Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
they make your car go :ROFLMAO:

anyway, now back to being sensible: (oh, and nice diagram courtesy of a BB member, whose name I can't recall....but thanks)
View attachment 1738882

the second from the left is the motronic red stripe relay...you would be advised to buy a spare and keep that handy in the glovebox, because when it fails, your car goes nowhere.

The squadra only really comes into its own above 4000 rpm, below that it is a very subtle improvement.
Fill up with the highest grade petrol you can get (expensive stuff these days)
I'd appreciate a follow up, I've been contemplating a Squadra chip but all the forum posts about it are pretty old.

· Registered
70 Posts
I swapped out the front sway bar drop links which were making an annoying squeak and groan. Pretty easy job and they were more expensive than I expected but worth it to get rid of the noise.
Also finally got the right door adjusted to get rid of the persistent rattle, can't believe how owners put up with small repairs that really change the character of the car. Overall I'm very impressed with my new to me S4, really a classy ride.

· Registered
70 Posts
I wrangled the instruments out of the S4 and figured I'd try and sort the lazy / inaccurate tach. After trying to adjust the trim pot a few times, the tach only worked with it set to the original spot. At that point I decided to cut my losses and put it back together for the last time after a giving it a shot of Deoxit. Figured nothing ventured nothing gained.
Took it out for a spin between thunderstorms and viola, it seem to be working pretty accurately. Go figure.
Deoxit to the rescue once again.

· Registered
70 Posts
Hood Automotive tire Textile Grey Automotive design

Installed a dead pedal on the S4, some slight modification, then attached at the knee bolster bolt (upper left corner of pic. Fitment was for a late model Jeep or something but has a simple bracket that looked like it could be beat into submission. Bracket is hidden nicely behind carpet which needed only a little slice.
Price was $15 delivered so I figured it was worth a shot.

Attachments

· Registered
70 Posts
Finally got the right door to stop rattling with a new rubber alignment wedge and then opened it up to fix the inside rattle.
There are two screws (#2) that secure the glass to the regulator wires and the rear one was missing the rubber gasket and lower rubber strip. Pretty easy to find some similar parts in my mountains of spares.
Put it back together and presto, Robert's your mother's brother. Nary a rattle to be heard.

Book Font Parallel Rectangle Publication

· Registered
70 Posts
Firmed up the lumbar area of the S4 seats, pretty easy fix. Remove the two screws on the seatback cover and slap a 12" x 6" piece of 1/8" scrap plywood. If it isn't enough I imagine you could slide a piece of foam in there too but it's pretty close quarters and this seems about right for moi.

Attachments

· Registered
70 Posts
Replaced the brake master cyl today. Sadly mia regazza had developed a drinking problem. The lowest of the low, brake fluid. All the signs were there; persistent thirst for the devils brew, pedal was too firm etc. Alas, the problem had to be faced head on.

Yep, when I pulled it off, the booster was full. Not a big deal to suck it all out with the mighty vac pump but getting the lines fitted was a nightmare. Only one of the three fittings threaded in easily. In the end I had to get out the thread file and a needle file to get everything to play well. It took about an hour to figure out what was going on and getting the lines hooked up without fear of cross threading them. Weird, but hey it's Italian....

· Registered
70 Posts
Another cheap but useful upgrade replacing the courtesy light bulbs with LED's. They worked so well that I ordered two more for the trunk and underhood lights.
Be careful taking the courtesy lights apart there are small springs and ball bearings that will go into low earth orbit if you're not careful. Well , even if you are actually.

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
70 Posts
I finally ordered some Koni classic red front shocks for the S4 and slapped them on Saturday. I bought them from Classic Alfa as they were having a black friday sale and the price was lower than all the other suppliers even factoring in the shipping. Figure I'd swap the front brake lines too for some Goodridge units as the original rubber ones only last so long.
The only difficult bit was sliding the shocks over the lower mounting stud; needed liberal lube and persuasion. I installed them full soft which still seemed like plenty of damping in both directions, I was afraid they were going to stiffen the front end more than I wanted. Nice surprise when I took it out for a test ride, it rides and handles much better and the scuttle shake on bumps is nearly gone. Win - win :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts