Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14461 - 14480 of 14485 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,461
Well back in VB. VA for a week. I had left BB1 my 91 L here last September covered up with battery disconnected. Found battery still at 12.2v so cleaned posts and cables and fired it right up. Drove it around a bit to clean the rust off the brake rotors. Plan A is to drive it back to FL and leave it at Neville's until March. I will retrieve it then to drive back to our FL digs in Lakeland.

I have sold BB2 my S to Alfisti in CT. He is coming down to JAX for Amelia Island Concours and picking it up then. I will drive it up to Neville's in early March and drive BB1 back home.

Weather was nice here yesterday sunny and mid-50. Was nice to get back to our beach house. House keeper/setter keeping it up nice. Had dinner at local eatery the Ice house with daughter last night. Alfa dinner meeting tonight so hope to see some old Alfisti buds and break bread and drink some wine with them.

We took the road less traveled coming up until Santee, SC. We stayed on US-301 from central FL to Santee. We stayed overnight Saturday at our favorite stopping place- Clarks Inn. They had 4 Teslas plugged in at the charging stations. Sunday morning driving on I-95 rest of the way not bad. Our 17 Jeep Grand Limited pulling trailer was able to pass more gas stations than our 04 Jeep Grand was able to do in years past.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
I have to admit that my interest in Alfa wrenching has waned in January. The GTV6 has an irritating electrical issue that's keeping it from running and the 164LS's stripped threads in the pulley mounting hole was a pisser.

We'll get back to it after this weekend.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,463
Southern bound again. Dualing Jeep Grands in caravan formation. I am towing our cargo trailer with our 04 Overland. ML has the 17 Limited. I was going to tow BB1 behind the 04 but we have to go back to VB, VA in April. Hope to drive BB1 back FL then. We did 500+ miles today and now bunked in at Holiday Inn Express in Richmond Hill, Ga south of Savannah GA. We go to Neville's tomorrow in JAX to leave the 04 JGC until March. I will be driving BB2 my now sold S up to meet new owner from CT at JAX airport then. I will drive the JGC back home.

I am getting 13 MPG at 75 mph in 5th Overdrive with trailer and ML is getting 26 with no trailer dragging behind her. The 17 only got about 16 going up with trailer as it never goes into OD when towing and stays in 6th and never goes into 7 or 8.

I prolly would have only got about 11 with 04 towing 164 with OD off.

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
"164LS's stripped threads in the pulley mounting hole was a pisser"

People often strip those threads out, the threads being in aluminum (a poor idea, studs maybe should be used instead, or at least Helicoiled (or other brand)), and usually being way overtorqued. My 91S came that way when I bought it decades ago. The serp belt idler bracket holes had one stripped, and the other was critical. Even when that critical one was torqued to the proper torque, it finally let loose, so I Helicoiled both holes. No problem doing that, and no problems since.

Steve, at least you will be far away from the Stupor Bowl.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,465
Well, we are back in FL. Left our 04 JGC at Neville's to be picked up by me next month after I deliver my S to new owner who is flying into JAX for Amelia Concours.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Brief update: Haven't been active around here for a bit. Life got in the way. Susan is no longer working due to her degrading eyesight and while the Russians invented bureaucracy, it took Italy to perfect it. Alas, I'm working more to ensure we continue to enjoy the lifestyle to which we are accustomed. Been driving RC for a few weeks to give the DD a break, besides it could use front wheel bearings and I'm in no mood to fool with them while it's cold. Rc is running great and while Alfas are notoriously cold blooded/slow to warm, he kicks heat within about 5 minutes of starting, even on the coldest of mornings.

Last month saw us in the US for a few weeks visiting the kidlets, one in Dayton and the other in Almagordo New Mexico. Fun times!! Saw exactly no Alfas while back. Not even a new one. Rossa is parked and poised for spring. Daughter delivered a healthy baby boy one month ago and all are well.

So back to the working thing. Few months ago I signed on with a company who manages the fuel distribution system on the air base. I operated and manage aircraft fuel storage and distribution systems to the tune of one million stored gallons and receipt and accounting for said fuel. It's both interesting and boring all at once. Dinner is on, more shortly. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
so anyway, I'm not a fan of this new site layout but slowly navigating my way around it. Rediscovered my love of old audio equipment and have been messing around with vintage stuff along with some new things. Discovered an outfit in Ogden Utah that makes loudspeakers. Zu. Got a set and all I can say is WOW!! I see a road trip to Germany in May with Rossa and down thru Austria and possibly Switzerland. In fall we're headed to Sydney for a month or so and are thinking about wrapping our USA trip up into this one and basically going around the world. Depends on how the airfares work out.

Doing a lot of home stuff in building and sorting things to cozy the home front as it were. Life is good. Cheers to all. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Spent some time moving things around the shop, trying to make the working environment better.

This is our 20th year on the farm...and the farm needs an enema. It's amazing how much accumulates, especially when you're a pack-rat like me...I hate throwing things away. Well, it time to finally throw some things out and spiff the place up.

With that in mind, I've got a bunch of junk in the shop that will get thrown out this week, and I'll finally get an Alfa back in by the weekend.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
...Rediscovered my love of old audio equipment and have been messing around with vintage stuff along with some new things...
Funny but I have this old Sansui 8080 that I bought in Japan in 1975 and still use. It started making some popping and crackling noises on one channel so I started looking on eBay to see if there were any for sale. Yikes! these things go for big bucks. But eBay led me to a forum site called Audiokarma where I found that all this vintage stuff is coveted and Sansui ranks right up there with Marantz and Macintosh. So I bought a kit with all the capacitors, diodes, resistors, transistors and tuning pots to completely rebuild the driver board as well as a whole set of upgrade LED's for the meters and tuner dial.

