Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2681 - 2700 of 2743 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks Steve. I'm in the DC area but I'll check it out. Would make a nice weekend trip.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1978 Spider Project
13 Posts
Reinstalled the gas tank in my '78 project after having it cleaned and sealed, and then I painted it. Used stick-on foam rubber to replace the original putty-like substance around the flange, per a suggestion on these forums. Slowly but surely working toward rejuvenating the car's fuel system!

Foam cushion installed.

Gas tank installed.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
It's just a bolt with 14 mm hex head threaded into a tapped hole in the end of the crank pulley nut. This makes it much easier to turn the engine with a small wrench instead of using the big 1 1/2 in. socket that fits on the outside of the crank pulley nut hex. Either scheme would be impossible with a fan shroud in place but I don't use this or the stock fan on my '76 spider dedicated autocrosser.

well, that's a rare thank you to a PO:)

but trying to visualise what he did, got a photo?

·
Registered
1978 Alfa Spider
22 Posts
Alfa Spider Group Drive
This morning three of us North Dallas Spider owners took a very nice drive in the country. We had one each of Series, 1, 2, and 3 represented. The weather was great and not too hot at 9am. Love driving these cars through the country with the top down. It was Awesome. The Duetto was just out the paint shop, and the Series 3 looked beautifully restored. I going to have to work to bring my Series 2 up to the same level. That said, I'm sure I had just as much fun. Thanks to the guys for coming out and making this Saturday morning special.

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
I looked @ the spider and figure, everybody needs a break.
I went 🚲 riding instead.

160km later I have a clear mind and I can, go riding again.:)

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0
114 Posts
Alfa Spider Group Drive
This morning three of us North Dallas Spider owners took a very nice drive in the country. We had one each of Series, 1, 2, and 3 represented. The weather was great and not too hot at 9am. Love driving these cars through the country with the top down. It was Awesome. The Duetto was just out the paint shop, and the Series 3 looked beautifully restored. I going to have to work to bring my Series 2 up to the same level. That said, I'm sure I had just as much fun. Thanks to the guys for coming out and making this Saturday morning special.

View attachment 1647098
Hmm, seems your missing a S4 so call me the next time and I'll come, ha, ha!

I drove mine yesterday to on some curvy roads, what a dream!

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
84 Posts
Wow, 160km, i bet it's not completely painless to sit down now!
I put more miles on my bike than on the car. No pain. By the way, as Patrick Swayze puts it in the Road House; “Pain Don’t Hurt”

I topped it up with 110km yesterday. Today I was able to start fresh and resolve the SRS issues, all of them.:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have some issues with this thingie. When the engine gets warm the idle starts pumping between 600 and about 1000 rpm up and down all the time. When i disconnect the electrical connection and leave it off the engine idles nicely at about 800 rpm. Guess it's some kind of coldstart valve or something but since I only drive the spider during summer I haven't found any issue with leaving the connection off, it always starts nicely anyway. Does anybody know what it is and how it could be fixed?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
That’s your idle air controller, IAC, probably just needs to be taken off and cleaned. I don’t have a specific thread handy with info about that, sorry.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Could you post it here please, I am always wanting to learn about my Alfa

Thank you,

Kevin

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe
2018 4c Spider
sure Kevin, here is a cut/paste

above is your idle air valve (IAV)
they can clog up a little, and also be a source of false air.
iav.jpg

to check:
follow the clamp down & you'll find a smallish allen head bolt, undo that and pull off the IAV (ATTN: when you tighten it back, be gentle, the aluminium is very soft there!)
The IAV fits into a fat rubber grommet in the Plenum....this grommet needs to be air tight....if it has hardened, you can take it out and just smear it with some silicone grease, the clear stuff that does not eat rubber, and put it back

Now, with the IAV in your hands (that clic-r hose clamp can be a pain to remove, but I like them as they cannot be overtightened. I bought the correct tool - clic-r pliers for a few euros - and they come off in seconds!) spray some brake cleaner fluid into the hole (you will see a barrel vane in there, that needs to move freely with your finger) let the brake spray dry off then refit it.
See if this cures the idle problem.

Failing that you can find them new, they were used on various cars, Peugeot, Citreon, Opel etc
Original PN Bosch 0 280 140 516
look around, prices vary from 150 (v. dear) down to 40/50 euros

the rubber seal, if it is broken (unlikely) has the PN 60513192

Edit:
the only other tests for the IAV are:
resistance test: on unit itself between the 2 pins: 7.5 Ohm thereabouts (that is what I get from mine)
supply voltage: measured on the connector, with Ignition key ON: Battery Voltage.

·
Registered
368 Posts
sure Kevin, here is a cut/paste

above is your idle air valve (IAV)
they can clog up a little, and also be a source of false air.
iav.jpg

to check:
follow the clamp down & you'll find a smallish allen head bolt, undo that and pull off the IAV (ATTN: when you tighten it back, be gentle, the aluminium is very soft there!)
The IAV fits into a fat rubber grommet in the Plenum....this grommet needs to be air tight....if it has hardened, you can take it out and just smear it with some silicone grease, the clear stuff that does not eat rubber, and put it back

Now, with the IAV in your hands (that clic-r hose clamp can be a pain to remove, but I like them as they cannot be overtightened. I bought the correct tool - clic-r pliers for a few euros - and they come off in seconds!) spray some brake cleaner fluid into the hole (you will see a barrel vane in there, that needs to move freely with your finger) let the brake spray dry off then refit it.
See if this cures the idle problem.

Failing that you can find them new, they were used on various cars, Peugeot, Citreon, Opel etc
Original PN Bosch 0 280 140 516
look around, prices vary from 150 (v. dear) down to 40/50 euros

the rubber seal, if it is broken (unlikely) has the PN 60513192

the only other tests for the IAV are:
resistance test: on unit itself between the 2 pins: 7.5 Ohm thereabouts (that is what I get from mine)
ECU supply voltage: measured on the connector, with Ignition key ON: about 2,6 V
Thank you

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe
2018 4c Spider

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not today but a while ago I removed this guy, since my wipers wouldn't work in the interval position. I've been trying to get a new one but they seem hard to find. Does anybody know where to find them or how to fix it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Asked a Bodyshop to quote for replacing rusty rear jacking points. They quoted £1800, which didn’t include the jacking points that I was going to supply.

I couldn’t help but ask how they got to this figure. Unbelievably, they reckoned it was going to take 3 days to remove the rear seat (which I had only ready pulled out in 30 seconds) and trim. Plus remove the underseal from the area around the jacking points.

Needless to say I will be shopping around for other quotes.

Andy S

2681 - 2700 of 2743 Posts