Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14581 - 14600 of 14637 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
The topic of this is "What did you do Alfa related today?". The answer is not a gang thing.

My LS is clean and in storage at my office's parking garage downtown. There is no room in my garage here at the house with one son home from university. Downtown storage seemed the best solution plus there is a lot of available parking at the office garage. It is thunderstorm season here in north Texas and I do not want any of my cars to get hit with hail. Also, we are just not driving much lately as I have been working at home for the past 5 weeks or so.

Hopefully I will have some free time this weekend and drive down and put some leather conditioner on the seats so that they do not dry out. I may take it for a quick spin to move the fluids around.

Cheers everyone and stay safe.

Jeff
Owner of the only living 164 in Dallas, or so it seems.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,582
The topic of this is "What did you do Alfa related today?". The answer is not a gang thing.

My LS is clean and in storage at my office's parking garage downtown. There is no room in my garage here at the house with one son home from university. Downtown storage seemed the best solution plus there is a lot of available parking at the office garage. It is thunderstorm season here in north Texas and I do not want any of my cars to get hit with hail. Also, we are just not driving much lately as I have been working at home for the past 5 weeks or so.

Hopefully I will have some free time this weekend and drive down and put some leather conditioner on the seats so that they do not dry out. I may take it for a quick spin to move the fluids around.

Cheers everyone and stay safe.

Jeff
Owner of the only living 164 in Dallas, or so it seems.
"Owner of the only living 164 in Dallas, or so it seems."

Not true if you count Flower Mound part of DFW area. Curt has his 164L THERE.

·
Registered
746 Posts
"Owner of the only living 164 in Dallas, or so it seems."

Not true if you count Flower Mound part of DFW area. Curt has his 164L THERE.
Yes, you are correct I had forgotten about Curt's car. I suspect there are also a few in storage somewhere in the area. It's just that they do not bring them out to shows or Alfa events and I never see them in traffic.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yesterday. Started to contemplate removing the oil cooler and lines to deal with leaky lines but looking above, I noticed that the oil was coating the bottom of the alternator and everything below that. So, may not be the lines at all (or maybe both). There is not visible leaking on the pulley side of the engine and have to find the source of the leak. I really hate puddles on my driveway.

·
Registered
963 Posts
On another note, starter spins way faster and stating is quicker after cleaning out the starter and adding a new relay. Not an easy-peasy job but worth the effort. Tightened up the exhaust nuts a bit. That will continue until all evidence of leaks are gone and then the firewall goes back in...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yesterday. Started to contemplate removing the oil cooler and lines to deal with leaky lines but looking above, I noticed that the oil was coating the bottom of the alternator and everything below that. So, may not be the lines at all (or maybe both). There is not visible leaking on the pulley side of the engine and have to find the source of the leak. I really hate puddles on my driveway.
I hear ya. I just gave a lot of money to my mechanic to fix my persistent oil leaks. New new high pressure oil cooler hoses were installed, a new cigarette seal, new oil pan gasket, and crankcase ventilation hoses at the back. They had to remove the oil pan to get to the cigarette seal, which was difficult to get to. The steering rack was rebuilt 3+ years ago but it has developed a small leak. He added some stop leak to the hydraulic fluid to see if that helps. My car should be all nice and dry. I will know more when I start to drive it again. It has been in storage for the last month. Good luck with your efforts.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Depends on the State. Some are more strict than others.

We can go out to get groceries/gas, do essential chores, go to Lowe's, Ace, Home Depot, and even nurseries are open for buying "comfort" plants, lol (we do wear our masks to protect others, as all should). In fact, being retired, this is pretty much no change for us, as we are not doing anything different except not going to our fav restaurants, but we do get takeout from them. Always lots of good books to read on every subject (just finished the "Perfect Theory", now reading "Slide Rule by Shute. If you don't read, you don't learn), puzzles to work (which we do anyway), the veggie garden is going in as usual, I'm working on new recipes for my cooking, and I'm also working on my landscaping. No need to do anything on any of the cars. Quite frankly, I'm more worried about the fate of Democracy in this country.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Been driving the $hit out of RC and having a good time with him! Gas mileage is pitiful with the gearing, carbs and cams but it's a fun way to start the day on my way to work. Fuel is down so that helps. !.21 euro for a litre. About 5 bucks a gallon. So I started another/new job here. Working at a holding receiving station for all of the jet fuel we go thru on base. Basically we receive, store, pump, maintain piping, pumps, valves in the service of about a million gallons of fuel on the base. I'm not a pump jock in that sense of the word but it's interesting to say the least. Still working at the store a few days a week so staying as busy as I want to be in my semi retired state.

Lock down continues albeit loosened to some extent. Limits in place for the numbers of people in given areas and social distances and all that jazz. Best part about it is the roads are less congested. Win WIn on this front. Rossa needs a battery and in the next weeks I'll get one and bring her out of her slumber tho road trips are no in the cards this summer as the concept of open borders has pretty much gone away with all of this other nonsense. It'll be of interest to see Italy and our relation to the EU in the coming years. The local citizenry are pi$$ed and want change. Lots of talk about following the lead of Great Britain. We'll see. Life is good, we all are well. Ciao, Chris

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good to hear from you Chris, thanks. Say, maybe you could come up with a conversion kit (has to be cheap/inexpensive) to burn jet fuel in your Alfas?? Has to result in more HP, of course. :geek:
Stay well there, both of you. Dennis

·
Registered
963 Posts
Lousy weather today so no Alfa time. I was driving through Schomberg (Ontario) yesterday. There's a used car shop, kind of ratty looking but the owner is a good egg. They had a nice Spider out there a few weeks back. Straight body, very nice interior $10k CDN. Yesterday, I noticed that the spider had been replaced with a 164!. Took a few images but as the shop was closed, no idea of asking price. Looks like factory red, body kit, spoiler but no rear badge. Possibly a sport model. Body is super-straight with no bubbles in the usual places. Black leather in really good shape (some ceasing). If I didn't have the LS and if my wife wasn't vying for a Miata.....but I confess, apart from the seat style, I prefer the exterior styling of the LS. Pictures attached. The phone number is in the window in case you need to satisfy your curiosity.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Interesting fog light guards, or maybe there are no fog lights, just the screens. Wonder which brand rear muffler is, doesn't look like mine which is OEM. Looks clean and complete otherwise. Even has the little rear bumper tow hook panel.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I'm ashamed to admit that I purchased an appliancemobile to get me to and from work. My quest for a DD Alfa has been frustrating enough, and my energy level low enough, to require an interim solution. Luckily, the Lovely Donna really likes it so it will go to her when I have the Alfas motoring down the road again.

Just to update:
1995 164LS - Just finish the **** timing belt, BOB!!! Although, I think it probably also needs a clutch. I have the parts.
1984 GTV6 - Transaxle back from APE r&r. 3.0 V6 rebuild to be done in July. Hope to install engine, transaxle and re-guibo the driveshaft in late July, August
1974 GTV - Next onto the lift. I need to fix a couple of things I did wrong, oh those many years ago. R&r the brake lines and calipers, fix the engine mount issue, install the driveshaft that was rebuilt many years ago. Etc...etc...etc

