Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2561 - 2580 of 2620 Posts

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
94 Posts
Been doing some well needed maintenance. Decided to replace the water pump. Learned you have to remove the front pulley, so ordered a new seal for that. Can't get the pulley nut off....grrrr....since I have the alternator off I'll have that rebuilt. I mean, it is 42 years old...Just having some fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Drove mine into work today. It is a daily driver and gets driven in every day. Took it up the coast to Santa Barbara yesterday to a client meeting. There is nothing wrong with the trunk alignment. I had just opened it so I could put my cover on.

Ventura Alfa View attachment 1636832
‘The American Riviera’ up through the Gaviota Coast a sublime drive in a Spider!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree on the drive. I play tennis in a league that plays at Alisal Ranch in Solvang and drive the car up there as often as I can for matches (pre Covid of course).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree on the drive. I play tennis in a league that plays at Alisal Ranch in Solvang and drive the car up there as often as I can for matches (pre Covid of course).
You also have PCH to Santa Monica via Pt. Magu / the ‘bu . . . classic SoCal convertible runs!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Drove mine into work today. It is a daily driver and gets driven in every day. Took it up the coast to Santa Barbara yesterday to a client meeting. There is nothing wrong with the trunk alignment. I had just opened it so I could put my cover on.

Ventura Alfa View attachment 1636832
Love the color looks sweet! I drive my as often as possible too.

Ken Smith

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0
93 Posts
@ed9msi

I fitted one a few years back. It worked off the alarm fob, as there was an aux button on it that I used to trigger a signal to the relay for the solenoid. I don't remember the solenoid model or make and I have sold the car now. It was just a generic door opening solenoid and was probably a bit beefier than needed - it made a pretty loud clunk when it operated!

Maybe this type of thing ? Or this, with brackets

I found that when I fitted it I had to adjust it so that it was not under tension at rest, but had some slack. That lets the pulling motion get some momentum before it meets resistance. When it didn't have that "run-up" it wouldn't operate the catch.
Thanks, that's a good idea, I'll try to slacken it a bit but if the original person who has the solenoid working reads this I'm still interested of the solenoid model.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Same here.

I usually bring my Spider to USTA matches.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do we have to be legal all the time? That doesn't sound like fun
The first time my dad saw my Alfa he got a tool and removed the front plate and bracket. He put them in the trunk under the mat. Told me if I was stopped to say the bracket fell apart and I was on my way to service.

He was a bad influence. ;)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Drtove mine again...now after almost 15k miles since engine was re built, it seems to be much peppier....either that or Im getting older ! LOL

Reactions: joelynbeach

·
Registered
973 Posts
drove mine again...and noticed on the freeway it seems peppier now, geeting close to 15 k miles after engine was rebuilt ...either that , or maybe I`m just getting older ?? lol

Reactions: Susan
2561 - 2580 of 2620 Posts