Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14501 - 14520 of 14525 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
My LS is in the shop to fix some oil leaks. I had the main rear seal replaced when we had the transmission out to be rebuilt. There is another seal we should have replaced but did not. It is called a cigarette seal. My mechanic said he can get to it with the oil pan off. The oil cooler hoses are also weeping a bit so he is going to replace those as well.

I want to call him and ask how it's going but I am afraid to. He gets frustrated sometimes by the car and it is best to let him cool down before I bother him. I am hoping everything will be in good shape with the rebuilt transmission, front end parts, etc. for a road trip to Colorado for the summer AROC convention.

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,502
Weather has been getting warmer here and I decided to give the old girl a wash. Unfortunately for this winter I did not have a garage to store it but fortunately we didn’t get much snow at all. She sat in the drive way and that’s about it, never drove her on the roads with snow. She still needs a paint job as the paint is starting to get a little worse than it was and the Bumper fading is getting worse as I can see. I recently got a new car but paying my uncle to have her repainted won’t affect my wallet much. I’m a few months from paying off my new car but going to try and work my repaint budget in there. After not driving her for a few months I took it out for a day and let me tell you I miss driving this car so much!!
Harley your picture of Chassy's old white L reminds me of my long gone white 164B Old Originale. Yesterday I was at Neville's and I watched him work on his new to him used white S. I brought up in BB2 a full set of front and rear calipers, rotors, pads and hoses for it. He got the left rear position changed out before it was 5 o'clock somewhere.

We will gather under his Mighty Oaks again this afternoon with some other Alfisti. The new owner of my S aka BB2 is supposed to come back for a last look at it before I mourn no more.

Alfa is the featured Marque at Amelia Island Cars and Coffee this morning. Will be driving up to that event today in my 04 Jeep Grand Overland 4.7L HO. Not an Alfa but goes fast like one and hauls Alfa parts when needed to.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
Hooked up new trickle chargers for the cars (the LS and the SS) which are not being driven, and are and parked/locked in the garage, because Hagerty says so. That's ok. The other Alfas just have their radio fuses pulled to save the battery when not being driven when we are not there for awhile. Absolutely do need to take the LS out for a nice drive, though. It really needs exercise to make it feel good, and me as well, lol.

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,504
After a long day at Amelia Island Cars and Coffee event with fellow Alfisti and hours of story telling at Neville's I R tired.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Was in Fort Lauderdale last week for work and saw this unique 8C at the dealership there - I guess it is a one off painted like that in Italy according to staff there... no 164's in sight during my time there just newer Gulias and more exclusive Italian metal..

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Was in Fort Lauderdale last week for work and saw this unique 8C at the dealership there - I guess it is a one off painted like that in Italy according to staff there... no 164's in sight during my time there just newer Gulias and more exclusive Italian metal..
You have to drop the price for a new paint job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,507
That's a 4C not an 8C.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Been working on some plumbing. Used jc96’s clutch hydraulic info to get through clutch master cylinder replacement. Just trying to finish bleeding it.

Also finally installed the heater core shutoff and some other sections of coolant hose.

My coolant tank had some deep stress cracks, and I had this aluminum tank around, so I made a bracket and mounted it. So far no explosions, but I need more testing. The ports worked well, but obviously you can’t see the level and there’s no tap for the level sensor. My sensor was faulty, so I’m not missing much. Fun to fiddle with anyway.

Hope to have it mobile again soon. Stay healthy, especially Mr. Chris.
EC7B8E8B-C129-420E-827B-759C5C9ED4F5.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
Nice fix on the coolant tank.

·
Registered
425 Posts
PIcked up a 1990 TS with 300.000km on the clock. The car drives quite well, but was bought because a new windscreen was available with it (needed for my Q4). It only has little rust and a damaged wind screen, but will most likely be a parts car, as I have enough cars to work on...

Here are videos of it:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Looks like I will be re and re my starter. Nothing wrong with it. I was re-seating the gaskets between the manifold and flex pipes and the rear-inboard stud stripped a few teeth. Tightened up the remaining stud and sounds fine BUT problems with leaks will eventually arise and I would rather not be sitting in a car with an exhaust leak. So, looks like this will give me a reason to pull off the rear manifold to drill out and install a new stud (the front ones snapped so I drilled though and use nuts and bolts. Makes more sense). and would be foolish to not take that opportunity to rebuild the starter, clean up stuff and while that's off, re check clearances and timing, bearings, on and on.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Well, this is an interesting time in which to live. We've been on lock down for a couple of weeks now and the country is far from plateauing with the death/infection rate(s). I think the number who died yesterday was around 670. A couple of things strike me. It is eerie quiet here and not seeing folks is surreal on many different levels. Food and supply availability is normal for the most part but waiting in line to enter the stores is odd. Wineries and such have come up with home delivery methods so re-supply is easier for those who wish these things. Not much else really going on aside the occasional bouts of boredom. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,514
Reading this forum is my Alfa related today.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
Stay healthy.

