Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14521 - 14540 of 14635 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I’ve inspected the timing belt and I’ve noticed that it’s a little further out than what I initially remembered it being. If I’m not mistaken the timing belt shouldn’t be this far off. I’m not sure if it’s rubbing against the plastic cover or not until I get a change to remove it.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Got tired of sitting around the house so took the 91S out for an extended drive. Enjoyed that, car sounds great, with a nice burble in the exhaust when accelerating. One pleasant drive, esp with little traffic. Only drawback to the excursion was that I had to stop by the local supermarket for a few normal vittles. No problem with their supply, even for toilet paper. I guess everyone who panicked and hoarded the tp has now filled their garages and basements with hundreds of rolls, lol.

Only thing that happened at the store that was bothersome was that while everyone was keeping their reasonable distances, a d#mb*ss walked right up behind me and started asking me questions about some food, right into my face. Startled me, and I retreated quickly, thinking, man, get away from me. He was paying zero attention to being at a reasonable social distance, even if there wasn't this virus situation.

At my age, 78, and above, the fatality rate from getting this particular virus is significantly higher, so I don't like to take undue risks. Doesn't stop me from doing normal things in life, for sure, but depending on your age and wellness, the virus risk can be significant, this virus clearly not being like ordinary flu regardless of what some think, with it being sooo infectious, and no vaccine (yet). Jeez.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
My 91S's surfaces have never been so sanitized, as I wipe all of the inside surfaces with sanitizing wipes after going to the grocery store, etc. The other Alfas are fine, as they are not being driven anywhere. Can't wait for decent weather so I can clean up all the cars on the outside, maybe with a little wax. That way I can put the car covers on to protect the ones in the carport from the sun. Actually ,even the garage queens, LS, SS, have car covers (yes, I know, overkill). For Alfas, the sun is a killer, esp for the interior, along with uncorrected body rust, of course.

We still have panic driven people hoarding sanitizer bottles and wipes, toilet paper, and bottled water (?). Talked to a long time friend of ours living in Texas, and he mentioned that his Japanese wife (really lovely person) had panicked and had gone out and bought several hundred rolls of tp, and dozens of bottles of Hello Kitty sanitizer bottles from her local Japanese goods store. Most people hadn't thought of that store having sanitizer. Jeez. I reminded him of the famous soy sauce panic in Japan years ago. People panicked and ended up buying enough soy sauce to last them a decade or two, lol.

Lol, I predict that there is going to be a lot of people feeling very foolish later when they realize that their basements and garages are full of tp and bottled water (our water here is so good, why are people buying expensive bottled water?), good enough for a decade.

Stay well, and please be considerate of the needs of others, esp the first responders. This is NOT just like the flu, what with emergency rooms filled to the brim with very ill people. This will eventually pass, and we can return to something more normal, enjoying our Alfas, doing things with others.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I been working from home. Were ready [the hospital that I work for] for the wave to hit here in CT.
Went to checked on the Giuietta Spider which is in storage at a neighbors house. One mouse caught in one of the traps. No evidence of any mice in the car. Both air intakes, inside of the eyebows have wire screens, so no getting in the heater that way :)
Milano had a fuel relay issue. Engine would not start after a drive in the country last week. I did some reserch on the bb and found that just cleaning the contacts usually does the trick. Yep, the relays just needed cleaning of the contacts.

164 LS is still in the car bag, may get around to opening it up in a month.

Stay safe,

Frank

·
Registered
962 Posts
Not much happening so I thought I would try to hunt down some new or used center caps for my MoMo wheels. I believe they are the Quasar model. The cap is held on by a partitioned, plastic retention "collar" and that has a metal clip within to exert pressure on the inside of the wheel cavity. The plastic becomes brittle and caps risk falling off so I had removed all 4 for the time being. So, what I am able to find seems to float from $90-$135 (cdn) and up. Multiply that x 4 and you get 4 "no ways". The wheel has a non-threaded hole that looks to be about the right size for a retention bolt so I may thread that, insert a hex-bolt in place of one of the existing hex bolts to keep it in place., provided things line up or I may have to carefully drill a new hole into the cap to line up with the one in the wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Fiddled around with some more cosmetics for the LS engine.

I decided I’d spend an hour a day cleaning the shop.

At this pace it might take a decade to get it clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
So, the LS, is it running again yet, or just becoming pretty looking, lol?

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
More work to do, Del.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
In this time of strife, aren't you glad you have sooo many Alfas to work on, lol? Would like to see your collection some day.

BTW, how is your Boeing employed inlaw doing? We have a couple of friends who might take the newly offered buyout retirement offer the company is going to have.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Del, I know he's been getting ready for retirement. If there is a decent buyout, maybe he'll take it. My sister retired this year, so...???

