Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2541 - 2560 of 2582 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Re-torqued the head the head as per official method and the oil weep under the manifold has stopped. phew!

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0
91 Posts
A while back somebody wrote that they have a solenoid in the trunk to open it and that they would check and tell me what model it is so i could buy one but seems to have forgotten it, reminder?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Finally got the spark plugs out and took apart the distributor cap to see why it’s having a slow start.

Need to order distributor cap and rotor for 86 Veloce and new wires.

More here for those that want to follow along or offer advice. (I have no idea what I’m doing so all advice appreciated)

My 2020 "Slow to Start" Diagnostics thread - 1986 Spider Veloce
My 2020 "Slow to Start" Diagnostics thread -...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts

First road trip since my purchase! I’m a younger guy, and truly appreciate the wisdom and advice found on this forum. So thank you to everyone who takes the time to post.

With the help of other Alfa owners and my handy shop manual I’ve been able to go through the engine and ensure it is in tip top shape. Before departing on our trip I changed fluids, and did a proper 15,000 mile service based on the manual. (Car only has 14,900 miles on it) Having the valve clearances within spec, the timing set properly, and new Michelin tires, really gives you the confidence to floor it in the twisty roads. These cars know how to grip the road, and how to leave you with a smile on your face!

Another 700 miles to go. So far so good!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Took my son for a drive in the sunshine and caught this pic on the Rainbow Bridge overlooking the American River (Folsom, CA) while headed home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
@ed9msi

A while back somebody wrote that they have a solenoid in the trunk to open it and that they would check and tell me what model it is so i could buy one but seems to have forgotten it, reminder?
I fitted one a few years back. It worked off the alarm fob, as there was an aux button on it that I used to trigger a signal to the relay for the solenoid. I don't remember the solenoid model or make and I have sold the car now. It was just a generic door opening solenoid and was probably a bit beefier than needed - it made a pretty loud clunk when it operated!

Maybe this type of thing ? Or this, with brackets

I found that when I fitted it I had to adjust it so that it was not under tension at rest, but had some slack. That lets the pulling motion get some momentum before it meets resistance. When it didn't have that "run-up" it wouldn't operate the catch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hunted down some intermittent distributor connections that I must have knocked loose when I installed the cleaned and soldered radiator and new coolant hoses the other day. ****, that distributor is a [email protected]#$& to get at! So was that radiator! And bottom hose! Lol!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hunted down some intermittent distributor connections that I must have knocked loose when I installed the cleaned and soldered radiator and new coolant hoses the other day. ****, that distributor is a [email protected]#$& to get at! So was that radiator! And bottom hose! Lol!
Yea it take patients to work on an Alfa Romeo spider. I do not have a lift so working under the car is a real pain.

Ken Smith

2541 - 2560 of 2582 Posts