So now I have a new hobby! As if a guy with a 74 year old airplane, 3 Alfas and a Ferrari needs a new hobby :rolleyes:

As for Alfa content - put new brake pads on Blackie but RF is still hanging up on me. I think I'm going to need new calipers.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,470
I had a Sansui 1000A tube type I bought in JP in 1966. I stupidly let it go some years ago in 1995 when a job transfer forced me to rethink a few things. We/I keep a pioneer PL-41 turntable though and sold the BIG heavy speakers I had. In about 2003 I found a Sansui 1000X transistor amp on ebay. It is OK but not a good as the old tube 1000A was.

As for Alfa related worked on BB2 my now sold S and got the passenger seat 3-way functionality working again and applied Lexol to all the leather.

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
Saw this headline today:

"UK Government announced on Thursday that sales of petrol, diesel and hybrid cars would be banned from 2035 onward".

Maybe it will mean that Alfa will die, or go all electric, or, forget about the UK market. Other European countries and cities are considering the same. Of course, for the UK, it is 15 years in the future. Won't worry about it, though.

Now I just read that FCA is talking about shutting down a major European assy plant, partly because the Chinese virus plague is shutting off supplies of car parts. Don't know which cars are made in that plant.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,473
Allan go for it! I went there in 2011 when I rehabbed BB2 my 164S like that and again in 2016 when I did a 93 164L that became BB4. Now both cars are sold. BB4 went to Texas couple years ago. BB2 now sold and going to Connecticut in March.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I will - slowly! I don't expect to be done this year, as I know there will be more things appearing, when it is being taken apart. But getting started is a nice feeling :)

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
"BB2 now sold and going to Connecticut in March. "

Steve, any clue as to who that might be? (Of course, I know that's hers/his business, not ours).

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,476
"BB2 now sold and going to Connecticut in March. "

Steve, any clue as to who that might be? (Of course, I know that's hers/his business, not ours).
Yes I do in fact I think it is ending up in NH but he is temporarily in CT.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I can't believe I was unable to find this....What is the socket type that the overhead console bulbs fit into? I incorrectly ordered T10, but they are too small. I'm finding tons of posts about the bulbs, but saw no mention of the actual socket. One of the tabs had cracked off of one of my sockets.

Otherwise, getting ready to change a clutch master cylinder. Hopefully in a couple weeks after work settles down. Still need to order the cylinder and the hose.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I was fixing a problem with the in tank fuel pump. Job done! So I decided to give the trunk a good cleaning and vacuuming. When I pulled the spear tire out and there was a little bit of surface rust in the tire will. I sanded the rusty area, treated with Eastwood rust converter and spray a low gloss paint.

Check out this old Michlin spare tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
Nice to keep the rust out of the spare well.

That spare is an oldie for sure. I've got the same, in a very new (looking) Pirelli P600 tire, mounted on a new looking vintage wheel, which came as a spare from one of our Alfas years ago, probably the Milano. No one wants it but I hate to throw it out, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Finally finished up repairing and reinstalling both of the HVAC stepper motors today on il Diavolo Rosso. It turned into a partial removal of the dash board job because I could not get the rearmost screw out of the steper motor bracket as suggested with the "Morton" 90 degree right angle drive screw driver. Doing the stepper motors is definitely a rite of passage if you are a 164 owner. I avoiding doing it on my first 164S, but I have not been so fortunate with the second 164S I bought shortly after selling my first one. Once I got into the removing dash, I discovered that the cable which moves the internal vent flap from "heat" to "cool A/C" air had come off the stepper motor's operating arm completely. That explains why I had little to no cold air coming out of the A/C last summer, in spite of installing a new condenser, compressor, receiver/dryer, hoses, and full recharge with 134a.

This job turned out to be a much bigger job than anticipated because there were so many other things to do "since I was in there." Had to repair the cracked and broken sections of the dash top trim piece and ended up repainting it wrinkle finish black to hide the seams where I had to glue it back together. Also replaced all the foam seals in the dash air vents so they now seal off the air flow when in the "closed" position. Here are some thoughts on doing the stepper motor job:

(1) The official Alfa Romeo service center video on how to do it is pretty accurate. You WILL loose things down into the depths behind the dash if you don't securely tape over the defroster vents and stuff a bunch of rags along the base of the windshield. In spite of doing so, I managed to lose a philips screwdriver bit and one of the clips for the dash top trim. After I had put everything back together, the missing clip finally fell out and appeared in the passenger side footwell. The philips screw driver bit never reappeared.

(2). The black foam blocks that Alfa stuffed behind the dash and between the defroster ducts is evil stuff. By now it has melted into a black gooey mess that will stick to everything as it crumbles into tiny black pieces when you take it out. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck it up as soon as you can. I didn't, so I had to use a rag moistened with acetone to get all the black stains from the dead foam out of my floormats and carpets.

(3) The plastic edges of the dashboard are like razors. Cover them with rags and wear a long shelved shirt when you do this job. My right arm and hand are covered with scratches and cuts from reaching in behind the dash to change the stepper motors and disconnect/reconnect the ducting.

(4). The plastic parts holding everything together are getting old and brittle. Be prepared to spend a lot of time gluing things back together with JB Weld.

14461 - 14480 of 14485 Posts