Here in Seattle, the original death hot spot for the US, things have slowed up just a little, but people still doing stupid things such as buying all the toilet paper in the world and tons of bottled water. Don't understand that at all. There is going to be a lot of people with their garages filled to the rafters with rolls and bottles, lol.

Grocery stores are hiring in order to keep the shelved stocked. Amazon says they need 100k new workers. Boeing is in danger of failing. Had no problem buying what we needed after our aborted trip to Connecticut for a memorial for wife's brother' death. No one else from around the country made it, but we were already back on east coast in DC, so ended up in Hartford. Then the airlines began to shut down some flights, so we bagged out a week early after having several flights canceled on us, and returned home. Airplanes were ~1/4 full, with airplanes being parked and flight crews being furlowed. Plus, all our plans for our upcoming European trip were canceled, now trying to all get our money back. mostly successful so far.

Oh well, 2020, the year of doing nothing. At my age, just don't want to take more chances than the younger ones will do.

Lots of time now to cherry out the Alfas and the yard, lol. The cars run so well, but can't really go anywhere, sigh, what with restaurants and stores being closed, plus being told to stay home.

You all stay healthy.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
So everything is shut down. You can get gas, go to work, go to the pharmacy and go to get groceries. All require a self certification form for any check point you might encounter. News shops and tabacchi are open. Usually they are one in the same. The gov't figgers a couple of things here. News is important and people will go ballistic without smokes. So a WW lung issue is present and smokes are OK? So if the news/smoke store is also part of a bar - many are - you can't get a coffee or drink They absolutely want social contact minimized and I read that in Rome, rather than random check point pull overs i.e. every 5th car, - every car will be stopped. So if you go to get groceries, only one can go and no kids. The one meter rule is the default. Stay a meter away from each other. So if you are in the car, it started out as one had to be in the back seat but now that just applies to taxis or vehicles where you don't reside together. Standing joke is that there is fear of a baby boom at the end of the year but fear not, social distancing has replaced normal birth control. It would tho, be a hell of a way to reverse bad birth rates over the last few years.

A couple of folks from base have developed the disease. A couple we know both have it. The dude is intubated and under sedation at the local hospital while his wife is positive with a really bad case of bronchitis. She is at home riding it out. It's strange, both are healthy without underlying conditions but it hit him differently than her - so far. Prayers as they're nice people. Come to Italy they said... it'll be fun.

So in its simplest form, the system is full. There are no bed spaces for "normal" issues. Traffic accident victims, heart attacks and so on. It's a mess. State sponsored medical care on full display. You may have read that Italy is the second oldest population in Europe. This is true and the elderly and folks with underlying issues are particularly vulnerable. And hardest hit. The disease isn't a death sentence but it will screw you up if you have issues regard to health.

So, what are we up to. Well TV, the computer and simple things like that. We're just pretty much restricted to the yard. Well, I can go in to work if I wish but why when the goal is to minimize social contact and thus the spread of this stuff. And they don't need me, I don't need the money and hassle of dealing with the local law enforcement if needed. Just easier and besides, my yard is looking great and I can get out and do food runs for Susans dad as needed.

People ask what I think as far as advising people who are about to go thru this. Well, there are idiots everywhere and will do whatever they feel like so that is out of your control. Do what is in your control and read up on the disease and its symptoms. Basic common sense stuff. We generally are well prepared for "things" and in this case we are as well. If you take meds, make sure you are stocked up. I ensured all my cars are full of fuel cause if one breaks, I can't get parts since all commerce has stopped. I get a flat, I'm screwed. Pet food is something folks haven't given a lot of thought to. I think it's a good idea to have some cash on hand. You never know. Just common sense things. Amazon still delivers as do a few restaurants and wineries. LOL!! Hardest thing is being told you can't do something. Just makes the drive to do it stronger. Ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,517
Today was my day to play carpenter in the garage. I reconfigured a "closet of sorts" in the corner and using scrap lumber I had on hand made some shelving. Have a long way to go to realign PO's shelving to fir my Alfa parts stuff.

The shipping container with spare windshield taking up a lot of room between the cars. I had that in a separate store room next to garage at last house with storage shelves on top of it so now parts container just stacked on top of it.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
Waiting for the weather to improve so that I can wash the Alfas and the SS. Here in Seattle, with it's rain, they get washed for real only about two times a year, once in the late spring and once before winter in the fall. As soon as you wash your car, it rains again and when you drive around for chores, the road dirt just gets splashed onto the car asap. Sigh. Of course, our two garage queens, the LS and the SS, will stay clean, lol, not being used much these days, except when the weather is nice. The dd 91S and Milano will just have to stay dirty until the summer.

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,520
Chassy will be proud!

14501 - 14520 of 14525 Posts