Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14681 - 14699 of 14699 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Went for a drive this morning and all I got was the families "tick" telling me the battery was low.....again. Put the car on the charger for a few hours then went for a 10 minute drive. After 30 minutes, "tick", "tick" and eventually she started.
Got it home after a 10 minute drive and then again "tick". Put the charger back on for the better part of the day and......can't find the darn keys, neither of my 2 sets.
I'm hoping the "tick" was just a partially discharged battery and not the starter itself....that was a chore. Also rebuilt the alternator so should be charging fine (meter shows 13-14 volts when running). Frustrating.

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,683
Drove BB1 out and about this afternoon to get us some super "grinder" subs for early supper. Such a pleasure to be driving a 164 again. I went way across town to Toni's Pizza in our old neighborhood. Toni's Pizza

I have three sets of regular keys, one valet key, two remotes and two alarm keys for it, too. Alarm siren noise wire cut and antitheft box disarmed so just use the key to lock/unlock doors.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I’m getting back to my timing belt on the S after a few days of family time. The water pump I got from OKP was a pain the the backside to get in because of the bulbous thing below the pulley. I ended up having to dismantle more engine just to do that one thing. Finally succeeded but took way longer that I was anticipating. I did take a few moments and wire wheeled the heck out of the bolts though, some were ugly..... I haven’t even got started on checking valve clearances yet..... is there a trick to the throttle cable to get the intake plenum out of the way? I apologize if it’s more obvious once you start getting into it.

Thank you,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,685
I just remove four allen head bolts and small hose and set the throttle body and cable aside. Be careful of the throttle body gasket though. I did it that way because it is a real pain to loosen those big nuts on throttle cable enough to remove cable from TB bracket and you can lose that little spring clip on end of cable, too.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
More tackling of the jobs on the S today. Got the bits to make the cam hub puller as per Alfisto Steve’s instruction, I could only find hollow plugs here so I just packed it with washers. Couldn’t get either hub out for a lookie loo, thermostat housing for the front hub and even with the trans dropped out of the mount I was a few hairs short of getting the rear one out. I just wanted to change orings anyway, I was just curious.
On to tackling shimming and retorquing the rear head, had to adjust all three exhaust gaps, intakes were spot on.
Everything went mostly ok, the car thought it would fight back here and there but progress was made.
I’m glad I’m not paying for this, compared to all else I’ve worked on, this 164 sure has been time consuming to get things done. Sigh.
Front head and timing belt reassembly hopefully tomorrow. I have to clean covers etc still, see how it goes.
I sure appreciate Alfisto Steve’s technical tidbits spread throughout this site.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
More work today on the S, pushing forward with the timing belt etc jobs. Checked valve clearances and did a retorque on the front head, that went fairly smoothly, had to adjust all exhaust valves, until putting the valve cover back on and the screw where the dipstick is just spun. Time to break out the Heli coil kit and drill into the head. Once all back together I moved onto reinstalling the timing belt. Getting a the covers back on took a bit of extra time, just dealing with old plastic bits. I thought I would leave the water pump pulley bolts to tighten until after the belt was tensioned but then I forgot, when I was doing the engine run, bleeding, checking for leaks etc, I noticed that my water pump pulley had a bit of a wobble..... sigh
I did try and do some beautification by changing my damaged left driving light but the new one I got has a totally different wiring connector. Anyone know what connector that is so I can buy one? Or have a pigtail from an old car?
I only had time for a short drive before dinner, runs well, about the same as before, seems to idle more smoothly. Sure is a nice car in general, to drive, be in. While the coolant was drained I put in a new facet temp gauge sender from eBay, the gauge seems to indicate hotter now, a solid 90*c but my overheat light doesn’t come on randomly anymore.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,008 Posts
Wife came home from driving her Milano to the store and back, and came in, saying there is some smoke coming out from under the right side of the car (the way the wind was blowing). Oops. Took a look around, checking the gauges, noting that they all read fine, normal oil pressure and coolant temperature. Hmmm, started to peer around under the car, saw a couple of drips smoking on the exhaust, looked at the engine with the hood up, and noticed that there was oil dripping out from under around the oil pressure sender, running down onto the exhaust and causing a little smoke. Oil level was down to the min mark. Unusual, as the Milano does not use oil at all between changes.

