using my Spider every day here in So NJ since the weather has been Perfect!!, Hope I can until the snow hits... WITH NO ISSUES.

rob

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
The clutch friction disc for a 30+ year old Tilton Aluminum flywheel was almost unobtanium. But, after a frantic search, Wes Ingram's partner Herb Sanborn helped me find a source in California. Just buttoned up everything, and everything works. Next step, load the car on the trailer to leave Tuesday for a leisurely trip to Nebraska for our 45th year of SCCA Solo Nationals competition.

Reassembling the clutch pressure plate & Aluminum flywheel friction disc. Naturally, a week before we planned to leave for the SCCA solo national Championship in Nebraska, the clutch began slipping at a local autocross event :frown2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
1980 Spider Weber Conversion

Just finished rebuilding a set of Weber DCOE40 carbs for my 1980 Spider. Carbs were completely disassembled, Vapor Blasted, re-jetted and fitted with 33mm choke tubes. Next on the list is matching the ports on my "Euro" intake manifold to the cylinder head and powder coating the "Euro" air cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Picked up a good friend and we drove my spider to Put in Bay, Ohio. Vintage racing on the island was fantastic. Lots of Alfas!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Called my congressman to demand that he vote NO! on pending legislation to strip states of their right to regulate "Autonomous vehicles"!
First they will be a novelty, then mandated, and OUR cars banned as "Unsafe".

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Installed Coolant Recovery Tank

I decided to minimize the air space in the upper part of my radiator and to install a coolant recovery tank. This will improve my cooling system capabilities.

Since I drive my Duetto every weekend for a couple of hours, I decided to install a Coolant Recovery Tank using an expansion tank from a MGB.

I removed the windshield washer bag, drilled two holes, and mounted the MGB coolant expansion tank via its mounting strap.
I installed a 1750 style radiator cap to maintain a tight seal for the return of the cooling coolant.
I used 3/16 hose from radiator to a 3/16 to 5/16 fitting to 5/16 hose to the recovery tank.
All with hose clamps.
I installed a vented radiator cap on the recovery tank.
I filled the radiator as much as I could and burped the air by squeezing the thermostat hose.

So far, works great. Good visible cycling of the water temperature needle.
I usually run at about 130 km/hr on the highway.

My next task will be to add a radiator bleed at the upper, center part of the radiator, so I can bleed most of the air out of the coolant system. (RED dot in last photo)
This is similar to what is used on the front radiators for the Ferrari 308. I purchased the bleed screw from the Ferrari Parts Exchange.
Mine will be positioned higher than the Ferrari one to minimize the air space.

This should improve the cooling capabilities of my system and minimize the aeration of the coolant.

Attachments

321 - 340 of 1889 Posts