Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2701 - 2720 of 2743 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
Not today but a while ago I removed this guy, since my wipers wouldn't work in the interval position. I've been trying to get a new one but they seem hard to find. Does anybody know where to find them or how to fix it?

View attachment 1647607
Open it up and send me a close up pic of the board. Both sides.
Will see what we can come up with.

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
Asked a Bodyshop to quote for replacing rusty rear jacking points. They quoted £1800,
I’m not sure what the going rate is for the reputable body shop in your area but 24 hours sound about right for the job. Make sure that you both agree on what needs/will be done for the quoted price. Personally I would like to see the repair before it all gets painted. No fibreglass, all sheet metal work.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0
114 Posts
sure Kevin, here is a cut/paste

above is your idle air valve (IAV)
they can clog up a little, and also be a source of false air.
iav.jpg

to check:
follow the clamp down & you'll find a smallish allen head bolt, undo that and pull off the IAV (ATTN: when you tighten it back, be gentle, the aluminium is very soft there!)
The IAV fits into a fat rubber grommet in the Plenum....this grommet needs to be air tight....if it has hardened, you can take it out and just smear it with some silicone grease, the clear stuff that does not eat rubber, and put it back

Now, with the IAV in your hands (that clic-r hose clamp can be a pain to remove, but I like them as they cannot be overtightened. I bought the correct tool - clic-r pliers for a few euros - and they come off in seconds!) spray some brake cleaner fluid into the hole (you will see a barrel vane in there, that needs to move freely with your finger) let the brake spray dry off then refit it.
See if this cures the idle problem.

Failing that you can find them new, they were used on various cars, Peugeot, Citreon, Opel etc
Original PN Bosch 0 280 140 516
look around, prices vary from 150 (v. dear) down to 40/50 euros

the rubber seal, if it is broken (unlikely) has the PN 60513192

Edit:
the only other tests for the IAV are:
resistance test: on unit itself between the 2 pins: 7.5 Ohm thereabouts (that is what I get from mine)
supply voltage: measured on the connector, with Ignition key ON: Battery Voltage.
So I followed your procedure Dom, put it back today and went for a drive, now she idles steadily at 700rpm so it seems to have solved the problem. Just came to think of it that I've had this problem ever since I bought her in 1995, when she only had been driven 5800km.
By the way i had 8.5 Ohms and 11.67V

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
Those boards were clear coated from the factory. Coating is none conducive and when mixed with solder it creates the obvious problem. I only see two dull spots in your pics, just redo them. Make sure you suck the old solder out completely. As for properly cleaning it, I suggest you experiment in the corner of the board. I came across the boards where some alcohol was enough to remove the coating and some where I had to use lacquer thinner. Check your coil resistance value, does it correspond to the listed? Does it work at all? Capacitors are of the electrolytic type, they dry up and clip, means don’t hold to required value. Just replace them. When you have them out check the resistor values. Both circuits are broken so you will get proper reading. Anything within 10% is good.
Here is how to read the colour bands,
And the calculator,
Have fun😀

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
So I followed your procedure Dom, put it back today and went for a drive, now she idles steadily at 700rpm so it seems to have solved the problem. Just came to think of it that I've had this problem ever since I bought her in 1995, when she only had been driven 5800km.
By the way i had 8.5 Ohms and 11.67V

Many thanks!!
Yes ohms can vary a little 7,5 to 8,5 ish.
Voltage I already edited, I wrote 2.6 but it should’ve read Battery voltage (a good battery is 12.6)..mine, just tested now, was over 12V
So all in order, methinks👍

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
I changed the wiper shaft seal. Will see if that will eliminate the small leak that was there.
Also, looking at wipers, they appear to be a touch to big for the 90s. What was the wiper size when he car left the factory?

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I changed the wiper shaft seal. Will see if that will eliminate the small leak that was there.
where was it leaking into?
there is a little hole just below that seal, which allows any water to drain off into the cowl.....otherwise that little depression would stay full of water.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Those boards were clear coated from the factory. Coating is none conducive and when mixed with solder it creates the obvious problem. I only see two dull spots in your pics, just redo them. Make sure you suck the old solder out completely. As for properly cleaning it, I suggest you experiment in the corner of the board. I came across the boards where some alcohol was enough to remove the coating and some where I had to use lacquer thinner. Check your coil resistance value, does it correspond to the listed? Does it work at all? Capacitors are of the electrolytic type, they dry up and clip, means don’t hold to required value. Just replace them. When you have them out check the resistor values. Both circuits are broken so you will get proper reading. Anything within 10% is good.
Here is how to read the colour bands,
And the calculator,
Have fun😀
Thanks MarkCan but since I'm not used to this detail level i need some clarification.

What's a dull spot? could you maybe mark them on the pic?

How do i check the coil resistance, i mean over which poles? How do i know what it should be? How do i check if it works at all?

In general I assume i should take all components out for measuring and re solder everything back again, is that correctly understood?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes ohms can vary a little 7,5 to 8,5 ish.
Voltage I already edited, I wrote 2.6 but it should’ve read Battery voltage (a good battery is 12.6)..mine, just tested now, was over 12V
So all in order, methinks👍
Ah, that's why, I could have sworn i read 2.6V the first time i read it. Funny since my battery had 12,58 but only 11,67 on the contacts, could i have a loss somewhere?

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
Thanks MarkCan but since I'm not used to this detail level i need some clarification.

What's a dull spot? could you maybe mark them on the pic?

How do i check the coil resistance, i mean over which poles? How do i know what it should be? How do i check if it works at all?

In general I assume i should take all components out for measuring and re solder everything back again, is that correctly understood?
I’ll do better if you can wait. This weekend the car will be driven by my buddy so I like for it to be presentable, no loose bits and piece. I’ll take the unit out after, check and provide you with the information.
Does it sound like a plan?

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
where was it leaking into?
there is a little hole just below that seal, which allows any water to drain off into the cowl.....otherwise that little depression would stay full of water.
Sorry the pic is in my other thread. The hole was covered before and the shaft was exposed in 2 spots. I guess from incorrectly installed seal. As for the leak it was coming on the left side of the driver footwell. Very minor but still needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It looks like a bunch of mods. More pictures please. Looks great!
Thank you, yep a whole bunch of mods. She's at 1960 lbs wet and is a solid 10-footer, didn't turn out too bad for a junkyard car with all sorts of rust. More pictures tomorrow, hopefully not on a flatbed 🤣

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
I look at the alternator options. What you guys pay to have it rebuild lately? I noticed uneven wear on the brushes and slight vibration starting to appear. Should I just get the new 70Amp. unit and forget about it for many years to come? Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Convertible rear windows maintenance: Today I notice my rear window looked like it needed a little attention. I applied Meguiar’s PlastX to the inside and the outside. Looks a lot better, in fact I apply PlastX to the rear window ever couple of washes.

Here is the real debate - is better to put the top down the to with a rolled up towel or with out. I personally choose not to use the towel method because I will put the top down when I am out and about or after work. I feel with any grime or dust on the window the towel will add more scratches versus being careful when lowering the top.

The photo makes my rear window look better then it is.

Side note it is a real pain in the #%^* to get back there on the Parcel shelf to apply the PlastX. When I folded the seats forward I cold see my seat backs are fading. The interior is about six years old so I ended up doing a full detail.

Happy driving your Alfa!

Ken Smith

2701 - 2720 of 2743 Posts