Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2141 - 2160 of 2183 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Went out to the garage to continue ignition switch removal. So when I started the removal I expected a pain in the butt job to replace it. I just didn't know how much grief it would be. After reading different posts wrt to this subject I was in search of the security screw that captures the switch in place( this is an assumption on my part so far), I found said screw and after clearing as much wiring, turn signal switch, etc, etc. I was able to get a clear picture of what it looks like. My problem now is figuring out how to get in there to remove it. Attempt #1 was my small chisel, alas not small enough, attempt #2 get my roto zip tool out, too big, attempt #3 charge the battery on my small drill, still too big. Picture added, it appears there is a indent in the top of the security screw, not sure what that means other than I might be able to drill a small hole and use an easy out. Getting my large body in that small space is no easy feat, time for the first beer of the day. Tomorrow's another day.
View attachment 1618166
Nice selfie.. lol. I have found those screws to take very little to loosen, ymmv.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Finally drove it home this week. A nine month project come to fruition. Top to bottom rebuild, custom head, 12x11 cams, 85mm Carrillo pistons, Darton sleeves, lightened rods, performance headers, Magnaflow exhaust, 11lb flywheel, 123 bluetooth programmable ignition, 7500 performance SPICA pump. Fully rebuilt transmission with lightened gears, roller bearings and upgraded syncros. Fully rebuilt suspension with Alfaholics fast road suspension kit, Koni yellow shocks, poly bushings where appropriate, and a chassis stiffener. Centerline performance brake kit. Too much else to mention. 182HP, 174 ft/lbs @4600 rpm, 7500 redline. Engine bay restoration by me, motor rebuild by Wes Ingram, Suspension, custom radiator install and exhaust installation by Prova Motorsports. The Silver Surfer Spider Project is complete! Working on finishing up the blog...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, :unsure:gee, I dunno.

Should answer stupid questions? Why do you think that might be a stupid question? Do you think I should answer stupid questions? ...it's worth considering! ;)

But of course, people ask questions for all sorts of reasons; so, why do 'you' ask? :)

If you're looking for an answer, well, answers tend to remove ignorance and ignorance is often pejoratively referred to as 'stupid'. So is it 'stupid' or just 'ignorant'? Or, is there a difference? This is a confusing question. o_O

And then of course, some people believe a stupid question deserves :oops: a stupid answer - similar to Mr. Hitchens' now famous quote, "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be :eek: dismissed without evicence" - :geek:meaning, if the answer to the question is so obvious that it is already known, then :cool: why ask at all?

FWIW: New piston's and sleeves.
Wow, that was a deep answer, well I have to blame it on lack of knowledge and experience since I've not taken the pistons out yet on my spider and pistons I've seen so far have looked differently.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Finally drove it home this week. A nine month project come to fruition. Top to bottom rebuild, custom head, 12x11 cams, 85mm Carrillo pistons, Darton sleeves, lightened rods, performance headers, Magnaflow exhaust, 11lb flywheel, 123 bluetooth programmable ignition, 7500 performance SPICA pump. Fully rebuilt transmission with lightened gears, roller bearings and upgraded syncros. Fully rebuilt suspension with Alfaholics fast road suspension kit, Koni yellow shocks, poly bushings where appropriate, and a chassis stiffener. Centerline performance brake kit. Too much else to mention. 182HP, 174 ft/lbs @4600 rpm, 7500 redline. Engine bay restoration by me, motor rebuild by Wes Ingram, Suspension, custom radiator install and exhaust installation by Prova Motorsports. The Silver Surfer Spider Project is complete! Working on finishing up the blog...
I can just say Wow!!!!

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
23 Posts
Indent is were the head of the bolt breaks of when installed.

