Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Premium Member
Ordered a new rear muffler and associated parts to mount it.

The previous one started to bang against the ground about halfway back on my 200-mile trip back after purchasing it recently. This was the best "fix" I could do with materials at a truck stop store:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Premium Member
Ordered a new rear muffler and associated parts to mount it.

The previous one started to bang against the ground about halfway back on my 200-mile trip back after purchasing it recently. This was the best "fix" I could do with materials at a truck stop store:
View attachment 1702183
I think at least part the reason for the failure of the old muffler was a hacky hanger made of two layers of old tires that let the thing wobble all over the place. Anyway old and busted 馃憜 new hotness 馃憞.

Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Floor

Experts: does that look like the right position for the muffler?

Also I have to say I鈥檓 very happy with my first Centerline purchase. I鈥檇 placed two orders because I forgot some things and they combined and refunded shipping on one without me even asking. Everything arrived in perfect shape.

Premium Member
Today I was using my spider as a daily driver. As I was crossing the intersection and older women gave me the thumbs up.

Ken
Nice! I've been surprised by the reactions - I didn't drive it a ton between getting it and realizing it needed a lot of work, but driving my S3 I've gotten compliments or "what is that?!" at least once literally every time I've driven it.

Premium Member
Nice looking spider. We do not see a lot of gold ones around. What year is it? Sounds like you have a few issues to sort out. I have a theory that a S3 in the end will cost $13,000 to $15,000 bring them up to a reliable very good looking runner with a decent interior and a new top. Of course the dollar amount varies on how much work you do on your own.

Good news is there where a lot of S3 sold in the US. This means plenty of sheet metal parts around. I tend to drive my spider a lot knowing if I get in to an accident the spider is repairable.

The S3 still has the old school Alfa driving feel with the reliability and Comfort and of a more modern spider.

Look forward to the your Spider updates.

Ken
Yeah I fell in love with the gold... barely missed out on one a couple hours south of me, and then right after found one a couple hours north of me. The PO did a lot of work including new top and headlights, though the paint needs some touching up. I've had to replace rear muffler, brake master, and next have to do the engine mounts and tie rod ends. I thought I was buying a car, ended up acquiring a hobby but that's OK!

Premium Member
Just placed another order with Centerline having found a completely broken part tonight, several days after placing my last order that's already in transit. Two orders arrived last week.

You'd think I'd learn some patience.

Premium Member
Over the past few days finally got around to replacing all the fuel and vapor hoses in the trunk, and yesterday morning took my gold Spider to the local cars and coffee at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Got this photo with it and two other almost as good Pininfarina designed cars (and my friend photobombing in his turbo Porsche).

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Cloud

Attachments

Premium Member
My 鈥渏ust replace the vacuum hoses鈥 project has snowballed into also cleaning maybe replacing the OVS, repairing the cross-engine intake hose, replacing the OVS hoses, fuel lines, injector lines, injector seals, and now apparently the darn coolant heater return and maybe the other radiator hoses. So probably flush the coolant while I鈥檓 at it. Only 10 days until the next cars and coffee wish me luck.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Tints and shades

Premium Member
Finally got my gold 87 off jack stands following replacing of some fuel lines, vacuum hoses, and throttle linkage. And鈥 it actually all seems to work which if you鈥檝e seen my posts before following lots of changes usually isn鈥檛 the case for me.

Premium Member
That maybe the answer to my problem, last time i had them clean was last January and the car didn鈥檛 get out for a drive till April.

In fact I have been sending them out at the end of the driving season for the last 3 years.

Thank you!
You showoffs and your 鈥渞emovable injectors鈥 馃槨馃ぃ.

(7/8 of the bolts holding mine in are super duper stuck, so punted on that project until the winter when I can take the time to address any problems arising from applying a little more force to get them out without losing nice driving weather.)

Premium Member
So sorry- what happened?
Not quite sure yet. Part of issue is battery was drained. But even after a jump (well two) it would idle fine and drive super slowly but once accelerating much or for very long would die. I couldn鈥檛 hear the outside fuel pump which is pretty loud so it probably wasn鈥檛 running. My theory is that the tank pump was doing enough to supply some fuel but once accelerating that wasn鈥檛 enough to overcome forward movement making it harder for just one pump to push fuel forward. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

I don鈥檛 yet know if the pump is dead or if something else was causing it. Also suspecting that鈥檚 either my battery or alternator is not quite operating at 100% too.

Premium Member
What did I do? More like what have I done 馃う鈥嶁檪锔. Overtightened the terminal on this brand new in-tank fuel pump and snapped it off. Trying to decide whether I can get a good enough solder joint onto that pad to trust it will hold inside my fuel tank. Without melting the plastic. Would not try putting the post back on, but another wire for instance.

Wood Trigger Gas Revolver Cable

Premium Member
drilling is worth a try....probably a tiny 2mm drill
Personally I'd be dissecting/experimenting on the old pump (now, you did keep it right?;)) to see what is under that brass post...ie. does it screw out maybe?
Indeed I do have the old pump but it鈥檚 not the same brand (Delphi old, Airtex new). Anyone have a dead Airtex E8778 they want to dissect for me? Good call on it perhaps screwing out, I can probably try that.

Premium Member
Replaced the parking/emergency brake cable assembly that goes from base of parking brake lever to the differential. Finally fixed the 鈥減arking brake popping up after releasing鈥 issue I鈥檝e had since I got the car a year ago. And now the ebrake engages without pulling hard all the way up on the lever.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts