Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2881 - 2900 of 2930 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider Project
22 Posts
While not my long-term solution for wheels, the aftermarket ones that were on my '78 project will be fine for the meantime. Taking advantage of the warm week, I pressure washed them then painted them with graphite color Rust-oleum wheel paint.

Before above, taped for painting. Painted and drying below.

That cleans them up nicely. The tires are terribly dry-rotted so I'll need new ones before actually driving the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I discovered the reason my car sounds so good: my mufflers are coming apart. Guess I'll give myself a new exhaust system for Christmas.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Got my Injector's back today for the 1 year test and all but one was perfect. They are all rated for 310 cc and #1, #3, and #4 came in at 311 cc or 310cc and rated excellent, #2 came in at 297 cc and rated at fair.

Going to reinstall them tomorrow and take the Spider out afterwards or tomorrow. The temps have been in the high 70's all week but the weather next week will only be in the 30's with snow in the forcast.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Major victory today. Our '85 spider has a Weber conversion and have been trying to get them dialed in for several months. Life can get in the way. She was running ok but fuel economy was poor, about 15mpg and "burbling" with 55F8 idle jets. Today I tried 50F8 for the third time and finally got a good idle, good transition and pulls good. Final adjustments worked the way they should, hopefully now my fuel economy will be where it should be and the burble appears tom be gone.

·
Registered
what part?
10,249 Posts
great go from F.I. at 28-30 mpg to carbies at 15 mpg.. i really still don't understand why folks go from fi to carbies.. a stand alone fi sytem is cheaper than carbies, and they self learn stand alones now..not putting carbies down, but there was a time and place for them.. did you switch back to points on the ignition system? if so, why? if you went to an electronic system, why? i like carbies on a beautiful 2400 coupes/ spider, and on the early spiders, they belong there,,question do you have a porsche 930? arn't those FI cars?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Got the drive in today as planned and couldn't be happier, the rain and snow is coming this Monday and Tuesday,

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
433 Posts
Yesterday I took a run up and down Santiago Canyon in Orange County CA. From the road there was only one small burned patch visible, and a few hillsides stained with red retardant. Felt great to stretch out the car and run!

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Our '85 spider was a flood car and dealing with the number of electrical connections/sensors/computer with the FI system I decided to ditch it. And yes, points ignition. I am old school and like it that way.
And yes also, 1987 930 has CIS runs just fine, so I plan to leave it stock.
Hope to get some miles and get the fuel mileage where it should be wit the spider.
Flood car has been an adventure, but a 12,000 mile original not rusted car was hard to walk away from, probably would never do it again. Just another one of life's lessons.

·
Registered
what part?
10,249 Posts
if you take off the rubber plugs behind the front wheels on the bodyshell and the plus in front of the rear wheels ( might be under some undercoating, just look for round bludges ) you can force water( fresh ) into the sills and clean out the drain holes under the car/ sill, and get mud / junk out the area... just run water till it comes out clean.. then get wd40 plastic pump with hose and trgger pump and spray that into it...wd40= water displacement no. 40

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
This project started in 2013, we have crossed that bridge of rinsing, cleaning, .... long ago. Two parts cars later we have basically what I was looking for, a tops down fun machine. Our spider was a victim of the hurricane Sandy surge in the NYC area. I am sure the original owner cried when they found out their spider with 12,000 miles, no rust anywhere and close to a new car. When I brought her home there were remnants of seaweed in the rear view mirror. Yes, it has been a long road but I was looking for a project.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Our '85 spider was a flood car and dealing with the number of electrical connections/sensors/computer with the FI system I decided to ditch it. And yes, points ignition. I am old school and like it that way.
And yes also, 1987 930 has CIS runs just fine, so I plan to leave it stock.
Hope to get some miles and get the fuel mileage where it should be wit the spider.
Flood car has been an adventure, but a 12,000 mile original not rusted car was hard to walk away from, probably would never do it again. Just another one of life's lessons.
You made the right decision.

Having to choose between dialling in some pesky Webers or trying to repair a rusty wreck, it’s a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Thanks Mouse, I was looking for a project and sure got one! I am getting close with the Webers and having some fun with the process. Back in the '70's and '80's I did my share or rust out wrecks and actually got pretty good with torch welding

·
Registered
what part?
10,249 Posts
bought cover for new dash did not want single colour vinel cover, so i thought this would be nice,,, what do you think?
IMG_20201109_124426_4.jpg

·
Registered
what part?
10,249 Posts
custom dash it will be 2 part dash,,, upper and lower
IMG_20201025_162011_0.jpg
IMG_20201025_162020_6.jpg
IMG_20201025_161928_9.jpg

·
Registered
what part?