Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14441 - 14460 of 14479 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
...Yup, we paid cash for the car, and will not access the internet by hooking up a phone, etc, while in the car...
It's a fruitless endeavor Del, their gonna get your stuff no matter what you do. I bought an Echo so we could make video calls with our 96 year old mom and it only took about a minute for it to get it's claws in me. Can't even take it back for a refund since it now knows more about me that even my own Mother (ha, ha)

I've been absent for awhile but still have a pulse. Blackie is currently a daily driver but having trouble with the right front caliper dragging. Last outing it even set off the brake temp warning light - probably the only one I have never seen in all my 164 days :rolleyes:

If you guys get tired of wrenching on your Alfa buy a 35 year old Ferrari, that'll keep you busy!

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
Nice drive by. Carlo always warned me about buying a used Ferrari, as many of them required more work than you would believe, usual owner with lots of money wouldn't care about keeping them serviced, etc, all that much. That's why I stuck with Alfas. Glad to see yours running nicely. Looks good.

As for "big brother" snooping, we don't do any of that connection online stuff, not even our Kindles, blue tooth connections, smart phones, etc. I do wonder whether or not the company which hosts these forums sells all the info to other companies. I suspect they do. The big deal these days is "surveillance capitalism", where many companies buy all the info they can about you, snooping deeply, in order to tailor their potential sales to you by being able to predict everything about you and what you do. Now, that's getting a little scary, but yet not at all like China, which tracks just about everyone in the country, with many millions of cameras and using facial recognition. Saw a Frontline program on this recently. Scary country in many respects.

Then, there is surveillance in many other areas, such as some universities like Syracuse University, which tracks every student on campus, in and out of classrooms, where they are at all times, and what they are doing, or not. Now that is truly scary.

But enough of all that hogwash. Anyway, pleased to see your Ferrari running, and yes, IMO, the Alfas generally hold their state of tune better than many of the older Ferraris. Carlo always thought they required too much paying attention to the settings for everything. Don't know about the newer ones.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I suppose if you had four dual Webers it might get fussy but the k-jetronic CIS is pretty simple and virtually everyone knows how to work on it if you're not a DIY type. It was used in virtually everything other than Alfas because they had SPICA. Ferrari's biggest issue is probably people not driving them and letting them sit. I put 10k miles on mine in the first year. They need to be driven.

I saw that Frontline episode too where the guy cut across the street and instantly had a ticket for jaywalking and the fine taken from his account before he hit the curb on the other side! Now that's pretty spooky!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,444
Took the S out for a run to MCO Orlando airport yesterday afternoon to send the daughter back to VA. Stop and go on I-4 did not make me happy braking, stopping, clutching and shifting. On the way back we got off halfway home onto US-27 to US-92 and finally to Polk County Parkway. That last part of the trip was enjoyable and the S liked getting up on the cams and shifting swiftly through the gears.

Took the other daughter and her family to the cruise ship in Tampa this morning in the Jeep Grand. I-4 was not as much stop go going this morning but I still came back home on backroads this afternoon.

I guess the beauty of the Interstate system in high densely populated areas is the old highway system still exists for us folks who want to use it.

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
In many areas out in the countryside or along the coast, they have straightened many of the curves which used to be fun driving, at least when slow motorhomes or people with trailers weren't poking along slowly. Some sections still exist if you get off the newer road sections.

The worst was when you came upon something like an Airstream caravan of dozens of these darn things being towed slowly on some of the best sports car roads. Totally aggravating, and a senseless waste of a good road. I think they can't do that anymore.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Happy New Year all, missing my 164. Not sure when I'll be able to get back to it, especially now that my race car doesn't move as it has no engine and my engine builder STILL isn't done with it yet.

Contemplating future rides while I was all set to replace the E350 with a Giulia Ti Sport..... Man I want a Quadrifoglio so bad. It would be a dumb purchase, I don't need another high horsepower RWD car, especially for my daily which will see snow/etc all the time. But its so **** sweet.

Listening to some Alfa Romeo engine noises on my laptop today with my almost 2 year old she yells "MUSIC!!", so I know I'm raising her right, **** right that is music kiddo!

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Happy New Year Alfisti.

Herewith my first 2020 New Year resolution.....I resolve to peruse and contribute to this great Forum way more regularly than I have done in the past few years.

As owner of five 164's and custodian to a sixth 164 I definitely need to help keep this particular Forum alive.

Over the years this Forum has proved absolutely invaluable to the ongoing maintenance and enjoyment of my 164 Ladies:

My ladies all found on CRAIGSLIST:

Jenny - 1993 164L with 1991 engine and converted from automatic to manual transmission.
Jenny was derelict with shredded T belt and bent valves alongside Jennings State Forest but after ground up
rebuild using new and used parts has been a reliable daily driver since 2012.
Wow already an old car AGAIN.... just replaced the gearbox and clutch with a ready unit as the clutch was
worn from too many traffic light encounters.
Poor man's Ferrari, Beemer eater, Mustang mauler....bring it on.
140K miles and uses average oil between annual services.

Sophia - 1991 164B with automatic transmission was originally designated as a parts car.
Fortunately I poked around and after replacing the starter I decided this is no parts car.
After replacement of the usual worn parts Sophia also became a reliable daily driver since 2012.
Sophia purrs and her 270K miles engine uses very little oil between annual services.

Christie - 1991 164L with manual transmission torn down to point of ground up rebuild.
The designated 89K miles engine is on the bench awaiting heads refurbished by Alfisto.

