Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14701 - 14720 of 14746 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,073 Posts
Have to think about doing something with one of the Alfas, maybe an isolated driving trip locally or something. Just had our third planned vacation for the year canceled, caused by all the stupid people doing stupid things, making borders closed and friends not wanting to fly to visit. I'm really beginning to dislike the morons who are soo irresponsible, not caring about anyone else, partying all around with no regard of the safety of others, thus causing shutdowns everywhere. I hadn't really realized there were so many stupid people in this country. All I can say is, grow up.

At my age, I see my years slipping by, yet still in decent health, and wanting to see more of the world, but unable to because of the carelessness of so many others. Got one more trip planned for this fall, will be really pissed if that one falls through because people will not behave.
Meanwhile, will do some cleaning on the Alfas. Dirty because of the dirt thrown up when driving in the winter rain. They will surely require more cleaning in the future if what's his name returns the US back to the 19th century smokestack days as he is trying to do. Hell, I remember even the sixties, when the cars could get covered in airborne grit, etc, on them while parked at work. LA was esp bad.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm working on bringing my 164 back to life. I ran a compression test - pulled between 174 and 182 psi across the board. Then checked timing with the camshaft template - everything looks good. I couldn't find a 41mm socket at three different part stores, so I resorted to a 1-5/8 SAE socket. I hope the Italian gods don't look down on me. I checked the resistance and confirmed my coil is good. Tomorrow I'll install my new plug wires and walk through the idle checks to see if I can chase down a low-end stumble. It was good to be under the car again, it's been a while.

·
Premium Member
16,073 Posts
"so I resorted to a 1-5/8 SAE socket. I hope the Italian gods don't look down on me"

That's ok. We've all had to do that over the decades. With Alfas, you sometimes have to use whatever it takes to get the job done, lol. I just got done using an impact wrench long 15/16th inch socket to remove and replace the oil pressure warning light switch in our Milano. Haven't heard back from the Italian gods yet.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
16,073 Posts
Learned today that FCA will have a new corporate name:

Stellantis

Is it a new medication for a medical condition you never heard of, where the drugmaker's ad tells you to "ask your doctor?"
Is it the umpteenth new streaming service of 2020?
Is it a new app or social media platform that your kids are enjoying before their parents discover it?

Probably some new MBA graduate's idea of progress.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
They probably spent 7 figures + with a marketing firm to come up with that.

·
Premium Member
16,073 Posts
I just figured that they used the same "random name" generator software that the drug companies use to come up with the weirdest names you've never heard of, at the cost you mention, lol.

Reactions: krrobrock

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,707

·
Premium Member
16,073 Posts
Drove the DD 91S to the grocery store for more vittles, and as I was driving out, a young woman driving a dark gray Stelvio crossed right in front of me and stopped before going on. Zero recognition, no clue. Completely different demographics for the new Alfas.

At least the lawyer down the street with a bright red Giulia Quad turns out to also have a red Spider. Saw it once in the same parking lot. But then again, through the decades of owning Alfas, I often found that many Spider drivers didn't recognize or wave at drivers of GTs and sedans.

Haven't heard a word from the owner of the white Stelvio just up the street even though I suspect that he knows we have three Alfas in sight.

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,709
FB messaged a gal in MN, MN with new blue Stelvio like my friends wife as she wants to get a "vanity" tag for it. My friends wife has her 4 kids first name initials on her Stelvio. Interesting folks on FB Alfa Romeo North America group page. Jason hooked me up there as he is marketing that new crowd now. I am always plowing new ground trying to stay in touch with Alfa stuff.

·
Premium Member
16,073 Posts
Drove the DD 91S to our nearest town, Burien, and gassed it up. Noticed on the way that one of the town's local used car lots had a used white Giulia parked in the front row. Don't know anything about it, didn't stop in to investigate. They also had a Tesla S parked a couple of cars away.

·
Registered
583 Posts
FB messaged a gal in MN, MN with new blue Stelvio like my friends wife as she wants to get a "vanity" tag for it. My friends wife has her 4 kids first name initials on her Stelvio. Interesting folks on FB Alfa Romeo North America group page. Jason hooked me up there as he is marketing that new crowd now. I am always plowing new ground trying to stay in touch with Alfa stuff.
Hi Steve and everyone . Its been almost 10 years since I sold my two 164's. I had a 93 L Green I flew to richmand to pickup, I think i had some parts from Steve in it. The 91L came from CA. Jason did some work to it. I may even still have a box of parts Ill have to check. I went from the 164's to Mini Coopers and now finally back to a New Stelvio a couple months ago. Great Sports SUV. Ive done a couple of performance mods to date. Enjoy Robb

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,712
I sold PO a motronic fuel injection -117 computer for it. I think his name was Abbott? Think is was Ken K's shop I sent it to. My memory isn't as good as it once was.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Doctor or proff Abbott, He taught at the dental school. If I can find the box of parts I have I let you know what they are and if you want them for any reason Ill send them down.

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,714
Doctor or proff Abbott, He taught at the dental school. If I can find the box of parts I have I let you know what they are and if you want them for any reason Ill send them down.
OK, thanks

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
42 Posts
They also had a Tesla S parked a couple of cars away.
Apology if off topic, but worth the yarn.
Del, seen you spotted a Tesla, yes, they are coming, BEV and Hybrid is the future. Your comment made me grin , and made me remember the first TESLA,s i seen in real, few years back now. First one was in the morning, second one at motel car park in afternoon.
Borrowed my mates 04 diesel Hi lux, heading from Umuwa to Alice Springs, a 480km journey, to pick up new cats for my Holden's exhaust. After 190km on dirt road, hit the Stuart Highway and twenty kilometer up the road, i pulled in to Kulgura, A small roadhouse, and first or last pub in the Northern Territory. Could not believe it when i spotted a Tesla pulling in behind me. Now Kulgura is isolated, so seeing an electric out here is rare as teeth in a hen. Had a good look at it, then it really dawned, this is the future. After starting the trusty old diesel, pulled in out behind the Tesla, first very strange hearing no exhaust. The man new i was interested, so as he approached the 130kmh zone, he went full volts, it was like seeing a jet fighter turning to a speck as the Tesla disappeared down the straight. As the Toyota,s turbo slowly spooled, i got up to a comfortable 120kmh. After half hour/so, a speck turned to dot, to Tesla. All i could think, maybe saving his volts. As i over take him, had another good look at the car, was nice, and watched as he become the speck in my rear screen. Out here, range is a factor.
After arriving at the motel in Alice Springs, amazing, another Tesla, and they reckon lightning won,t strike twice.
Yes, so ever since then, i have had an interest in the electric, and think it will be an interesting time ahead.

·
Premium Member
16,073 Posts
We see them all the time here in the "high tech" area around Seattle and Bellevue. Can easily see maybe a half a dozen or more just on a drive across town. More model 3s now than the S and X, but still, all three. I like them, have driven the original roadster, ridden in the S and X, but wouldn't buy one, yet. Don't like that huge TV screen in the middle of the dash. They do go like stink though. Range is getting much better, and it seems battery breakthroughs are coming in the next few years.

Out of curiosity, though, may stop in that used car lot to peek at that used Giulia.

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,717

·
Premium Member
16,073 Posts
Took the Milano out for a nice drive, partly to just enjoy driving it, and also to finally check that the oil leak it had was indeed the leaky oil pressure signal light switch which I had replaced. Seems to hve been it, as there was no new oil running anywhere. Now to see if that original oil leak we had thought was the rear main seal was instead this leaky switch. The car starts right up when the key is turned, and revs nicely. Thoroughly fun drive.

Did learn that our planned trip back to Ct to visit relatives and friends, including Alfa people may end up being canceled because of all the stupid people doing stupid things with the virus. Seems Ct and the other New England States will not anyone in from states such as our without going through a 14 day quarantine period. Crud. This would be the 4th vacation scrubbed. Guess we will end up using one of the Alfas to tour more of Washington State that we haven't seen in decades such as Grand Coulee Dam, Dry Falls (site of the largest waterfall in the world at one time), and maybe some wine country east of the Cascades. It will be pretty hot, but at least it will be very dry heat, with no humidity. Probably take the LS as it's a/c is very good, can handle it. Won't take the SS I think, just because it is a very all black car, even with very good a/c.

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,719 (Edited)
Where is everybody? First too hot and then rained too hard today to go driving my 164.

·
Premium Member
16,073 Posts
Lol, maybe they melted from the wet heat, or got washed away by the rain. My bro in law in CT emailed today to say they reached 98F, and yet, he is soooo stubborn as to still not have any A/C in the house. I cannot imagine. At least when it gets very hot here, 88F today, pretty rare, it's fairly dry heat with no humidity worth talking about in comparison.

14701 - 14720 of 14746 Posts