Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
California living.

Took a '91 Spider out for nice loop along the freeways near San Jose for 40 mins so it would ace it's biennial smog test as it has always done over it's 28 year existence.

But, sadly, it failed at low RPM. Sigh. Guess I haven't been taking it for long enough drives over the past six months. At least I hope that's it, and not the catalytic cvtr.

Attempt #2 in a couple of weeks....

· Registered
87 Posts
Fuse frenzy

What did I do alfa spider related today?

Well, I replaced all the fuses in an S4.....

OK, it's not going to garner me many points for technical merit, but I never paid much attention to the fuse-box since I bought the car last year. The other day I noticed they were mostly 30 amp with a few 20s tossed in. So I decided to replace them with the proper rated ones, which are mostly 7.5 and 10. I had to order from Amazon, as the two nearest parts places didn't have any low amp ATC fuses.

Took the car out for a drive to check if any of the lower rated fuses would blow (I wondered if the higher rated fuses were orig used to bypass some amperage issues). I turned everything electrical up to '11' -- except the power windows which appear to max out at about a '3' :).

Everything worked as designed, so I guess the 30s were orig used due availability issues.

· Registered
87 Posts
I use Continental Motors in Sunnyvale. I have a 84 spider and it requires a star smog. I have Richard at Continental get it smog. I always get a thing or two done at that time too. The running joke is Richard always says to me when I leave the shop - see you in two years. But my car does run great. It is far from being a car show winner but it runs and looks great and I have a lot of fun driving it.

Ken
Yep, just took my '91 into Continental for a check-up and the biennial smog struggle. He took it nextdoor to the star station:

15MPH results:
HC MAX: 121 Measured: 113 whew.
NO MAX: 807 Measured: 807 double whew.

Probably time to start considering a new cat, or moving out of CA, or buying a 74 Spider.

· Registered
87 Posts
Put a new set of Pirelli CN36 on the car.
'Tis the season for new tires. I got Pirellis as well today.

The thing that surprised me was the amount of interest in the car from the workers -- none of whom was over 25. Usually, if the car attracts any interest, it's from people "of a certain age..." (e.g. not young). But there was a lot of interest, appreciation and questions about the car (and spiders in general).

Kurt

· Registered
87 Posts
Took the spider out for a holiday weekend coffee run ..... and, sadly, needed to have it towed back. Ignition switch was totally uncooperative. With finagling I could get it as far as getting the accessory lights illuminated on the dash, but that was it. Mostly it's irritating as the switch was just purchased and installed in March, and I was pretty relieved to have that job done as it was zero fun and I figured the switch would be good for a 2 decades.....but 6 months later, I guess I was a little bit too optimistic.

I emailed the vendor, Classic Alfa, last night to see if others are having issues with the switch, but I haven't heard back yet (kind of disconcerting as when you ask a presales question they usually reply quickly). But I guess I probably wouldn't want to use the same switch again anyway....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts