Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2121 - 2140 of 2183 Posts

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I will post a link to the ad when it goes live. There will be over 50 photos and a short video of the car running. I tried to sell it on here and no takers.
The advertisement for the car has gone live on BarnFInds. Jason at BF did an excellent job taking my images of the car and short video to produce a great advertisement. You can find the car here: BARNFINDS

·
Registered
87 Posts
I finally re-mounted the license plate to the '85 spider. I wanted to find the stock pieces but decided to just add 2 L brackets which work pretty good. Technically that was yesterday.

Today, I decided to finally try and figure out why I'm popping out of Reverse. I inherited the car from my Dad and it's been this way for many years. I decided to take apart the console, and found that I'm missing the Shift Lever Seal and Washer. While that's the obvious source for my last big oil leak, I don't think it's going to improve Reverse. I will try adjusting the shift lever to get Reverse to be as high as it can be, but my guess is the trouble is under the car at the transmission mount. It's a shame the shop that did the clutch many moons ago didn't put everything back together, I'm just happy I stumbled across a thread on this BB that lead me to the issue.

IMG_7667_Caps2.jpg

The good news is I'm eager to clean up and fix the leak, replace the Leather Shift Boot, Trans mount etc. as the car is running better than ever. Anyone know if the parts shops are open next week?

Stay healthy, stay hydrated and drive it like you stole it!
C

·
Registered
557 Posts
I finally re-mounted the license plate to the '85 spider. I wanted to find the stock pieces but decided to just add 2 L brackets which work pretty good. Technically that was yesterday.

Today, I decided to finally try and figure out why I'm popping out of Reverse. I inherited the car from my Dad and it's been this way for many years. I decided to take apart the console, and found that I'm missing the Shift Lever Seal and Washer. While that's the obvious source for my last big oil leak, I don't think it's going to improve Reverse. I will try adjusting the shift lever to get Reverse to be as high as it can be, but my guess is the trouble is under the car at the transmission mount. It's a shame the shop that did the clutch many moons ago didn't put everything back together, I'm just happy I stumbled across a thread on this BB that lead me to the issue.

View attachment 1617736

The good news is I'm eager to clean up and fix the leak, replace the Leather Shift Boot, Trans mount etc. as the car is running better than ever. Anyone know if the parts shops are open next week?

Stay healthy, stay hydrated and drive it like you stole it!
C
Look forward in seeing the 85 at one of our runs. My first Alfa was a 1985 black Graduate. It had air in it and in fact it worked great. When I purchase the care it was 6 years old!
Does your car have a rack and pinion or a steering box? Love the duel pod gauges.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Look forward in seeing the 85 at one of our runs. My first Alfa was a 1985 black Graduate. It had air in it and in fact it worked great. When I purchase the care it was 6 years old!
Does your car have a rack and pinion or a steering box? Love the duel pod gauges.
I'd love to join you, I was thinking about the one you just did and the one coming up that I think is in Marin. She runs and drives really well but I have some loose ends to fix before I can take her too far from home but I think a ride on this side of the Bay Bridge/Richmond could be arranged once I get her back together. It's funny, after driving this past week with the top up, I was really looking forward to a nice drive with the top down... like today... and she's on jack stands with the interior in pieces.

She's got a steering box thankfully. I pulled the A/C in 2018 when I was doing a ton of maintenance, had to pull the condenser to get access to the front seal figured it was a good time to pull the old hoses and the compressor. One of these days I'll invest in the new gear to get A/C running again.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I have started getting the trunk sorted out. I am not using a standard carpet kit, but rather, am going to do something a bit more custom. Today, I finished making the floor panel for above the spare tire and installed the fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have started getting the trunk sorted out. I am not using a standard carpet kit, but rather, am going to do something a bit more custom. Today, I finished making the floor panel for above the spare tire and installed the fire extinguisher.

View attachment 1617983
Looks super clean this could of been factory! Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts

View attachment 1617983
Very nice but I'm wondering about place for the fire extinguisher? I have mine mounted behind the seats so i can reach it from the driver seat just in case i can't get out of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Very nice but I'm wondering about place for the fire extinguisher? I have mine mounted behind the seats so i can reach it from the driver seat just in case i can't get out of the car.
Fair question, and I considered all options, including behind the seats and in front of the passenger seat. I rarely drive without the top down, and I don’t track the car. If my safety is involved, I’m not going to be trying to put out a fire.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Might be a stupid question but what is it?
Well, :unsure:gee, I dunno.

Should answer stupid questions? Why do you think that might be a stupid question? Do you think I should answer stupid questions? ...it's worth considering! ;)

But of course, people ask questions for all sorts of reasons; so, why do 'you' ask? :)

If you're looking for an answer, well, answers tend to remove ignorance and ignorance is often pejoratively referred to as 'stupid'. So is it 'stupid' or just 'ignorant'? Or, is there a difference? This is a confusing question. o_O

And then of course, some people believe a stupid question deserves :oops: a stupid answer - similar to Mr. Hitchens' now famous quote, "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be :eek: dismissed without evicence" - :geek:meaning, if the answer to the question is so obvious that it is already known, then :cool: why ask at all?

FWIW: New piston's and sleeves.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts
Well, :unsure:gee, I dunno.

Should answer stupid questions? Why do you think that might be a stupid question? Do you think I should answer stupid questions? ...it's worth considering! ;)

But of course, people ask questions for all sorts of reasons; so, why do 'you' ask? :)

If you're looking for an answer, well, answers tend to remove ignorance and ignorance is often pejoratively referred to as 'stupid'. So is it 'stupid' or just 'ignorant'? Or, is there a difference? This is a confusing question. o_O

And then of course, some people believe a stupid question deserves :oops: a stupid answer - similar to Mr. Hitchens' now famous quote, "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be :eek: dismissed without evicence" - :geek:meaning, if the answer to the question is so obvious that it is already known, then :cool: why ask at all?

FWIW: New piston's and sleeves.
Dont misplace or throw out your o rings, unless you ordered viton from Spruell...

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
23 Posts
Went out to the garage to continue ignition switch removal. So when I started the removal I expected a pain in the butt job to replace it. I just didn't know how much grief it would be. After reading different posts wrt to this subject I was in search of the security screw that captures the switch in place( this is an assumption on my part so far), I found said screw and after clearing as much wiring, turn signal switch, etc, etc. I was able to get a clear picture of what it looks like. My problem now is figuring out how to get in there to remove it. Attempt #1 was my small chisel, alas not small enough, attempt #2 get my roto zip tool out, too big, attempt #3 charge the battery on my small drill, still too big. Picture added, it appears there is a indent in the top of the security screw, not sure what that means other than I might be able to drill a small hole and use an easy out. Getting my large body in that small space is no easy feat, time for the first beer of the day. Tomorrow's another day.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Indent is were the head of the bolt breaks of when installed.

Get a around a 3" round punch and grind the tip so the point is to one side and it has a long slope to get to the point. The bolt is aluminum. It will only take about a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn till its loose enough to turn easily.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dont misplace or throw out your o rings, unless you ordered viton from Spruell...
I got them from Spruell because they were Motronic and they were the least expensive. If they don't work out I'll do it over and get something else. But I think they'll be okay. What is the issue with the o-rings? You mean the ones on the liner, correct?

2121 - 2140 of 2183 Posts