Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14621 - 14640 of 14682 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Triple checking tanny level with "hot" method as per manual and what info I have found. Definitely low on fluid and I can't tell if the leak is tranny or steering fluid (although steering fluid seems to be maintaining its level, there is a bit of seepage at the boot, I think). Putting in some Lucas stop leak.
On another note, and I can't find the last thread mentioning it, found the torque settings for exhaust manifold nuts is 18 lbs. Not sure how that translates to "brute strength" open ended wrench though as I can't get a torque wrench in there.

·
Premium Member
27,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,622
One good elbow clip should be close enough.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
Spent 8 hours Saturday helping with the racecar GTV. Wasn’t quite as far along as I had hoped. We had hoped to scale the car, but nothing other than the suspension was installed. We spent several hours getting the engine and transmission installed, fuel cell placed, fuel pumps loosely placed, and then moved around all the ancillary items in order to ameliorate a 260 lb driver in a 1600 lb car. Worked with him on a to do list of items to get the car done.

Worked on the LS yesterday. Mocked up the coil/fuel injectors harness. Then started to finish up the cam belt. Fortunately I checked the cam/crankshaft timing and found it out of phase. So back to sorting it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
We skipped spring and headed straight to summer. High is projected to be 102, which means the shop will be hotter!

Too hot too soon, bad enough to decide to do the prep on painting some cabinets in the house instead of wrenching in the shop. That’s pretty bad.

I’ll have start at the crack of dawn, tomorrow, to avoid the same lack of progress.

·
Premium Member
27,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,625
We had 91 today with 99F heat index. My french door project outside brick molding fitting got a couple hours work early in the day then have to go inside. Will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L
21 Posts
Project of "renewing" my 91 164L is moving along. I was able to find a hood, right front fender and "S" bumper skin for a great price locally. Once I get the parts I'll dis/reassemble the replacement parts, and possibly remove the lower bumper skirt (rivets?) before bringing the 164L for a repaint/blending with existing. Then I'll be satisfied aesthetically. Pics to-follow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Valve guide removal. This is a first for me, riddin pretty high in the saddle.

First drift was made of aluminum, worked for half the guides and then got very crooked. Pushed out cold with out to much problem.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Moving forward on my 164 LS fuel line R&R - mandated because of a slow leak in CYL1 injector feed hose. As usual, such a "simple" activity opens up Pandora's box due to the "while I am here..." syndrome. Yesterday I decided to replace the spark plugs, as I have not done that as of yet during my ownership. I ordered a set of NGK BKR6EIX from FCP Euro to replace the NGK BKR6EGT that were in there. Much to my surprise, they landed on my porch just after noon today (standard UPS delivery - I'm only 40 miles away), so I had something to do while waiting for the Crew Dragon launch. The front 3 old plugs were in good shape, with the gap right near .024, while the back 3 had a gap that was more like .040. Guess someone was lazy along the way and only maintained the front three - although they were all the same NGK plugs. I also over-wrapped the wiring harnessing areas where the conduit tubing had cracked away.

One thing I have been considering in this R&R is replacing the LS intake horns with the larger Q units, but my search so far has not turned out any availability. I could not locate any injectors (although soooo many internet "sources" reported availability until I placed an order...), so I bought a kit of caps, spacers, filters and seals. They fit perfectly, so Pretty Happy with that outcome.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Moving forward on my 164 LS fuel line R&R - mandated because of a slow leak in CYL1 injector feed hose. As usual, such a "simple" activity opens up Pandora's box due to the "while I am here..." syndrome. Yesterday I decided to replace the spark plugs, as I have not done that as of yet during my ownership. I ordered a set of NGK BKR6EIX from FCP Euro to replace the NGK BKR6EGT that were in there. Much to my surprise, they landed on my porch just after noon today (standard UPS delivery - I'm only 40 miles away), so I had something to do while waiting for the Crew Dragon launch. The front 3 old plugs were in good shape, with the gap right near .024, while the back 3 had a gap that was more like .040. Guess someone was lazy along the way and only maintained the front three - although they were all the same NGK plugs. I also over-wrapped the wiring harnessing areas where the conduit tubing had cracked away.

One thing I have been considering in this R&R is replacing the LS intake horns with the larger Q units, but my search so far has not turned out any availability. I could not locate any injectors (although soooo many internet "sources" reported availability until I placed an order...), so I bought a kit of caps, spacers, filters and seals. They fit perfectly, so Pretty Happy with that outcome.

View attachment 1631493

View attachment 1631494

View attachment 1631495
Do you still have your Spiders?

The Duetto and the S4?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nope. Just closed cars on road today. I have a 71 1750 Spider that might come together some day. We had planned on taking the GTV6 Callaway out to the Colorado Springs convention. Maybe next year!

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Nope. Just closed cars on road today. I have a 71 1750 Spider that might come together some day. We had planned on taking the GTV6 Callaway out to the Colorado Springs convention. Maybe next year!
I can't believe you sold your Duetto.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
You owned one of the nicest Duetto's that I have ever seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Mike,
Good project to do, especially on the LS high pressure fuel lines. I know how you feel with things are opened up and need R&R.

I am tackling the Milano's under dash leaf clean out by removing the blower motor.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Today I wire brushed the rear crossmember which had surface rust on it. Then applied rust converter.
Looks a lot better now

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
27,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,637
Missing my 81 Kham Tail Spider I sold 17 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
Spent a bunch of time cleaning parts.

I spend too much time cleaning parts!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Got myself a spare boxer with 130k kilometres on it. Never been apart. Hoarding alfa parts is another symptom of alfa virus

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Reactions: horsewidower
14621 - 14640 of 14682 Posts