Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14561 - 14580 of 14637 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Actually, not that treacherous if you try the procedure I have written up (not saying I invented it) but couldn't find this procedure elsewhere and it worked easily enough after much head-scratching and experimentation).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Changed a front control arm bush over the weekend. Not a fun job - I can see why the consensus recommendation is to just replace the whole arm! There's just not enough clearance on the inside of the arm to fit it in my press, so had to go about it the old fashioned way with the propane torch, hacksaw and clamp. Got there in the end, and it now feels nice and tight!

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Pondered which Alfa goes on the lift next. Once the LS is running around, I think we'll do the GTV. The GTV6 has a 3.0 being assembled and a Verde transaxle being rebuilt, which I think will extend it's time in the boneyard until the end of the year. So...GTV. Owned it 15 years, never driven it under its own power.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Anyone ever suggest that you just might have too many Alfas. Of course, I'm joking, Always Looking For..., yada yada yada.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,566
Had a nice email exchange with Dean Russell of Trail Alfa in Dearborn Heights, MI today. Hope I was able to help him out with some info he was looking for. We have known each other for many years. Trail Auto| Repair Shop | Dearborn Heights

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Anyone ever suggest that you just might have too many Alfas. Of course, I'm joking, Always Looking For..., yada yada yada.
Actually, I've told myself that recently. It's not that I have too many Alfa, I just have too many project Alfa. I've had the itch to purchase a couple of additional project Alfa, but, I think, have finally matured enough to realize I have more project years of Alfas than I have years...

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Removing the studs from the rear manifold. Just not possible so I ground them down and drilled out the studs. Some of the threads look dodgy and although the M8 bolt I picked up threads through, I will be using some locking nuts on top. My choices now are stay with the M8 and use a self locking nut on top or drill out and tap to M10 for a beefier connection although drilling out to the M10 can be a problem if the center of the hole is too close to the header pipe itself as the self locking nut will be a tight fit. The nut shouldn't be necessary of the tap is good but again, if not straight through, could present issues when tightening due to the bolt being threaded at an angle. Drill out to close to the edge of the flange and risk a cracked flange (due to vibration). The bottom/flex flange is around 6.8mm and top around 11mm. So, maybe drilling out to M10 and not tapping as the nut should be fine. I would really like to get the starter and header in place tomorrow due to favorable weather, except that the final connection to the flex pipes can wait a bit as I should get new gaskets (and hard they are to come by it seems). There is a Walker equivalent but all of the off bands I have found seem to be around 1.5-2 mill too tight I/D. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L
14 Posts
New to the Forum, so for my first inclusion....I bought one! It was a whim purchase, and once I actually paid the venerable piece of heritage a visit today, I was sold and put down a deposit for the '91 164L. It's mechanically sound with a couple of minor issues (cosmetic mostly) that I'll fix over time. If this can stay with me for 5 or more years, then I'll definitely appreciate the "character" and "humility" the AR offers. Stay tuned for more...progress, assistance and, more importantly, appreciation to the group for insight and humour!

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Welcome to one of the best BBs around, IMO. Let us know if you need help with anything.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,572
New to the Forum, so for my first inclusion....I bought one! It was a whim purchase, and once I actually paid the venerable piece of heritage a visit today, I was sold and put down a deposit for the '91 164L. It's mechanically sound with a couple of minor issues (cosmetic mostly) that I'll fix over time. If this can stay with me for 5 or more years, then I'll definitely appreciate the "character" and "humility" the AR offers. Stay tuned for more...progress, assistance and, more importantly, appreciation to the group for insight and humour!
We are staying tuned for the story board to follow.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Took the 91S our for it's DD to get some sushi for dinner, and drove to the end of cul-de-sac, about 500 feet, and right across the street sat a new white Stelvio in the nearest driveway. Geting pretty close, lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow! Looks like nobody has been in this thread for a while. I will try to revive! What did I do today? I removed the dash of a 116.15 Alfetta GTV Sprint Veloce! Thank you Lemark Balk with your assistance on how to!

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,576
My backyard shed. What exactly are you asking? The cartridge(s) insert is/are Koni(s). The cut off front strut housings are Boge for Alfa 164..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Today I picked up my catalytic converter/center muffler bypass that I custom ordered in Stainless Steel and also failed miserably trying to find a shop that will recover the dash that is NOT Justdashes.com since I don't want to spend 1500 on a new looking dash.... Lose some, some some, win one.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Today, I tightened the exhaust manifold, re-attached everything except for the firewall as I will be doing more work this month and see no point in putting it in to take out again. Started up nicely and idled nicely but lots of fumes so either the coolant that spilled out while I was working around is burning off or I have many exhaust leaks at the manifold and exhaust flange plus exhaust re-circulation pipe. Will start up again tomorrow., I read that getting the exhaust nuts tight is a pain as it is very difficult to get a torque wrench in there. Once this has been dealt with, the oil cooler and lines come out for refurb. There is too much oil residue under the alternator and on the oil lines. No visible leaks around the belt area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Took apart my gauges and began the task to reinstall the used dash that came from Italy as well as the Euro gauges. they cleaned up nicely and hope to install the dash and instruments tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Moved the cars around in the island of disrepair. Next up is the GTV.

I was reminded that our pseudo son #3 (no blood relation but spent a lot of time with us) is a CHP officer. Perhaps he can do the VIN verification that will get the LS out of titling/licensing purgatory. Lets hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14561 - 14580 of 14637 Posts