Alfa Romeo Forums banner
15561 - 15580 of 15608 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Last week I eye-balled my 39-years owned 105 for the 1st time since it was painted; COVID had made it impossible for me to travel to Australia for nearly 3 years. Anyway, it was nice to see it in the flesh and while there I retrieved most of the stash of new and removed parts I’d collected for it in the 37 years since it last ran. At which point we realized that a) I had left at least one box of parts in our household storage unit, and b) I’d left the new Bonaldi boosters for it back in the US! Oh well, good progress is not super fast so what’s a few more months :).

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Reactions: jc96

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
Didn't see it on a Google search here. The front wheels on my 91S really need something because of brake dust. The rears are not bad. Thought about using bleach but don't know if it would hurt the paint on the wheel.
I watch a few detailing channels on YT and find a few guys using oven cleaner to good effect. The mild stuff you spray on cold and let it do its thing. I dare say the wheels have to come off as not to risk Easy Offing some sensor or such things one doesn't want "offed". Good luck.... Ciao, Chris

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
Might as well make the "review" interesting...

·
28,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,564 ·
I took 168B on 100-mile road trip today to my knee doc's appt. Took Alfa roads all the way, so did not go on either I-4 or I-75. Tried a new way back and did end up crossing under I-75 over the top of I-4. I motored right along and got to exercise the up and down Busso Whine singing on the cams with many gear changes. Did not hit rev limiter but close a couple times in the lower gears. Found a nice Florida State Park John B. Sargeant Park | WaterMatters.org (state.fl.us) on the Hillsborough River near Tampa off US-301.
Next knee check in November. Have 3 more PT sessions left this month.

The 168B turning out to be a fun daily driver. Still have things to do to it like new headliner and windshield maybe this winter. Have had new spare windshield in grate for probably 15+ years. Also have all the new window trim for front and rear and a new spare rear window, too.

Can't have too many spare parts when owning an Alfa!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took 168B on 100-mile road trip today to my knee doc's appt. Took Alfa roads all the way, so did not go on either I-4 or I-75. Tried a new way back and did end up crossing under I-75 over the top of I-4. I motored right along and got to exercise the up and down Busso Whine singing on the cams with many gear changes. Did not hit rev limiter but close a couple times in the lower gears. Found a nice Florida State Park John B. Sargeant Park | WaterMatters.org (state.fl.us) on the Hillsborough River near Tampa off US-301.

The 168B turning out to be a fun daily driver. Still have things to do to it like new headliner and windshield maybe this winter. Have had new spare windshield in grate for probably 15+ years. Also have all the new window trim for front and rear and a new spare rear window, too.

Pix

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X
725 Posts
I’ve not done much Alfa related stuff lately, just been enjoying every minute driving before winter comes. Currently the wiper motor has stopped working. I checked fuse and it’s not blown. It was freaking out before it stopped working like it did on my old 164. So new motor I will be needing soon. I am also in the process of moving! Me and the wife are buying her moms house and it’s a lot bigger than the house we are in, the bonus is a 1.5 car garage that’s very clean! I will have a space that will allow me to work on my car and not be exposed to the open. Have a few things I will buy after we move in but I’ll finally have a place for my very large tool box to sit. The person that painted my car will be repainting my bumpers free of charge since they were not painted correctly. I just need to find Time to get them off the car.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Love a white 164S. Seems like a nice ride.

I was up early today getting my youngest off to Charleston for ur 3 of college. 4:45am, so then I did a little driving close to my house in Madison NJ. There are actually some nice roads very close including my favorite run through the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge This is a area of Morris county, wealthy and influential people purchased the core land holding and donated it to the National Park Service when NJ Port Authority wanted to build an Airport to supplement Newark. A bit of not in my backyard as there are some very wealthy communities, horse farms, etc. Additional land donated and purchased make it about 8,000 acres and is an important habitat for migratory birds and all sorts of wildlife.

