Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
84 Spider Veloce
107 Posts
Very good day- installed new motor mounts and changed the intake runners while I was at it. The passenger side mount was really squished. What a difference in handling and shifting. Not as bad a job as I expected. I won't wait 37 years to do it next time.

· Premium Member
84 Spider Veloce
107 Posts
Replaced my transmission mount. Did the motor mounts a couple weeks ago. The tranny mount was harder, even with the pipe cap tool. If I ever have to do it again I'll use the old style mount as it looks much stronger. Discovered the old mount was installed upside down- not sure when that happened as I've owned the car for 34 years. Obviously the job was overdue.

· Premium Member
84 Spider Veloce
107 Posts
Finished rebuilding the front suspension following Vintre's excellent post- replaced all ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings. Long overdue after 37 years. Lower wishbone bushings and lower ball joint were shot as was the left center link end.
Need alignment now but on a short test drive, noticeable improvement- steering tighter, stays level around corners. Firmer feeling ride but takes bumps without jolting.
The upper wishbone must be under very little strain- ball joint still good and bushings look new although I replaced them anyway- I don't have any intention of ever doing this job again so better to just replace everything.

· Premium Member
84 Spider Veloce
107 Posts
Nice.

Where did you get the top from?
It's a Robbins top. I could have ordered it direct from Robbins but I ordered it through the installer. That way if there's a problem he takes responsibility and I won't get caught in the middle: "It's a problem with the materials", "No, it's a problem with the installation".
I didn't have any interest in installing this myself. I don't know nothin' bout working with cloth.

· Premium Member
84 Spider Veloce
107 Posts
Treated the Spider to 4 new fuel injectors. I'd had mine cleaned before, about 15 years ago but after 38 years I figured the original injectors didn't own me anything anymore.
I've also replaced the connectors for the injectors, CTS, TPS, CPS etc.
Which ones/ where did you get them, if I may ask?

· Premium Member
84 Spider Veloce
107 Posts
I get that sometimes with the Duetto - they just don't know what it is.
I once pulled up to the gas pumps next to a Miata. I sort of felt like, "Luke, this is your grandfather!" but the guy didn't even notice.
He noticed... he was just too embarrassed to let it show.

· Premium Member
84 Spider Veloce
107 Posts
I've gotten three compliments on my Spider so far:

Two were from people who said, "Nice Fiat!"

The other was from some lady probably in her late 70s who told me the car was "sexy". This left me feeling a little weird.

:oops:
Trust me- you won't feel weird when you're in your 70's.

· Premium Member
84 Spider Veloce
107 Posts
While you are there, you should replace the fuel lines too if you haven't already done so. Mine injector hoses looked fine but super brittle once I dug into them. Removing the plenum also makes replacing the passenger's side motor mount a breeze.
I'll second that. Replaced the motor mounts last year. This year did the fuel lines and injectors. The worst part of all those jobs was pulling the intake plenum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts