Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2521 - 2540 of 2595 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
No, I'm referring to the mechanical pump below the distributor on earlier carbed S2's

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spider

Today I picked up my Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 Veloce from Alfa Performance Connection. I got her off Bring A Trailer last week and the seller recommended that Stewart take a look at her.

Stewart is THE MAN and his team and he is worked me in, took the car and did a bunch of awesome work, and did this all In a week. They normally have a 7+ week wait list. I don’t know what I did to deserve them doing this for me in such a short time but they did and they rock.

I also met the seller today in person - gabes. He is awesome and the car was exactly as he’d stated during the sell (the work I had APC di was to first make sure she was ready for a fly & drive (LA > SF > Tahoe) and also little stuff because I have zero experience with car maintenance.

I also learned to drive stick today. Yes, for the first time. And in LA bumper to bumper freeway traffic. It is amazing and now my GLA45 AMG is kind of boring. The control one has in manual. The feel one gets. The connection to the car. This is not achievable without manual (yes I know I’m not saying anything new here but I’m not convinced even my Golf R mk7 is going to feel boring.)

Finally, we completed the day with a drive to Santa Barbara. The spider was the most unique ride I saw all day (other than one other spider I saw on my the road, and not counting anything at the APC shop.)

Thoughts to wrap up?
I’m in love with this car. I love her broken speedometer that said I was going 62mph the whole time even though I know I was going 85+ in places (and my GPS proved it.) I love the fact she reeks of gas after a fill up. She needs some gas when starting her when she’s warm. She has her quirks and I love them all.

I’m tired from driving in the sun all day without AC and with a manual car. But it’s a good tired. The kind you get when you’ve learned something new. The kind that comes as a reward for trying the unknown. The kind that only comes from becoming comfortable with the uncomfortable.

I still don’t know how to change my oil. Hell I don’t even know how to check my oil. But I know I can learn this and much more. And I know the spider will give me the opportunities to do so.

What an amazing little car...

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
73 Posts
AvidMarxist,
I've done the SF/LA drive many times. Its one of the best. You are about to embark on the best part of it. ENJOY.
Congrats on the purchase and learning to drive a manual. You will find that the joy you are feeling is only partly related to a manual. Most of it is a manual ALFA. The feel of the pedal. The long throw of the shifter. The location of your hands on the wheel compared with other cars, etc.. Its a unique experience that all of us on the BB absolutely cherish.
I've had my 78 Spider for 35 years. Its very similar to your car. If you have questions or concerns that you cant find answers to on the BB, just PM me.....

Joseph

·
Registered
948 Posts
Last night, I replaced what I think was a failing Coil on my 78 Spider. Hopefully I have (finally) cured the "Missing when hot" problem. I'll take her for a shakedown this afternoon.

Mo in NJ
Working(?) at home

·
Registered
741 Posts
Upon having my Spider back and running, I've been looking forward to driving it through some of the curves and on/off-ramps where I live. Well, yesterday, I was able to really push the car through a right-hand off-ramp and it was a great feeling. However, later in the day when getting something out of the trunk, I found that the battery was on its side. Apparently it wasn't secured as tight as it should have been. That incident led to cleaning up the trunk. Additionally, I found that the center mounted brake light bulb was blown, so, replaced that.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Been there, done that. In my earlier Alfa Spider days I had several trunk mounted batteries come loose and fall over. Changing "All Alfa Spiders have been hit in the nose, or will be hit in the future" to encompass battery mounting & falling led me to preventive maintenance for battery mounting and parking where no one can access the front of my Spiders.

If you are lucky, you had an AGM or gell cell battery instead of a lead-acid that spilled electrolyte. And, worse things can happen if the hot battery post isn't insulated. I saw this at the 2018 Olympia Washington AROC Convention time trials where a friend had the presence of mind to stop at a corner station where they had a fire extinguisher.

Upon having my Spider back and running, I've been looking forward to driving it through some of the curves and on/off-ramps where I live. Well, yesterday, I was able to really push the car through a right-hand off-ramp and it was a great feeling. However, later in the day when getting something out of the trunk, I found that the battery was on its side. Apparently it wasn't secured as tight as it should have been. That incident led to cleaning up the trunk. Additionally, I found that the center mounted brake light bulb was blown, so, replaced that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Something I did ON the car: attached a thermo switch using a twist tie b/c I don’t know how else I’m going to do it just yet.

Better - something I did FOR the car. Got the fantastic @Papajam ;wiring diagrams printed large and laminated for garage use.

A gift to myself!

Now I just need to learn how to read ‘em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Something I did ON the car: attached a thermo switch using a twist tie b/c I don’t know how else I’m going to do it just yet.

Better - something I did FOR the car. Got the fantastic @Papajam ;wiring diagrams printed large and laminated for garage use.

A gift to myself!

Now I just need to learn how to read ‘em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dry erase marker works good for tracing where a wire goes.

Reactions: Lantheaume

·
Registered
948 Posts
Saturday, I changed the oil in my 78 Spider. I disagree on using a smaller filter though. I had trouble getting my wrench around the short one that was in place. Replacing with the larger filter was a breeze. However, I couldn't figure out how to get to the access panels for the Spica filter. I will ask for help in another part of the BB.

Sunday, I drove from central NJ to Allentown PA and back. It was a gorgeous day, but I should remember to wear a hat!

I only saw one Alfa in the 150 mile round trip, a white Stelvio by the USGA museum near my home.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0
93 Posts
So, last week I adjusted the red koni's as per the instructions here earlier and i can only say Wow!!

The car's so much nicer to drive, not nervous any more or bumpy like before, just great thanks for the tips.

PS still haven't removed the rear stabilizer bar yet.

·
Registered
741 Posts
@conedriver - follow-up to your comment. I didn't have a AGM type battery, but, thankfully not much leaked out. Regarding the hot lead, the mechanic bought a battery with the posts towards the outside of the trunk (making it harder to connect the leads to) versus the more normal posts towards the inside of the trunk. Perhaps the different location of the posts meant the acid didn't touch the posts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ran the Motherlode 400 Rally (Covid-19 version) this past weekend. Day 1=140 miles, day 2= 195 miles, day 3= 294 miles, then the drive home. About 800 total.
Alfas seemed to have the issues this outing with one cracked oil pan, one bad fuel delivery problem- tank/pick up/filter, then our car that couldn't keep going above 7500 feet. Getting stuck behind Hondas and trailers driving at 15mph does not work for sea level tuning.
Here is a pic of our car recomposing itself just shy of Ebbett's Pass. Also on Monitor Pass. And Sonora Pass.

Attachments

2521 - 2540 of 2595 Posts