Seeing all my Alfa might be a disappointment, as my daughter calls it, it's the island of disrepair.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Not much happening so I thought I would try to hunt down some new or used center caps for my MoMo wheels. I believe they are the Quasar model. The cap is held on by a partitioned, plastic retention "collar" and that has a metal clip within to exert pressure on the inside of the wheel cavity. The plastic becomes brittle and caps risk falling off so I had removed all 4 for the time being. So, what I am able to find seems to float from $90-$135 (cdn) and up. Multiply that x 4 and you get 4 "no ways". The wheel has a non-threaded hole that looks to be about the right size for a retention bolt so I may thread that, insert a hex-bolt in place of one of the existing hex bolts to keep it in place., provided things line up or I may have to carefully drill a new hole into the cap to line up with the one in the wheel.
I stopped using a set of MoMo’s because of that. I thought I would have an easier time finding a suitable replacement for that collar. That project has been shelved for a while.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,534 (Edited)
Spent some time looking for a good spare 87-93 pre-face-lift Alfa 164 AS position inner door handle. Found ample supply of PS, AD; and PD positions but only one unbroken AS position. Found plenty un-repaired ones and one beta-tested repaired one on both fork and handle ends.

Found a PS position on ebay: Alfa Romeo 164 Inner Rear Driver Side Door Handle | eBay

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Alfa work is on hold. Offered it to my cousin. Otherwise I’ll take that transmission out when I get time.

Started back on the Ford that’s been sitting for too long. From what I see it was an intake leak and not the heads, which I though from a while back. Hopefully get it running within the week.
4372AAB5-4F49-44A0-A4A4-73B2FE84F4ED.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
The workshop is a mess. I’m rearranging it to make it more efficient. After working in it for 5+ years, you actually have an established work pattern, and it doesn’t match the way I set it up. Plus, the amount of detritus that had accumulated is staggering.

I’ll fiddle with it again tomorrow, then get back to work on an Alfa.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did the governor seals and accumulator spring in my '92 12v over the weekend. The old seals were ok (a little hard), but accumulator A had broken. I had to retrieve some little fragments from the bore which had scratched it a little, but the plunger still moved smoothly. Refilled with some mobil LT71141, then started work on a torn front control arm bushing and a leaky detensioner :)

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Spring has arrived here, so it was car day. Took the LS and SS out for a nice long drive each, just because. Also washed and cleaned out the Milano. Wife was letting it pretty grody. Humph. Now it's under a car cover in the carport, along with the 91S. The S one will get washed in a day or so so I can put it's cover on as well. I do not like Alfas baking in the sun. Seen too many with sun damaged/ruined interiors

·
Registered
746 Posts
I will be picking up my LS from my mechanic on Saturday after some much needed repairs. Quite a bit of work was done including:
  • a new cigarette seal for the drive shaft, plus a new oil pan gasket;
  • new oil cooler hoses;
  • a new crank case breather hose junction (the one behind the intake manifold);
  • flushed out the power steering fluid and replaced with some fluid that had an additive to help stop the leak at the seals. The rack was rebuilt 3 years ago so this leak has been kind of disappointing;
  • topped off the AC system so it is ready for summer;
  • replaced a broken seat frame adjustment gear (not the motor, that is fine);
  • two new power window switches so that I can now open and close all four windows from the driver's seat; and,
  • after the initial shake down drive, it started running rough. Turned out it needed 3 new coil packs at the rear bank.
My mechanic has done a great job on this set of repairs but he is ready to send it back to me. I told him this should take care of any maintenance needs I have for the rest of the summer.
He also told me that they found a nut within the oil sludge in the oil pan. It had come off the oil pump and I have been very lucky that the pump had not shifted. He thinks this was not put on tight enough at the factory because it still had the original oil pan seal. Hopefully I will have some time to wash and wax it this weekend because it is going into storage until our shelter in place order for Dallas County is lifted. And it will be wonderful to have no more oil or fluid leaks for this car.

Cheers everyone.

·
Premium Member
27,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,540
I will be picking up my LS from my mechanic on Saturday after some much needed repairs. Quite a bit of work was done including:
  • a new cigarette seal for the drive shaft, plus a new oil pan gasket;
  • new oil cooler hoses;
  • a new crank case breather hose junction (the one behind the intake manifold);
  • flushed out the power steering fluid and replaced with some fluid that had an additive to help stop the leak at the seals. The rack was rebuilt 3 years ago so this leak has been kind of disappointing;
  • topped off the AC system so it is ready for summer;
  • replaced a broken seat frame adjustment gear (not the motor, that is fine);
  • two new power window switches so that I can now open and close all four windows from the driver's seat; and,
  • after the initial shake down drive, it started running rough. Turned out it needed 3 new coil packs at the rear bank.
My mechanic has done a great job on this set of repairs but he is ready to send it back to me. I told him this should take care of any maintenance needs I have for the rest of the summer.
He also told me that they found a nut within the oil sludge in the oil pan. It had come off the oil pump and I have been very lucky that the pump had not shifted. He thinks this was not put on tight enough at the factory because it still had the original oil pan seal. Hopefully I will have some time to wash and wax it this weekend because it is going into storage until our shelter in place order for Dallas County is lifted. And it will be wonderful to have no more oil or fluid leaks for this car.

Cheers everyone.
That is a new one on me, "a new cigarette seal for the drive shaft" Do you really mean new cigarette seal for engine rear main bearing ?

14521 - 14540 of 14635 Posts