Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14481 - 14500 of 14525 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
When I did this chore, I went in through the left hand back side of the glove compartment, carefully cutting out a panel which I was able to glue back in again afterward. You can't tell when the glove compartment door is closed.

And yup, that fwd screw is a real pain. What a stupid design. Should have been just a push in plug to hold the fwd end of the motor/gearbox cage in place. I ended up slotting that screw hole in the cage and then not snugging down the screw when I was finished. I just ran the screw in first part way (it was tight in the threads) and then was able to just insert the cage, latching the fwd end on the exposed screw. Good enough, and no problems later. I didn't screw with that black crud. Just carefully worked around it. Didn't worry about it not sealing well, as all air leakage is into the cabin anyway. Once again, good enough.

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,483 (Edited)
Here is BB1 my 164L waiting for me in VA to bring her down to FL.

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,484
Here is BB2 waiting to be delivered to new owner on March 5th.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Polishing and Waxing of my Spider was finished last night!. I am very pleased with the end result. This is a 1986 Spider QV that was brought into the Netherlands in 1997. We took off the various side skirt, overhauled the engine, everything else and it got a respray. And although it is always been garaged, 23 years and 65.000 miles does take its toll on the paint.

I had this done by a professional detailer, Matthieu, who runs a Swissvax, pro detailing studio. Took two days, about 20 hours of work of which more than 2/3 of the time was spend polishing.

A few piccies of the end result. Difficult to get a real good images inside my garage with artificial light.

Or you can read the whole story here: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Spider

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm hoping Chris, who lives not too far from Venice, is outside of the quarantine red zone for Covid-19.

Chris, how are you and Susan doing?

Rex

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,487
I caught Chris on FB msger this morning they are OK and doing well he said.

OBTW, I checked at wally world and home depot today for face masks. Shelves were empty both stores. HD had a 10 limit to a customer sign but none on shelves.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
The medical people are saying that if you don't have the problem, you needn't/shouldn't wear the mask. Does nothing for you, not airborne? They do want those with the problem to wear them though, to keep them from infecting surfaces through coughing, etc, i assume. They say to save them for those people.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Rex, thanx for asking. We are fine in this area. The local/regional governments have issued various decrees and such that for the most part, has closed schools, limited meetings - i.e. scouting, clubs and so on. The media is going bonkers and making the case that the sky is falling and we should all be at home cowering under the bed.

This started about the time Carnevale was in full swing so when the localitites shut off the celebrations, the economic effects were quickly felt and the Venice folks have noticed a significant drop off of Asian tourism. I can see this as Venice is generally full with tourists from that area. Up here doesn't seem to be too affected but then again, the joke in Italy is that no tourists go to the FVG region because it sux. Grocery stores are up and running and everything is pretty much normal. The bases in the area have been pretty proactive in that the schools and most activities are shut down and the biggest impact is on families who depend on the schools for their daycare - for lack of better word.

RC has seen an increase in duty over the past months and has performed with honor. Rossa is soon to come out of her winter hibernation as we will be traveling in her come spring.

So if anyone has a some spare change and is not too rattled, airfares are good right now and you can see some of Italy. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
Lol, if you can get there. Some airlines are stopping their flights to Italy, or at least to some of the northern cities.

We have a river cruise starting in Budapest in a couple of months, flying through Frankfurt. We have no idea if all this will happen. What we worry most about is getting there, and ending up stuck somewhere there. If we do end up going, I have to remember to take several times more of my daily medicine doses, just in case.

Unfortunately, we in the Seattle have the privilege(?) of having the first 6 deaths due to this virus in the US. Some people are going nuts, stripping the stores of everything, including water, lol. Water? Jeez. Schools canceled, meetings canceled, restaurants in the Chinese International District are suffering (hmm, might be a good time to go to avoid the crowds and get decent parking), the airport traffic is waaay down.

Anyway, stay well, and enjoy your cars. We haven't done much pleasure driving lately, the weather being crappy, as usual in Seattle wintertime. Do need to exercise the 94LS soon, though, can't let these cars set around. they always need some excercise and a little tender loving, lol.

cheers,

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Glad to hear that Chris and Susan are doing well.

We were going to take a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska this summer, but I think we will cancel and reschedule for next year.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
Not Alfa related per se.

By this summer, the virus should probably be quite toned down (in China the rates of infections are dropping significantly now, chart in today's WSJ) according to health experts. Of course, with the present administration being pretty darn incompetent (being anti-science in general) in overseeing protective measures, and wanting to sharply reduce the funds for the federal Disease Prevention programs, including the CDC, we'll just have to wait.

We also have an extended cruise in Alaska coming up this summer, from Juneau to Vancouver, on a very small liner (~180 passengers), and so far we have no plans to cancel anything. Plus, the ship might be more peaceful if some bag out (lol, more food and wine for us). No reason to panic yet.

Our own worry is companies panicking and screwing around with our European river cruise (which is to be my wife's 70th birthday present), but we have a month yet to go to see what is going to happen. Luckily, we do have fully comprehensive trip insurance, and all our stays in hotels are refundable, plus our flight tickets are mostly FF miles, so those can just be turned back in if the flights are canceled. We shall see, but we are not panicking yet.

I wouldn't get in a hurry to cancel anything yet, as the cruise ships which have had trouble were just caught out before they knew what was happening, and had been visiting China where this whole thing evidently started. Ports turning the odd cruise ships away, such as in the Caribbean, seem to be just panicking.

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
A buddy of mine lives in Vacaville, which is just outside of Travis AFB. He had a cruise booked for May, and the operator sent them a notice that they would not be allowed on the boat and that they were refunding their money.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
Depends on the cruise line andwhere they are supposed to go I would assume. China and East Asia in general, and evidently northern Italy, for sure it looks like.

Plus, evidently some cities and maybe a few cruise lines and ports are not allowing groups of more than 1000 or more. Our cruises are only ~180 people or less, so maybe not a big deal. The huge cruise ships with 14 gazillion passengers, however, might be a problem. Of course, people get sick on those cruises anyway, real petri dishes, those.

Did he say which cruise line and where they were to go?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Weather has been getting warmer here and I decided to give the old girl a wash. Unfortunately for this winter I did not have a garage to store it but fortunately we didn’t get much snow at all. She sat in the drive way and that’s about it, never drove her on the roads with snow. She still needs a paint job as the paint is starting to get a little worse than it was and the Bumper fading is getting worse as I can see. I recently got a new car but paying my uncle to have her repainted won’t affect my wallet much. I’m a few months from paying off my new car but going to try and work my repaint budget in there. After not driving her for a few months I took it out for a day and let me tell you I miss driving this car so much!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,496
Today here in JAX home of Amelia Island Concours, I had the new owner of BB2 follow me from Neville's until I peeled off for my hotel spot. I shed a tear of seller's remorse as he drove by. Gosh that is a pretty car in motion! Why did I sell it you may ask? There comes a time in an old man's life and it came to me.

Now to go back to VB next month to retrieve BB1 my 164L. My last one.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
I feel for you. We now have four cars, having bought my bro-in-law's Chevy SS. My wife says, four cars, jeez, we should get rid of at least one, but I end up saying that we do just have room for the four, and since they are not worth much even if all of them are in fine shape and run well, it doesn't seem worth selling one or more. Plus, I have a hard time letting some one else own and drive them, but I guess that is just me. I end up being afraid that whoever buys one will end up trashing it. It hurts to think about that scenario. Barb say, gee, no one is anal are they?

Sigh.

Which car would I sell? Probably the 91S, as while it's been the trusty DD since 94, and is in great condition, running reliably every day, everything working, new clutch, I think I like driving the 94LS better, set up as it is. The Milano? Barb says, don't touch my Milano, upon penalty of... whatever.

Too bad John (spitfire) lives in Ct, as I could see myself making him a very good deal on it, as I trust someone like him, lol, but he has a family to raise.

Oh well, life goes on.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm working on downsizing my 164 fleet to just the red 1995 LS.

There is still a blue 91 L automatic in my yard to be picked over for parts in the spring.

Mostly I need the windshield for the LS.

Sorry Steve, Old Blue is just about done.

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,499
Old Blue has done it duty before me, then me and then your family. It has had its day in the Alfa sun and then some.

It is hard to buy and sell $849 164s.

14481 - 14500 of 14525 Posts