The key, like a lot of places is driving early before the bikes, cars, runners etc come out and the night shift police are not active. Plus the deer and occasional bear are not running a round. A couple of good pics of this morning’s choice, the GTV6.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Tire Sky Wheel Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
969 Posts
Must be aGTV6 day
Stripped mine down for paint
debating on pulling glass out, but can wait til y
its there n let them do it ir not
Cheers.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: Peter A

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Must be aGTV6 day
Stripped mine down for paint
debating on pulling glass out, but can wait til y
its there n let them do it ir not
Cheers. View attachment 1746945
Yes a gtv6 day. Sweet it looks to be a pretty straight Balocco. Will you re-do the signature stickers down the sides. I like the black center wheels for these red cars and have a set of campy magnesium wheels that need refinishing if I want a stock look. Gave my OZ wheels to my brother for his Milano, I kinda wish I had kept them.

Nice collection on your signature line.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Peter A, your rear looks lowered (along with the front). If you lowered the rear, how did you accomplish that?
Its just the smgle of the shot
Car is all stock n yes Im going to pull templates off have digial files made to cut the stripes. Cant seem to find them online
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Reactions: Peter A

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Peter A, your rear looks lowered (along with the front). If you lowered the rear, how did you accomplish that?
Tom - yes, lower in the back via shorter springs, matched rates to front 25mm torsion bars plus some other bits underneath. Lowered in front as well but not too far. It rides really well, still soaks up backroads bumps and crappy pavement. 225/50-15 tires are OEM diameter. I have had lower/stiffer and prefer this (not a track day car), compliance is just about right for me. I have also had shorter rear springs with stock front torsion bars and it worked pretty well with Bilsteins (I think, might have been Koni).

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
@pinshaw Thanks, it’s original paint, still pretty good and a great interior, very straight body. Got lucky. Pictures always look better than the real thing but it looks good with just a touch of Patina.

Your wheels look good are they BWA/Benzoni or Campy? The Campy that I have are nice and round, but the magnesium alloy are expensive to refinish properly. Ferrari used the same “electron” alloy, drives refurb prices up and the process is different than a straight aluminum alloy wheel. Hopefully you won’t have to get them redone because I never see repainted ones that have the right finish…especially with the dark centers.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hmmm interesting about the rims, guess I should search that out. Mine arent, bad but centers are a bit faded.

Youre right about the pictures looking better than rl. I was gonna just reshoot the roof n rear hatch but its pretty patnia’d all over. Tried buffing it out but paints too thin. Looked better, but up close the clear is going in spots, the rear fender is cracked n overall is just tired. Half my stripes are painted, other half are vinyl and cracked as well. Time to just get it over with n do it right.

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
beautiful pictures guys, thanx!! Today... foamed my road tool box spares box and changed the pedal pads with NOS ones. The weather here in NE Italy is still too hot for my tastes. So I organized my car cleaning supplies onto a rolling cart and just fiddle farted around the garage most of the day. Life is good! Ciao and thanx again for the pictures!! Chris

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
Ciao again…

Attachments

·
28,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,579 ·
Drove the 168B to church and then wally world. Will try to drive the QV later this evening or early in the morning when it is much cooler. Currently 91 with heat index 100F. We are heading back to VA on Wednesday for some cooler weather we hope.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,654 Posts
Finally washed my 91S for the first time this year. Forgot just how great it looks when clean, lol. Now to detail it out, including the interior. While everything is in good condition and works, it does get a little dirty when being used as the DD, including hauling garbage to the dump, and buying lumber, etc. Very versatile vehicle, yet stays in good condition, looks good, and runs well.

Checked out the 91S a/c again, which isn't all that great, but at least we don't need it worth talking about, not getting high humidity in the summer like some other areas of the country, even if we've been getting some high temperatures here this summer. No super high unbearable heat indexes. Been there, suffered that. Who needs it?

15561 - 15580 of 15608 Posts