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L
14 Posts
Wonder which brand rear muffler is, doesn't look like mine which is OEM. Looks clean and complete otherwise. Even has the little rear bumper tow hook panel.
Looks like aftermarket Ansa, which is fitted to my 91 164L. The "L" also has the tow hook panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Looks nice whatever brand of exhaust it is. The only real blemish I see is on the drivers-rear door handle. Seems to be a crack of some kind. If I have a reason to drive by again, will have a look at the suspension and under to see if the cat and resonator are there. Just curious. A few years back, I found a wreck 164 at the local yard. Manual, sport seats but soaked over the winter season so probably not worth salvaging. Most of the little things gone and some as*** smashed the glass (as it was intact the fist time I had a look). This car had "gorilla" struts. The struts were beat up, disks and backing plate rusted and the wrecker wanted $75 per piece. No idea who made those (look up "gorilla struts"... wrong type of gorilla) so I passed not wanting expensive junk that could not be rebuilt. With renewed searching I did find a gorilla silverback suspension kit for Subaru.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Posted this response to another thread but placing here as well.
"Good topic and a few years back, I purchased an anemometer to check a few things:
At idle and with stock box and a k&n filter, what is the air speed between the airbox and maf?
What is the air speed with the airbox only and no filter (is filter restrictive)
What is airsped with NO airbox? (How restrictive are airbox and filter, can bottom of airbox be altered to allow better flow and maintain filtering?
With a cone filter replacement? (would 2 cones be better than an airbox and filter?)
Haven't gotten to it yet as I need an adapter for the cone filter and to fit the anemometer... and other priorities took hold but on my list of thingies to do this season."

As for Alfa stuff today, rain and chores I regret. I will be (in the next few days as I suspended the insurance for 60 days, 45 days back) be revising the soundproofing under the rear speakers,
looking for the source of an oil leak(s) around the alternator and compressor areas,
doing an oil and filter change while doing the above, and probably remove the alternator to clean it up,
looking at the 3 unchanged engine mounts to determine if a weak one is the cause of vibration through my steering wheel and vibration in general, if so; make a replacement out of urethane as I did for the front-right.
Lots of stuff to keep me busy but a good days work (except for the mount).

If everything is good mechanically and no new problems crop up, may look into a respray in the fall.

Off topic and not off topic, would anyone recommend RTV only for valve covers? I don't think mine can stand another re and re.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Pretty hard to measure air speed with NO airbox, I think. Flapper has to flap for the engine to get gas.

Me I'm waiting for New York's Capital District to come out of lock down so construction can begin on my new garage.

Oh, the LS is out of the body shop with new windshield and the bump my daughter inflicted ironed out. But now at shop waiting triennial belt replacement.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The flapper is between the box and maf, I think (will confirm) so if only the outer box is removed, should be able to check by having the anemometer placed within a frame to limit leakage from the perimeter and check real flow at idle.

As for Alfa stuff actually done today, changed the oil and filter. I laid out everything to guarantee a hassle fee and spill free change. Went well until the drain plug slipped from my fingers and all of the oil "whooshed" out and mostly went into the bucket. Left the pan under to catch drips and then the wind picked up...so much for the spill-fee change. Lots of oil messing up under the alternator and compressor so those have to be removed for clean up and to find the leak. Nothing apparent in t belt area and I believe it is a leaky valve cover gasket. The same type of leak on my Hyundai V6 fried the alternator. Was going to do the repair myself but when I looked up the procedure for an alternator change on that model...when I woke up from the nightmare I checked with Hyundai and discovered there was a "silent" warranty on the 3.3 engine valve cover gasket and they covered the entire repair.

On the 164, I don't think I can tighten the cove down any more and think the gasket just failed at a meeting point between the gasket and orange seals. I removed the plastic timing belt covers and ran he engine for a bit. Slow procedure: off goes the A belt, off go the covers and on goes the A belt. My home-made belt detensioning device gave one last, brave service before twisting itself out of existence so will have to make another. Engine ran smoothly with no variation in T belt gap, which I think is good. A slight vibration makes me think I have a weak mount somewhere. I had shot some video but the audio was muffled and I deleted it. I will shoot some more and make sure audio is usable.

Hoping to motivate myself to get this done by the weekend so I can move onto my rear shocks and put in the new boots. That's not a must-do but would be nice to get it done.

Back to the front, I snugged the exhaust manifold nuts a bit more. Will get the firewall back in when it all seems good.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Decided to take Friday through 6/1 off. No promises as to work progress...none would believe me anyhow. LOL

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,600
Decided to take Friday through 6/1 off. No promises as to work progress...none would believe me anyhow. LOL
Good for you. We expect weekly status reports.

14581 - 14600 of 14637 Posts