Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14661 - 14680 of 14693 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I like the painted lower cladding, gives the car a bigger, bolder appearance. They should have done this from the factory on the N/A S models.

·
Premium Member
16,002 Posts
I do like the look of Steve's black 164. Really sharp. I tended to think that the S cladding made the car look kinda heavy.

For some reason, those rear bumper covers are pretty darn rare, people not saving them from totalled cars. I keep expecting someone to steal the ones from our 164s.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,664
I do like the look of Steve's black 164. Really sharp. I tended to think that the S cladding made the car look kinda heavy.

For some reason, those rear bumper covers are pretty darn rare, people not saving them from totalled cars. I keep expecting someone to steal the ones from our 164s.
Thanks, I like it, too.

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,665
Found some new 164 Boge struts. Got two fronts and one rear so far. Seller sent one of each to my FL address and today I got another front one here in VA. Have one more coming here next week. Hope it is another rear one to make a full set.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Started down the timing belt path. Ended up needing a tensioner but Centerline is out of stock so giving OKPa try.... see how that goes. I will check valve shimming and do a head retorque while I wait for parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,667 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Wasn't really today, it was this weekend.

Ran up to Sonora to help my buddy, again, with his GTV racecar. I'll drop some pictures. Very interesting front sway bar mount. Highly variable rear. Unfortunately, when he had it sand/soda blasted before painting, it piled grit all over the underside. There is a lot of just cleaning to do. In addition, the painter didn't mask anything off, and I told him I wasn't going to the races with him with painted up Burman box and other ancillaries. Me and my big mouth. So I brought home some parts to clean and coat.

Highlight of the day was to run through the Sierra's windy roads to a great burger joint located in a gas station. Mode of transportation...Alfetta Sprint Veloce Mille Miglia. What a treat.

·
Premium Member
16,002 Posts
First 164S I had a chance to see was an all white one in Cal. Absolutely blinding in the sunlight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Today I followed Steve's "how to" instructions and went on to remove the front head rests to make them fit with the correct side forwards. They were fitted wrong way round as you can see in the first photo.
Disassembled an old wiper blade, took one of it's long metal blades and bent its end to push the tab to unhook the head rest.
Had to give up a bit of skin in the process
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,002 Posts
Don't understand the "sensitive content, not recommended for those, blah, blah" note attached to the above post. I see only a everso slightly injured knuckle.

Shoot, I get those a couple of times a day. At our age, the skin is thin, and cuts, scrapes, and bruises are common if you do almost anything, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I hear you, Del. I frequently come in and find cuts and bruises that I don't recall creating.

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,673
Got interesting phone call today from VA DMV. Lady said the mail or maybe mail room just delivered my application for a antique vanity plate for the 93L I sold couple years ago. She is sending back my application and my check.

Well be interesting to see the date on the application.

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,674
Also got a $3500+ bodywork and paint estimate for BB1 my 91L but might be a bit rich for my blood. Hard to justify getting a poly urethane clear coat paint job but it is only money. Cherry-ing out the body would cost more than the paint.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Steve, I understand that. It's hard to justify on a purely economic basis.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
But its sooo much cheaper than a new Giulia. I say go for it, having just paid an equal amount to have the dent on my LS removed where my daughter side-swiped it in my driveway.

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,677
It's only money though.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I wouldn't be working on any of my 164 if it was about economics. I've got more in parts than the purchase cost of the latest LS. Even all in, I can't find something that is this fun to drive.

Of course, it would help if I finished it.

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,679
But its sooo much cheaper than a new Giulia. I say go for it, having just paid an equal amount to have the dent on my LS removed where my daughter side-swiped it in my driveway.
Don't ya just hate it when that happens? Panera Bread paid me about 500 to get the hood fixed when the wind blew one of their outside patio tables over the fence on it years ago when the daughter was driving it. I never got it fixed. She also went through two front bumpers and two right fenders and right headlights. Maybe since it is back in my possession it is time to spend that money and then some. Sure wish I had put on the good dent free silver hood from here wrecked 164B before I moved to floor as the quote to now repair dents in hood is 828 USD.

Maybe Neville's got a good hood in his stash in JAX. Maybe I best just wait until I get it back to FL to do the body and paint work? Still looks good from 20 feet.

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,680
This was bumper, fender and headlight #2 on BB1 done in by a hit and run maybe 3 years ago. I was not able to save bumper or fender but was able to replace lens on Bosch projector headlight. Light lives on on another now sold 164.

14661 - 14680 of 14693 Posts