Decided that something may be awry with the OEM pressure sender, either loose or leaking from a crack. There is nothing else around there which would leak oil. The pressure light sender area is dry, and there is no oil from the heads, esp the rhs, closer to the sender. Will clean the area up and then start the engine again to see what happens. Lol, at least it won't get oil on the clutch.

Nuts, I just hate trying to get at that d*mn pressure sender, tucked down in the back with little access. I do have a set of crow's foot socket fittings, but may be too thick to get under the sender housing to reach the not that tall nut. May have to grind one of them thinner. Luckily I do have a couple of spare senders, maybe one new, and a couple of ones I did my patented "drill the hole" repair on that I know work.

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,689

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Awesome, thank you. I will have to ponder that, the seller has a 94% feedback rating which is outside my normal comfort zone... Thank you for pointing it out, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,691
Awesome, thank you. I will have to ponder that, the seller has a 94% feedback rating which is outside my normal comfort zone... Thank you for pointing it out, I appreciate it.
I have bought from them before. Note the one I posted is cheaper and free shipping than their other one but both the same part.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Ok, thank you. With the border stubbornly remaining closed I would have to get it shipped to my door in Canada, instead of picking it up in Montana which increases shipping to over 30 bucks. Thank you

·
Premium Member
16,008 Posts
Well, got a surprise this morning with the Milano and it's oil leak. Wiped down that area around the two oil senders to clean up the oil, and started the engine. To my surprise, oil started dripping from the oil pressure warning light sender, not from under the actual pressure sender itself. Really. Weird. For one thing at least, looks to be much easier to replace.

Have to see if they are available. Looks to be #60506902 switch

Update: Not all that easy to remove. Takes a 24mm long socket, which I don't have, or a 15/16 inch long socket, which I did have. The electrical connection tab sticks out too far for a regular length socket. Also had to use a vice-grips pliers on the socket to turn it, space too limited for a regular socket arm. A sixteenth of a turn or less at a time.

Going to try an aftermarket version of the switch for that specific car. In stock at the local parts house.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,694
Check the threads on switch. Maybe coarse threads on the Milano but fine on the 164.

·
Premium Member
16,008 Posts
Thanks for the warning. Yes, the 91-93 164 oil pressure light switch does have a different number.

Bought an exact replacement at Reillys Autoparts called for the 89 Milano 2.5L engine in their computer. Looks identical, including threads.

Update: Easily fixed. The OEM supplied Bosch switch turned out to be all wobbly where the electrical tab comes out of the fitting. Evidently the pressure cycling over the years just loosened everything up inside. Through the decades, the Bosch components in our Alfas have often proven to have questionable reliable for long life.

Now that I think about it, the leak the Milano has had for decades, which we thought might be the rear main seal, may in fact actually been this d*mn switch leaking. We shall see.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cleaned my fuel filter.
Decided against swapping K&Ns with RamFlos.
Put a bid on a Weber intake manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Spent the weekend on the garage clean-out project. Pretty amazed by the crap I've stored for years. Unfortunately, we've moved into the triple digit part of the season. So the amount of work done is curtailed by the need to seek cooler environs by mid-afternoon.

At the same time, I'm cleaning some of the racecar GTV parts. Between the ultra-sonic cleaner and various other cleaning solutions, I'll have all the red paint and grease off soon. Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on if you're racing the car) I found that a Burman box mounting hole was well and truly cracked. I'll need to check the rest of the steering for issues.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Spent the weekend on the garage clean-out project. Pretty amazed by the crap I've stored for years. Unfortunately, we've moved into the triple digit part of the season. So the amount of work done is curtailed by the need to seek cooler environs by mid-afternoon.
I suspected that you must be my neighbor with the triple digits and sure enough I’m in Folsom suffering the same heat! I also got the cleaning bug. So much junk at least I can walk to my workbench without stepping over anything now. :)

Here I’m tuning my ignition in 106 degree heat. My laptop got angry with me and refused to cooperate.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
I suspected that you must be my neighbor with the triple digits and sure enough I’m in Folsom suffering the same heat!
I'm in Wilton.

Yep, electronics don't like this kind of heat. My phone quit and had to be cooled off.

14681 - 14699 of 14699 Posts