Get a around a 3" round punch and grind the tip so the point is to one side and it has a long slope to get to the point. The bolt is aluminum. It will only take about a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn till its loose enough to turn easily.
Thanks for the info Jim I appreciate the tip, will do that this afternoon. The good thing about this experience is finding some items along the way that needed attention. I finally broke down and removed the steering wheel. This made work on the switch removal way easier and I had noticed the turn signal/light switch had one lever broke off about 1/2 inch from the base and the lever on the left side would not stay fixed in the up or down position, so I'm going to replace it as well. Hope to finish the ignition switch replace this week. Want to move on to cleaning up the fuel system in prep to see if this thing will even run.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Nice selfie.. lol. I have found those screws to take very little to loosen, ymmv.
**** the selfie<grin>! That ended up being the best pict of the bunch, most of them were blurred not lined up etc. Am going to work on it again this afternoon thanks for the comment, am hoping for the best.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts

View attachment 1618192
View attachment 1618193
View attachment 1618194
View attachment 1618195
View attachment 1618196
View attachment 1618197
View attachment 1618198
View attachment 1618201 View attachment 1618199
View attachment 1618200
Wow!! Great job, the detail in that engine bay is most impressive. Congrats!!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Wow!! Great job, the detail in that engine bay is most impressive. Congrats!!
Thank you. I knew the motor rebuild was going to be a gem, I didn't want it to be stuck back in a coal mine.
Pro Tip - if you know your Alfa paint color code, expresspaint.com will put it in a rattle can! AR737 metallic grey was not-so-professionally applied by me, one corner at a time, after a coat of acid-etch primer, then sealed by a hi-temp clear coat spray. Cheap, easy, and the results are great (for an engine bay)!

Before (just after I removed the brake booster):

After:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thank you. I knew the motor rebuild was going to be a gem, I didn't want it to be stuck back in a coal mine.
Pro Tip - if you know your Alfa paint color code, expresspaint.com will put it in a rattle can! AR737 metallic grey was not-so-professionally applied by me, one corner at a time, after a coat of acid-etch primer, then sealed by a hi-temp clear coat spray. Cheap, easy, and the results are great (for an engine bay)!

View attachment 1618314

After:
View attachment 1618315
Looks great nothing better then a clean engine compartment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I drove through the empty post-apocalyptic streets of Denver. A gang of punks in a souped up UPS truck tried to stop me by shredding my tires. The truck had anarchist graffiti all down the sides, a huge supercharger sticking out of the hood and long spikes in place of lug nuts. They had me on the straight but when I threw the Alfa into a full drift around the "pointy" end of the Brown Palace they couldn't follow. Good times!

I'm sure they were after my gas and I cant blame them. It's a small tank but filled with a sweet mixture of ethanol-free Premium and Sunoco race gas.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts

View attachment 1618314

After:
View attachment 1618315
You're welcome. Will bookmark expresspaint .com, good info.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts

View attachment 1618192
View attachment 1618193
View attachment 1618194
View attachment 1618195
View attachment 1618196
View attachment 1618197
View attachment 1618198
View attachment 1618201 View attachment 1618199
View attachment 1618200
Nice, very nice. I wanna hear a wav file!!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Over the winter I've fitted solid carb mounts, adjusted the handbrake, put new chrome strip on the doorcards, cleaned, re-coloured and reproofed the hood, mended the fan motor switch, fitted a new heater valve, flushed out the cooling system and fitted a couple of new hoses, checked all the brakes, fitted an electric fuel pump, fitted a new rear exhaust box & gave it a full service, I took the car out for it's first real jaunt since I brought it home in October. (These pics are from a few days ago, before Covid-19 lockdown). Just needs a few very minor paint issues sorting, and it's ready for the summer, provided we can get out of this current crisis !
Can't believe how well this car drives.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had to go to work this week.....I work in a hospital and all hands on deck. Here is the good news, the HYWs are empty or at less very light traffic. I have been driving in Spider all week long into San Francisco.
Here is the bad news, last Sunday I was caught in a rain storm on my 2006 Triumph motorcycle. It took to nights after work to clean it up. Below is a photo of my two favorite vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've gotten them out using a left hand twist 1/8" or 3/16" drill bit. I've lost count of number I removed this way. On the rare occasion this didn't get it i used as torqs style eze out tapped into the drill hole. But it's normally a quick removal

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The sun was shining yesterday so Took the '91 Spider for a 40mile drive in the country with some other friends.We stayed safe from coronavirus transfer by keeping 6 ft. between the cars.

2141 - 2160 of 2183 Posts