Ocala - 1991 164L with automatic transmission with engine bay torn down for rebuild and now ready to accept
117K miles donor engine and transmission all ready to be dropped in.
This car might go to a local fellow 164 enthusiast who is keen to continue the rebuild for his son.

Georgie - 1991 164S which has been parked under cover for five years.
Georgie was acquired about three months ago and is yet to graduate from beneath my Mighty Live Oaks
into my workshop......or the crusher if I cannot resolve the serious rust underneath where the trailing arms
bolt onto the body.
This weekend I will try to start Georgie having flushed the fuel lines, checked the timing belt and tensioner
and pulled the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender for inspection.
"The car ran fine when I stored it five years ago" ..... famous used Alfa 164 sales line....we will see.

There is a nice red 164S with L engine currently beneath my Might Live Oaks awaiting a buyer.
I might make an offer as it's not mine.

More to come.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Happy New Year to you all..

I have been busy with storage endeavors. I have my Giulia 1600 " parts car" in one neighbors garage and the Milano in another neighbors place. Found these nice folks on my NextDoor app. and paying $ 75.00 rent a month for both. Got my legal advisor to write up a contract to protect them and me in case of a mishap that might befall the cars. Took a bit of time and money to put together the indemnity clauses but it was money well spent. Will see.
The 164 LS had it tires rotated and balanced with oil and filter change. I went to start the car to circulate the new oil and had a dead battery. Must of left a door ajar while setting the car up. Took 5 days to get the Save a Battery Charger to bring it back to life.
Going to use a Car Bag / Jacket once I get it off jack stands but have some work to do on sheered off bolt/pin.
The locator pin broke off left front wheel hub that secures the disc brake to the hub. Going to try to extract the piece of the pin that stuck in the hub or just put the wheel back on.
Hope everyone has a good year with our cars.

Frank

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,449
Drove the S to the first 2020 Cars and Coffee at Linder airport. Meet next neighborhood over Tom with 62 Corvette and 3 ****er Spaniels he brings in it. Met Dennis with 07 Miata. He originally from Niagara Falls.

When I first started the S today the battery light stayed on and the voltmeter stayed at 12v. Checked alternator with meter and got 12v. Not sure what initially prevented alternator from charging but after a few blips on the throttle and a squealing belt it finally came online and voltmeter jumped up to 14v arena.

Must be an Alfa.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Pulled the A/C idler pulley and been buying varies sizes of belts trying to find one that will fit the crank pulley to power steering pump and fit under the exhaust side VVT.

The stock belt is a 5 PK 950, a 5 PK 925 is to small, ordered a 5 PK - 940 to tryout next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Used advice from the good members here to replace my cabin filter with a Saab 9000 filter. Much easier than I thought possible.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
I finally got to enjoy a day beneath the Mighty Live Oaks trying to revive a 164S which has stood forlorn for about five years in GA.
Several issues and a bunch of strange wiring arrangements prevented a successul engine start but we will continue tomorrow after I read up from CARDISC and scan the BB for advice.
I will start a separate thread specifically related to my latest dubious acquisition, a 1991 white 164S.
I have always wanted an S to to add to my L and B pair but I always hoped and waited for my opportunity to find a really good S which needed little if no initial restoration.

To cut a long story short I suckered myself into buying this S for inflated scrapyard value.
The owner was only too happy to take my five hundred buck.
I should have offered two hundred.

Hopefully tomorrow I get "Georgie" started so that I can bring her into the workshop area from under the trees.

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
Truly sorry to hear about and see the images of the apparently climate change associated devastating fires in OZ, wiping out vast forests, killing millions of animals (including on Kangaroo Island), and luckily only a few people. Hope our friends there stay safe.

Of course, Alfa cars are not important at all in comparison, but still hope they have been squirreled away safely.

We have been sending forest fire fighters from our area. Hope they can help, at least a little. Wish we could help. Anyone setting up legitimate donation sites? Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yesterday I took the 164Q4 for a spin around the garage, just to make sure what still works, before taking it apart to fix quite a few things. You might spot a few other Alfa Romeo's in the video :)

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,458
My what a big garage you have!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, Steve! I wish it was all mine ;)

At least all the AR's in the video belong to the guys, I share our part of the garage with :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dreaded Stepper Motor Repair:
On Monday I went to Pick-And-Pull and harvested a couple of BMW stepper motors during P-N-P's 40% off sales event. Since then I have been spending an hour or so each day taking apart the dash vents, center console and instrument cluster to perform the dreaded heater stepper motor repair on Il Diavolo Rosso without having to completely remove the dash. Yesterday afternoon I discovered that the bowden cable that regulates the heater temp flap had slipped off the end of the operating arm because one of the PO's had failed to put the captive washer on the end of the operating arm. Today I tested the cable and it moved freely, so I put it back on the stepper motor operating arm, thinking I had dodged a bullet and wouldn't have to remove the motor and replace the stepper gears after all. No such luck. When I tested the system, the stepper motor moved the cable freely between hot and cold, but then made the infamous crunching sound when it got to the end of its travel. The gears were stripping and the arm jumping, so I will have to pull out the stepper motor after all and replace the plastic gears, as well as do the 33 ohm resistor fix. Since I have the center and side dash vents removed, I replaced the round sponge seals on the vent flaps with some old yoga mat rubber. By the way, it seems that the stepper motor gears from any late 1980's and mid 1990's BMW 5-Series and/or 7-Series can be used to replace the stepper gears in an Alfa 164. I paid around $5 each for the BMW stepper motors I got from P-N-P. The stepper motor gears are all the same; it's just the heater flap operating arms on the BMW stepper gearboxes that are different from those on our Alfa 164's.

14441 - 14460 of 14479 Posts