Alfa Romeo Forums banner
15501 - 15520 of 15565 Posts

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,560 Posts
Very interesting, Chris. I remember my 64 Sprint GT having an oil temp gauge in the dash. It was interesting to see just how the temps changed, depending...

Got the goop on the front of the rear Milano muffler at the joint, but don't know it it will hold for long, that being a fairly highly stressed joint.

Did discover that the pipe ahead of that as it crosses over above the axle near the inner joint has also been rubbing on the top of the joint itself, slowly abrading a longitudinal groove in the pipe. Surprised it was wasn't leaking, yet. It is sooo tricky to get that darn pipe just right in that area. Evidently even Alfa of Tacoma didn't get it quite right the last time. Stupid design I think. At least I do have a new muffler to be installed someday. I'll have Prova Motors do it, as they understand Milanos.

Don't remember what the GTV6 has there.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well, this was yesterday, but did also drive the Spider to and from work today. Summer has finally arrived in Scandinavia, hopefully for more than a few days :cool:🍀
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1991 164S
158 Posts
Bolted the drivetrain back in my "S" yesterday. I rebuilt the rack with an Ebay seal kit and re-gasketed the whole engine along with a head swap from a parts car because my exhaust followers were toast. Hope to have everything hooked up and running by next weekend.
Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,504 · (Edited)
Been there done that with my BB2 the 164S I got in 2011 and put back on road in 2012 and sold in 2020.
FYI OBTW looks like you have the wrong Milano (75) and/or 24v 164 60605959 coolant sender installed for the temp gauge needle and red over temp dot. Temp gauge needle will work OK but RED dot icon will stay on.

Correct sender for 91-93 12v 164 is 60540639. I just happen to have couple new ones now.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Bolted the drivetrain back in my "S" yesterday. I rebuilt the rack with an Ebay seal kit and re-gasketed the whole engine along with a head swap from a parts car because my exhaust followers were toast. Hope to have everything hooked up and running by next weekend. View attachment 1740542
Looks as tho you know what you're doing. I love the cleanliness!! Ciao, Chris

·
Registered
1991 164S
158 Posts
Looks as tho you know what you're doing. I love the cleanliness!! Ciao, Chris
Thanks. Mehanical Engineer with a bit of "garage project OCD".
I've owned this 164 for 20 years now and have no intention of ever selling it. Makes a difference in how you approach things.

Reactions: therealguy419

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,507 ·
Got my driving rights restored by knee doc yesterday. Today I drove the QV to rec ctr for light workout and onto wally world to get some groceries. Drive QV to barbershop for first trim in 6 weeks was getting little ragged around the edges.
In home PT session tomorrow and one more exit session later this week.
Outpatient PT should start soon as per doctor's orders.

Felt good to double clutch a little with my other knee and new one worked fine for stop and go pedals.

·
18,560 Posts
Installed a nice clean oil vapor recovery container in the 91S. Was starting to see a little excess oil running into the intake hose, and seeping down and out the front. Those things do get pretty clogged up.

Nuts, I forgot to clean out that little drain tube running to the top of the oil pump. Might be plugged. Oh well. Tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1985 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 Graduate
58 Posts
Finished replacement of all the vacuum hoses with the HPSI kit. Fun little project. Evap Canister saw the light of day for the first time in 37 years…Idles about 200rpm lower now, about 1050. Found these 2 bumpers in the well when I removed the evap canister…
Grille Hood Automotive design Mesh Wood

Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive battery

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Met with Michele and sorted final deets on Rossa. He talked me out of something I had expressed an interest in doing and giving it more thought, I think I agree more than originally. Having the car in pieces reveals just how fortunate we are here that rust isn't an issue and I was able to get a real good look at the oil pan to frame area and I think, think mind you, that it can come out without clearance issues. Hotter than hades outside but fortunately, a storm blew thru yesterday and removed a great deal of humidity. Gas is up, close to 9 bones a gallon... Life is good, hope you all are getting some of it!!

The next few weeks at work should be interesting. We're in the process of draining a 400K gallon tank to facilitate inspection/maintenance. If the planets align, I'll go down in there for a quick looksee and hopefully some pics. Ciao, Chris

Reactions: pinshaw

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,511 ·
Met with Michele and sorted final deets on Rossa. He talked me out of something I had expressed an interest in doing and giving it more thought, I think I agree more than originally. Having the car in pieces reveals just how fortunate we are here that rust isn't an issue and I was able to get a real good look at the oil pan to frame area and I think, think mind you, that it can come out without clearance issues. Hotter than hades outside but fortunately, a storm blew thru yesterday and removed a great deal of humidity. Gas is up, close to 9 bones a gallon... Life is good, hope you all are getting some of it!!

The next few weeks at work should be interesting. We're in the process of draining a 400K gallon tank to facilitate inspection/maintenance. If the planets align, I'll go down in there for a quick looksee and hopefully some pics. Ciao, Chris
Fresh air mask I presume? Gas back to 4.53 at Sams and 4.64 in town station.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Self-Repair?

I have had two of these recently, one involving my 164. I finally found a replacement for the relay that is supposed to control the driver's window to auto-down. Mine takes about a dozen presses of the button, and I have to put it down every day to feed my pass into the reader in my work parking garage. The relay lives on the passenger's side of the car above the glove box and behind the air bag (yes, my car is a 95). So I get the relay and guess what? Now the driver's window is behaving perfectly.

Also had to replace my trusty Craftsman digital torque wrench because the screen was dead. This was about 3 months ago and I just never got around to throwing it out. Yesterday I decided it was time to act. Since there were batteries in the case, I decided to put them in and see if it would power up. Which it did!

