Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
1985 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 Graduate
66 Posts
Replaced the Radiator cowl and upper speedometer cable. Didn’t expect to flush the cooling but had to remove the radiator to get the new cowl on and one thing led to another. Getting ready for shocks, springs and brakes this weekend

· Premium Member
66 Posts
Springs, Shocks, and Discs...was hoping to have a nice road-trip this weekend but realized (they crumbled in my hands) that the bushings on the rear antiroll links needed to be replaced so she'll sit on jacks until next week when the new links arrive from Classic Alfa. I had been calling her "Gladstone" in honor of Dustin Hoffman but I'm changing her name to "money pit" LOL.

I changed the sending unit, filter, and all the fuel hoses in the trunk but there is still a very strong gasoline smell. The filler hose was cracked so I thought replacing all the hoses was prudent but no idea where to look now as the suggestions from the board and HPSI point to hoses as the sources of a gas smell in the trunk. Its truly overwhelming at times. No visible leaks in the tank but she does seem to burn a lot of gas. Any suggestions?

· Premium Member
66 Posts
Had a little side project…wasn’t sure what this was stuck in the pipe as I started to patch it. Pulled out what appears to be the entire center resonator’s stuffing. Patched the hole and now the performance has improved and she sounds great. Will eventually replace the whole exhaust over the winter but for now I’m just happy to have unclogged the system and reaped the rewards in improved performance. Hopefully this will help with the gas odor too.
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Metal

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Metal Trunk

· Premium Member
66 Posts
My fuel filler hose had a crack which I was convinced was the cause of the odor so I replaced that with a new hose from Classic Alfa. Got a bit better but still a strong smell. Next, did a replacement of all the hoses in the trunk using the HPSI kit. Pretty easy project, still an odor. Replaced the sending unit and gasket at the same time. Thought it was spilled fuel from the leak(s) so I left the trunk open on a hot day. Got better until I drove the car. Next step was replacing the hoses under the car and the fuel filter. One of those hoses also had a leak and I think that was the primary source of the odor. I still think a contributor was/is spilled fuel inside the trunk but the leaks perpetuated it. None of the work was expensive or difficult and the condition of the hoses was pretty bad so a good few projects. Now I’m noticing a fuel smell coming from the engine which was masked by the stronger odor from the trunk, but that’s beyond my skill set so I’ll address it with a pro this winter. For now, performance and MPG are up and the odor is tolerable. Not sure this is helpful but hopefully its a checklist for you.

· Premium Member
66 Posts
Had a great drive out from Lowell to Plymouth. New headers and exhaust sound great and the car does seem to be a bit peppier. Had her up to 90 mph, kinda part not paying attention and kinda part seeing how she would handle. really Liking the sound from the stinger and new front-end, motor mounts, shocks, springs, and brakes, etc really seem to have been good investments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts