Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2001 - 2020 of 2022 Posts

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
I am a traditionalist.

Red cars are for Italian cars and green cars are for British!

But I will admit the green does look nice on the Alfa Spider.

I love the yellow also in the S4's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Today I finally installed the headlight relay kit I ordered months ago. Not to difficult a job even with all the cleaning, re-routing wires, rust removal and painting the headlight buckets. Good news is everything works as expected, and while the lights are only 10% brighter, it does translate to more speed and confidence driving dark country roads.

Happy New Year!!
Interesting, I have an S4 from 1990. Do I understand it correctly that the current goes directly from the light switch to the headlights without passing a relay when the spider was delivered from the factory?
If so, where can one buy the headlight relay kit?

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
the pan is in two pieces, an upper (3) and a lower (2)
Oelwanne_105_giu.jpg
no, there is no headlight relay from factory
and
the 2 advance solenoids you notice above was msiert's special build modified spider.
Factory there is only one on the inlet.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
QUOTE="Haba1492, post: 8503701, member: 374336"]
Hey Msiert, what year is your spider? I see you have 2 vvt's, twice the fun. Just curious, I assume a 70's model.?
[/QUOTE]
I was wondering about that myself.
Interesting, I have an S4 from 1990 for the European market and i only have the cam advance solenoid on the intake side. In your picture i see it on the exhaust side as well. Is this a California spec or what?
I have a 91 S-4 Spider.

Durning a rebuild a 2nd VVT was added to the exhaust cam. You can adjust the advance of the VVT with shims to get any advance you want and can control at what rpm you want the advance to come on for either just the exhaust or the intake or both so each VVT can be control separately with a programmable FI system. I have an Autronic SM2 ECU that controls the FI system.

The VVT's are both set at 6 degrees advance.
Initial timing is set at:
Intake 105
Exhaust 102

When the advance is turn on:
Intake 99
Exhaust 108

I never pursued testing different advances at different rpms on the Dyno after the engine was done, but the above advances was tested "on" the entire rpm range. Power was off a little at the top end and very close to equal in the midrange.

Someday I would like to try advancing the exhaust VVT only at top end and advancing the intake VVT in the mid range to see what happens.

Sorry for the long reply.

[

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Forgot what I wanted to post, saw the questions on the exhaust VVT and got carried away with a long response.

I wanted to post about the new tools I got today for the VVT, a 55 mm and 50 mm spanners to adjust VVT's with. Vin sent me the plans for them last Sunday and I tried a local fabricator but he felt it would be better to have them water jetted out.

Thank you Vin!

This is where I'm at in a valve adjustment project that just started.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
t

·
Registered
29 Posts
the pan is in two pieces, an upper (3) and a lower (2)
View attachment 1610411
no, there is no headlight relay from factory
and
the 2 advance solenoids you notice above was msiert's special build modified spider.
Factory there is only one on the inlet.
I have a 91 S-4 Spider.

Durning a rebuild a 2nd VVT was added to the exhaust cam. You can adjust the advance of the VVT with shims to get any advance you want and can control at what rpm you want the advance to come on for either just the exhaust or the intake or both so each VVT can be control separately with a programmable FI system. I have an Autronic SM2 ECU that controls the FI system.

The VVT's are both set at 6 degrees advance.
Initial timing is set at:
Intake 105
Exhaust 102

When the advance is turn on:
Intake 99
Exhaust 108

I never pursued testing different advances at different rpms on the Dyno after the engine was done, but the above advances was tested "on" the entire rpm range. Power was off a little at the top end and very close to equal in the midrange.

Someday I would like to try advancing the exhaust VVT only at top end and advancing the intake VVT in the mid range to see what happens.

Sorry for the long reply.
Thanks all for the clarification.

Regarding the headlight relay kit, where can i buy it?

If I understand it correctly i would need a total of 4 relays for the 2 headlights, right?

2001 - 2020 of 2022 Posts