Maybe time to buy a lottery ticket?

·
Premium Member
1985 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 Graduate
58 Posts
Replaced the Radiator cowl and upper speedometer cable. Didn’t expect to flush the cooling but had to remove the radiator to get the new cowl on and one thing led to another. Getting ready for shocks, springs and brakes this weekend…

·
18,560 Posts
Had a nice drive this afternoon in the 91S, taking it down toward Boeing Field in the south side of Seattle to our favorite Japanese grocery store, Maruta, to get some fresh sushi, etc, for dinner. As I was getting back into the car at the store, a fellow drove in and stopped behind my car and asked if the electric shocks in my car still worked. I said yes, and said they can be rebuilt now as well. He allowed that he loved the 164 Alfas, and now owned a Milano and a GT, don't know which version, GTV or Alfetta. I then left as he parked his car and dashed into the store, it being lunch time and many show up to get lunch takeout. Don't know if he is on the BB.

Stopped by the nearby Harbor Freight store to buy another tool, and then had a nice fast drive home on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
I miss HF and just looking around. Alfa wise, not too much, spent the better part of yesterday finding something for a fellow BB'er. Along the way I scored an original water pump for Rossa - just in case and I couldn't pass up 25 euro deal - and something pretty cool... a new alternator, German Bosch for about 70 bucks with the pulley for my ribbed belt setup. The catch is there are no brushes/regulator. No sweat as I have an adjustable unit in the box I've been meaning to put in the one currently in Rossa. Some gaskets and some odds and ends. The alternator will be an easy to do thing and a local shop will dial it in on their machine. This shop is pretty cool, all they do is electric motors and the like. Very old school.

Working full time last week and for now, next week. The 3d guy on our team got the "rona" and is confined till he tests out of the system. So 9 hours a day on site vs. the normal 5ish. This "testing out" is dicey as a process here in Italy as getting the negative result to load into their healthcare monitoring system is hit or miss at best.

Rossa might be released this week. Might being the operative word. The cladding is ready to go back on and I sent some ideas for some stuff to Michele last week. Life is good.

So off the beaten path... I shop the local FB yard sale pages and found a new Bissell ProHeat Revolution 2X carpet and upholstery cleaner for about half the price of new. This one is brand new/in sealed box as well. Dudette' hubby for some reason got rid of all of their carpets without thinking Dudette had just bought this thing. She sold it to me and lemme tell you, this thing sucks!! In a good, no GREAT way. Susan is into this sort of thing and is in her element cleaning upholstered stuff and carpets and so on. Methinks this wizbang machine will do a fantastic job on the carpet in Rossa!! I really want new carpeting in the car as the stuff in there while in excellent condition, is a faded - I don't know the original color - but a faded greenish grey. The CocoMats I'm getting will help but if I ever source a decent deal... in the meantime, this Bissell suckerupper will no doubt be a Godsend. I've babbled enough. Hoping everyone has a great Sunday! Ciao, Cris

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,516 ·
Slow lazy day yesterday. Helped ML out running errands for homeless food drop at 11. Early in the morning, I finally removed inner driver door panels on 168B and replaced to popping/binding door check stop with a new one and replaced the exterior door mirror with a better one.

Now Sunday morning time for a run to wally world for vittles but need to take a long way to get there to exercise the RED QV.

·
18,560 Posts
Had to dash off to the grocery store this morning. It became busy Alfawise. As I came out a guy drove up in a boattail, so of course we had to shoot the bull a little. He owns several other Alfas plus a Maser.

Then, as I was putting the food into the car, another guy walks up and compliments me on my 91S, saying it looks pretty darn sharp. Of course, we shoot the bull about Alfas for a little while, and turns out he says he works at Alfa of Seattle downtown, and we've known the same people including Carlo, etc. He said that they still work on the older cars as compared to most new dealerships. He figures the problem is that the factory does not care at all about the older cars, supplying few parts and service, so that philosophy affects all of the new dealerships. Pity. Lol, he was driving an MR2.

Now, this afternoon, I've got a guy coming by to buy my used 164LS transmission/diff. Be good to get that out of the garage.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Score! 70 bucks for a new TS Alfa 164 - well the pulley is proper and the ratings as it fits a metric butt ton load of cars over here, just needs a brush set and wouldn't you know it, I have a new set. Bosch in the box both. Tickle me pink. Ciao

Attachments

·
18,560 Posts
Great. I just got a good lower mileage used one for the 91S. Lol, has to be better, less worn, than the one in my 91s, as that one is still the original, although with newer brushes. I'll put in a new set of brushes, etc, in this newer one. He let me have it cheap and waved away the shipping, which was a lot, from Cal. I feel I owe him a little to compensate some for the shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Great. I just got a good lower mileage used one for the 91S. Lol, has to be better, less worn, than the one in my 91s, as that one is still the original, although with newer brushes. I'll put in a new set of brushes, etc, in this newer one. He let me have it cheap and waved away the shipping, which was a lot, from Cal. I feel I owe him a little to compensate some for the shipping.
Been watching this on eBay over here and the guy put "purchase proposal" meaning make offer. He has had it listed since Oct 2020 at least. So I made a dumb lowball offer and we were on. Our final exchange went sort of like this...

"I'm taking a risk on it not being "good" and you not accepting returns, how many years has it been listed?". Arrived today...

The one is Rossa will be rebuilt and put on the shelf ala Mr Steve. Ciao, Chris

15501 - 15520 of 15565 Posts