14401 - 14420 of 14430 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Can you point out where it's at?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Open bottom of drop down under-dash cover on driver's side of car. Look up to right side of steering column. You should see a cluster of a few square relays and the N41 unit next to them. It's about twice as "tall" as the usual type of relays found on the Alfa 164.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
That's correct for the B, L, and S. They are tan in color, the one in the S being more tan than the one in the LS. Used in all.

In the LS, it is located on the fuse assembly on the left side of the steering wheel as one of the relays across the top.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I'll look when I get home.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Southern BRP Trip

Thursday I drove the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway from the Asheville area to Cherokee. Had to go on a weekday this time of year to avoid the leaf looker hordes. It seemed like a lot of people were renting convertible cars to do the Parkway drive. Also passed a group of supercars (McLarens, Lambos, Porsches) going in the opposite direction (they had the hammer down). I swear the McLaren looked like a Senna, but I thought the Senna was not street legal.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Searching hasn't revealed a clue (or I did not enter correct terms...) my left signal was flashing rapidly, right normal but all lights are on and turn signal bulbs are fine. Now both are rapid flashing. All bulbs are fine and both front and rear are flashing. Not certain where the relays are in this (95 ls) or if relays are the issue. Pointers?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I would say to pull each bulb on the left hand side, clean them and the sockets, and try again. Just had that problem (not related to the N41 failure), and did turn out to be a bulb, with all being on, with excessive resistance in a socket due to dirt of corrosion, I guess. These circuits seem to be sensitive to the levels of resistance in the circuits. I cleaned everything with electronics cleaner, touched up the contacts on the bulbs, and now everything works as it should.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Come to think of it, the marker sockets are ratty. May not have anything to do with the signal sockets but worth the time to swap new fittings anyway.

·
Registered
438 Posts

I brought the 164 into the garage today to hopefully complete the restoration this fall/winter.

About a month ago I took the 164 on the central part of the BRP between Asheville and Grandfather Mtn. I took very few pictures as I was in the clouds most of the time. The rear spoiler is off the car in preparation for painting the trunk lid (bad clearcoat problems there).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,411 (Edited)
Cars and Coffee and Viva Alfa Events today

Took BB2 to local C&C then, took ML in our Jeep Grand to Viva Alfa event in Celebration, FL near Disneyworld. We got to see Neville who drove down from JAX in Jenny his forest green 164L.

Our new friends from Lakeland drove their volcano black Giulia. Meet some old Alfisti friends I had not seen in 15-20 years. I left JAX in 2000.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Liked the picture of the old original Mini. Not one of the fake BMW versions.

Tore apart the failed N41 relay from the 91S, and saw that the points in the relay had indeed fused, with burning and pits and bumps. No wonder it got stuck and very hot probably cooking some component.

Also removed the snapping/squawking door stop link from the driver's door of the 91S. Inspection showed that it had just plain worn to where it was hanging up part way open, and then jumping and snapping when the door was opened the rest of the way. Lubing it made no difference.

Will have to find another one, as I don't want to take a chance that it would fail, and the door could open too far and pick up a crease from contact with the rear of the left front fender.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Most of the end of last week and Saturday were taken up by running to Seattle for a funeral. However, with daylight savings ending, I did upgrade the failing alternator in the GTV6 so that I wouldn't have the car crap out when driving home from work in the dark. Numerous additional benefits accrued from this single beneficial change. Idle isn't hunting (don't know why, I didn't think these computers had the algorithm that increases idle speed for failing alternator), butt dyno thinks the acceleration is crisper (probably a placebo effect), brighter dash lights, starter spins faster with a battery properly filled with angry pixies. I wish I'd done this sooner.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss. Alas, funerals are not fun, although you may end up coming across relatives you haven't seen in a long while.

Funny how the car responds when things such as alternators are working correctly. They do need the proper amounts of electricity. I am kind of still waiting for the alternator in the 91S to finally die. I finally put new brushes in it not long ago, although they were not all that bad, but I think the commutator is worn enough so that at idle the needle bounces just a little. Ok at more than idle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The brown-suited Santa (i.e., UPS driver) delivered my new aftermarket seats for Il Diavolo Rosso this afternoon. I plan on installing them tomorrow. I find the stock seats in my 164S too high, which results in my head hitting the headliner unless the seat back is reclined at an uncomfortable angle. On my previous 164S I replaced the stock seats for the same reason (the car I sold to Bob H, to feed his Alfa addiction) - they are too high for me because of my long torso. I just love the tan and black interior color scheme of Il Diavolo Rosso, and this these new seats will go well with it. They color is called "Maple Tan" and it a little less orange than the Alfa's tan color.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Very nice!

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,419
going to a cruze in , new Smyrna beach
Whose DRIVING? That's a little drive from Bostwick! Of course I drove my S from Lakeland to JAX in April for Alfas Under the Mighty Oaks event. Last weekend we drove to Celebration for Viva Alfa event but left alfa home.

14401 - 14420 of 14430 Posts