Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1981 - 2000 of 2022 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pull the bulb. The light came on every 30,000 miles which is when you were suppose to replace the O2 sensor.
I read on one of the many postings about adding a 3 wire 02 sensor that when pulling the bulb you should add a jumper wire or something to that effect. I can't imagine why, but that's the reason I haven't just pulled the bulb yet. Will likely do that next week.

Cheers!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Today I finally installed the headlight relay kit I ordered months ago. Not to difficult a job even with all the cleaning, re-routing wires, rust removal and painting the headlight buckets. Good news is everything works as expected, and while the lights are only 10% brighter, it does translate to more speed and confidence driving dark country roads.

Happy New Year!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Today I did a Sunday drop off with my 1984 spider at Continental Motors in Sunnyvale (Rich). In California older cars require a Star Smog. I asked to give the spider a once over to have it smog. While he has the car, I also asked him to check the transmission leak. This leak is real annoying! At speed the oil leaks and it hits the muffler and exhaust smell goes into the trunk. Anything in the trunk smells like exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
While he has the car, I also asked him to check the transmission leak. This leak is real annoying!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
95% of transmission leaks are from the rubber bellows around the shift stick....they split. Oil is always splashed up under the sliding plates, if it gets above the plates it is designed to drain back through 3 slots....the rubber bellows stops oil from leaking outside.

Sometimes the breathers on the side are blocked and the little drain slots are blocked (NB: early 101/105 only had 1 slot, an alfa TSB recommended cutting 2 more 120° apart....your 84 will therefore have three slots) check these when renewing the 2 rubber bellows. Also that rubber seal under the shift stick hardens...get a new one (all the suppliers have them), it holds those sliding plates down nice and firm.

transmission drain holes.jpg

drain back slots.jpg

What also helps is to use slightly less tranny oil so it gets less sloshed up and out!

·
Registered
74 Posts
60+ degree weather here in Maryland made it a perfect day to be on the road with the top down! Yes, I'll confess, I did have the heater on by the end of the afternoon. Great day driving along the Chesapeake Bay.
1-11 side.jpg
1-11 back.jpg

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I've always admired the S4 with phone dial wheels, looks nice

·
Registered
301 Posts
1981 - 2000 of 2022 Posts