Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2921 - 2930 of 2930 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Drove the Spider for some errands this weekend. One man came up to me and asked if I am restoring it.

I told him "No, I'm driving it!"

Truthfully, she could use some rust repair, however, I must say she sure is restoring me!

Mo in New Jersey
78 Spider
Both in need of restoration.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Drove the Spider for some errands this weekend. One man came up to me and asked if I am restoring it.

I told him "No, I'm driving it!"

Truthfully, she could use some rust repair, however, I must say she sure is restoring me!

Mo in New Jersey
78 Spider
Both in need of restoration.
Work on your Alfa Romeo can be rewarding! Driving then is even more fun.

Ken Smith

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Work on your Alfa Romeo can be rewarding! Driving then is even more fun.
Absolutely! I will do basics, even though my attempt at changing the air filter did wreck havoc with the rats nest wiring at the distributor.

My next home jobs include replacing the vacuum hose to the brake booster, and some interior jobs!

Mo in New jersey
78 Spider
Just because it's cold doesn't mean it cant still be convertible weather!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This wasn't done today, but last year I had the leather upholstery from Centerline International installed. I went with leather to replace the very worn vinyl and I had a professional (Palo Alto Upholstery) do the work. He said that there are tricks to ensure that the area around the hinge is done well/right, and I just didn't want to practice/learn with such expensive leather. He also said the Centerline kit was very easy to work with and that the quality of the leather was excellent. As good or better than anything he could have ordered. While he was working on it, I had him install a new shift boot as well.

Since I was replacing the upholstery, I ordered the foam bottom cushions as well. The driver's bolster was sort of flattened, so I just decided to replace them both. I will say that new foam bolsters are a bit narrow. Neither my girlfriend or I are big and we both find the new cushions sort of snug. It's getting less snug with time.

Centerline doesn't have photos for the leather upholstery on their site....so here's pic of the kit prior to installation and one after.
Full kit laid out.jpg Seat cushion bottom view.jpg Seat cushion.jpg Completed seats.jpg Shift boot installed.jpg

·
Registered
893 Posts
This wasn't done today, but last year I had the leather upholstery from Centerline International installed. I went with leather to replace the very worn vinyl and I had a professional (Palo Alto Upholstery) do the work. He said that there are tricks to ensure that the area around the hinge is done well/right, and I just didn't want to practice/learn with such expensive leather. He also said the Centerline kit was very easy to work with and that the quality of the leather was excellent. As good or better than anything he could have ordered. While he was working on it, I had him install a new shift boot as well.

Since I was replacing the upholstery, I ordered the foam bottom cushions as well. The driver's bolster was sort of flattened, so I just decided to replace them both. I will say that new foam bolsters are a bit narrow. Neither my girlfriend or I are big and we both find the new cushions sort of snug. It's getting less snug with time.

Centerline doesn't have photos for the leather upholstery on their site....so here's pic of the kit prior to installation and one after.
View attachment 1659362 View attachment 1659363 View attachment 1659364 View attachment 1659365 View attachment 1659366
That is the way to go. Looks great and you spend a lot of time in the driver seat.

Ken Smith

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Did one of my least favorite things. Replaced the retainers for the doors on a spider with power windows
Although i have gotten decent at it, it is still a PITA in my opinion.
Third set this year. :(
Not on the same car in case you were wondering. I have never done it twice on any car.

2921 - 2930 of 2930 Posts