Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14601 - 14620 of 14637 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Weekly?.... Daily, twice daily, hourly more like. Lets all band together and cheer those successes, no matter how small. Praise the good turns, the final separation of the rusty blob of a fastener, the still being able to see after the brake clean bounces back into your eye. WE NEED REASON TO CELEBRATE HERE!!!!! You can do it..... :)

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,602
Weekly?.... Daily, twice daily, hourly more like. Lets all band together and cheer those successes, no matter how small. Praise the good turns, the final separation of the rusty blob of a fastener, the still being able to see after the brake clean bounces back into your eye. WE NEED REASON TO CELEBRATE HERE!!!!! You can do it..... :)

Cheers,
OK, as for myself currently with BB1 my 164L still stuck in Virginia Beach I can only read the alfaBB hourly, daily and weekly. I look at all my spare parts in the our current garage and shed. No longer have access to the attic in this FL house nor do I currently have any spare parts in the living spaces of this house either. So currently stuck in an advisory status with an occasional give away or sale of an Alfa 164 part I have to spare to a needy Alfisti.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I just went back and re-read my GTV thread. It's been 7 years since I started that engine...seems like yesterday. Pretty much haven't started it since.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ahhh. Was going to remove the alternator....seems simple enough and the compressor.....never mind. I will stick to the alternator and clean up the oily gunk underneath and have a good look at things.
Made up a new "tool" for the a belt as the old one twisted to uselessness last time around/. This one is beefier but I think too beefy. Will post a short video or a picture later.

Now, I tied to shift to P at idle and heard a grinding sound both when shifting and in park. Took it back to neutral right away. Shut off, put in P, started up and no grinding but that did make me nervous. I had the shift handle off and was pushing down on the actuator fully.
A quick search indicates low tranny fluid but I thought I would post and ask for input from the experts.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Removed the alternator. Easy enough. Actually wiggling it out took longer than removing the bolts, harness, etc. If you're doing one, maneuver the thing so the mounting ears are both facing up and forward, towards the headlamp cavity. Seemed to work best.
The alternator worked fine but is gunked with oil as is the compressor. I won't try to remove the compressor as the lines look as they will put up a serious fight.
I was going to swap out with anew one I bought 3 years back and of course.....it's the wrong one. Rock auto purchase. This was listed for a 24v ls but perhaps it is for another year?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Could be they (Rock Auto) had the wrong one listed for a 95. Bought it 3 years back as a "just in case". Will be putting it up shortly.

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L
14 Posts
Still dealing with my recently purchased 91 164L. Needs some minor body repairs, but not a priority at the moment as I want to enjoy the ride for now, although I'm still anxious that it needs some TLC. I'll post later on for mini project. In the meantime I tackled the OEM rims which look like they had never or seldom cleaned (see pics). Took a couple of days of nice weather to gather up plastic bristle brushes, pads, and mild cleansers to at least reduce the spread of brake dust on the rims. Some crannies are still thick with "petrification" but I got most of it out. My question though is how can a completely clean them without resorting to scraping and gouging?

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Completed the alternator re and re. Cost me $46 (Cdn) for anew regulator and bearing or the front and that included removal and installation of the bearing. Cleaned up well enough and although not "new" looking, as Springsteen said "She ain't a beauty but she's alright".

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,611
Looks pretty good to me and if it works all the better.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Picked up a Griots G8 3" polisher. Out of the box, appears to be a well made machine. Mass to size ratio is to my liking (sort of like I deal with old electronics, heavier is better) and the fit and finish looks good. I'll give it a test drive this weekend.

Disassembled an AFM, needed a couple of the parts. It looks like you could take the bottom off if you ground off the staked posts. Cleaned up a fuel regulator and some fuel rails to send away. I ended up using a torch to burn off the old fuel lines. They were reluctant to part ways with the fuel barbs, and I wasn't going to cut them off.

Off tomorrow into the Sierras to help a buddy with his assembly of a GTV racecar.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,617
Works great. Was working prior but that oil and heat build up would have killed it eventually. Gauge, however accurate it may be, showed 14 volts at idle.
So am I seeing electric strut on your LS? Do you have the leveling suspension system?

·
Registered
963 Posts
So am I seeing electric strut on your LS? Do you have the leveling suspension system?
Just one of those mysterious things that does not seem to be connected to anything. I have the button on the console but the font struts are not wired to anything. I covered the ends with tape to keep them clean. I was meaning to post that very question.... where are these supposed to be connected? The solenoids do click when applying voltage directly (I checked when I was replacing the stops.)

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,619 (Edited)
Just one of those mysterious things that does not seem to be connected to anything. I have the button on the console but the font struts are not wired to anything. I covered the ends with tape to keep them clean. I was meaning to post that very question.... where are these supposed to be connected? The solenoids do click when applying voltage directly (I checked when I was replacing the stops.)
Do rear struts have the solenoid valves. too? I think those struts would only be on LS with manual transmission as well as on a Q. Eper shows electric struts on both LS/Q models with manual tranny. Strange configurations have happened though.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I will have to look but wading through the 1" stack of receipts collected by the prior owners, I see struts were replaced with used ones. Could be they replaced stock ones with electronic ones. I will check my manual to see if there is any mention of electronic struts BUT I do have the button installed on the console. Would think it odd for someone to install a useless button after the fact.

14601 - 14620 of 14637 Posts