Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14381 - 14400 of 14430 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Il Diavolo Rosso's resurrection

Still fettling Il Diavolo Rosso. Put new hood struts on it after the hood almost took off my cousin's head when we were recharging the AC system. That was a scare. I had no idea the old ones were so weak. Just a slight bump on the hood and it went crashing down. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Anyway, also installed some stronger headlight bulbs: 80w/100w versus the 45w/80w standard ones on the car. Let's see how much brighter they are as Winter comes to California.

I finally also got around to installing a new radio: I put in an AM-FM/ Cassette Player/ CD Player I found at Pick-and-Pull a few months ago. It came out of a Chrysler Minivan. Fit right in the dash with only a little trimming away of the legs on the plastic face plate. It plays great and even has a built in "mini" equalizer. Very retro! Nonetheless, it is a big improvement over the old Alfa AM-FM Cassette Player radio which went straight into the trash once removed. (Both radios were built by Mitsubishi) The new speakers I bought from Crutchfield now sound fantastic and all the static from the old radio has disappeared.

A few weeks ago I bought a Dupray "Neat" steam cleaner for the house in order to clean the grout in out tile floors. Yesterday I tried it out on the carpets in the Alfa 164S. Wow, what a difference it made. This little machine really cleans them up.

Remaining big items on my "To Do List" are to replace the headliner; replace the stepper motors; and replace the power steering rack, power steering pump, and related hoses to stop all the power steering fluid leaks. After 28 years, they definitely need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I even put one of those all purpose Chrysler AM/FM/Cassette/CD player radios in my LS as well as the S. Suits us just fine, works well, and better than most peoples' ears can hear, esp these days with people degrading their ears with earbuds turned up too high.

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,383 (Edited)
Pulled out some intake chrome tubes; etc., and packed up for fellow Alfisti.

Had to back BB2 out of garage to find the parts SO I let it idle up to operating temp and took it for a spin around the neighborhood before putting back in its hiding place.

Looks like Lakeland's 20th annual Lake Mirror Concours maybe a rain out from the Tropical Storm Nestor now in the Gulf of Mexico heading for us tonight. We should be fine in central FL with some wind and a soaking rain. Looks like Panama City and Mexico Beach may get hit again but at least not a Cat 5 or even Tropical Storm strength this time.

Well, storm is breaking the drought conditions now BIG TIME. Tornado hit just north of us last night and tore part of the rood off a Middle School.

Storm eye wall still off the north FL coast but rain been going on most of the night.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up 1986 GTV-6 from getting the headlights replaced; they had to intall an extra relay to deal with how much power the brights pull, it was blowing things at first and the brights weren't working. Drove it home wondering about sanity.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
got it home

Finally got home with my new to me 88 Milano Verde- Long Island to Louisiana Missouri (yes there is such a place). Fourth time I have flown to get a car and drive it home, first time to here. Lost two alfas in Hurricane Harvey, now I am on high ground.
Difficult trip - four days for about 1000 miles, the car ran well, but a myriad of electrical problems - lost all brakes first day to electrics. Many thanks to Sebastian at Vintage Car Solutions in Houston for long distance assistance. Many long delays for construction, too. A few years ago I drove a Milano Verde from LA to Houston, 1600 miles in three days - so, sometimes it is a better trip than others. Now to get to work on all the electrics. First will be a good cleaning on all the contacts.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Was driving the 91S home from the gas station, and discovered that the car had no lights inside or out on except for the headlights. Only the headlights. All of the fuses were fine and everything else in the car worked. Weird.

After thinking about the wiring, decided it was just the ignition switch acting up, not turning on the lighting circuit, the indicator light on the dash not coming on, but working fine otherwise, being able to start the engine, work the windows, seats, wipers, hvac, etc. First mishap in all the time I've driven the car, since 94 (no, I don't hang any other things on the ignition key ring except the very small alarm and roof rack keys).

Sprayed the inside of the key slot and tumbler section with electronics cleaner a few times. Let it dry and then sprayed just a little WD-40 in through the key slot for a little lube (I really dislike that black carbon tumbler lube), and hurrah, the switch works just fine and feels smooth. No problems with lights anymore. Continued checking yesterday and today revealed no malfunctioning at all.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Finally got home with my new to me 88 Milano Verde- Long Island to Louisiana Missouri (yes there is such a place). Fourth time I have flown to get a car and drive it home, first time to here. Lost two alfas in Hurricane Harvey, now I am on high ground.
Difficult trip - four days for about 1000 miles, the car ran well, but a myriad of electrical problems - lost all brakes first day to electrics. Many thanks to Sebastian at Vintage Car Solutions in Houston for long distance assistance. Many long delays for construction, too. A few years ago I drove a Milano Verde from LA to Houston, 1600 miles in three days - so, sometimes it is a better trip than others. Now to get to work on all the electrics. First will be a good cleaning on all the contacts.
Are you the guy who met my friend Nick who works at the Mobil Station in Rockville Centre LI? He was telling me about you and sent me pics of the car.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Started reading the book, "The Art of Driving In the Rain". Very interesting, taking place in Seattle, etc, and also mentions other local drivers and events, bringing back many memories of those racing days here. Narrated by a dog. Don't know if the author, who does live in Seattle, drives an Alfa, but one of the guys in the book drives a 74 green GTV.

Haven't seen the movie yet. They probably changed everything to some place like LA, SF, or back east.

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,389
I read the book The Art of Driving In the Rain couple years ago on my tablet.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I enjoyed the book. It's set on a number of tracks on the west coast that I've driven on.

And...I loved racing in the rain.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
The Art of Racing in the Rain

The author, Garth Stein, spoke at the 2018 AROC National Convention in Olympia, Washington. He is engaging in person and is/was an Alfa owner - thus the mention in the book. I liked the book but missed the movie. maybe it will come around on cable soon.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Spent some time today mulling over our Alfas, mainly the 91S and the 94LS. Why, you might ask? Well, it's because the Chevy SS has been offered to us at a very good price.

It's a 2015 model w/automatic, always garaged with "garage queen" treatment, with 43k miles on it (I've seen and driven it, it's in perfect condition as all his cars have always been, and he is a very good Bondurant trained driver), with new tires and brake pads, fluid changes, and still some limited drivetrain warranty yet. Says he would sell it to us for ~$26k. Used versions in unknown condition with this sort of mileage are listed at about ~$32-34k, with just a quick search on line. Dealer offered him $26,500 on a trade in. One drawback, the gas mileage isn't all that great, but... (well, has a slightly greater cruising range than the Giulia, lol).

I'm halfway thinking of offering him ~$25k, picked up in El Paso. At that price, if we decided we really didn't like it, we could always sell if for that or more with no problem I suspect, and keep both the 91S and the 94LS.

Fun to think about it anyway. It makes such good sound, and goes/handles like stink, better than the Alfas in most respects. One road test even preferred it over the new Giulia in a spirited road run.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Del, buy it. Your money isn't worth anything when you are in the grave!

Me, today I finished to motor transplant in the GTV and installed my new to me Bosch 'rare earth magnet' compact starter. Pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked away until low oil pressure light went off! Hooray. Then tried a quick compression test with my 45 year old snap-on tester, only to find that the 14mm adapter tube has a crack and leak! No dice on compression test but I am pretty darn sure theres excellent compression

Don't want to try to start it as I backed the car into the garage to do all this stuff. When it fires it will launch a cloud of dust, smoke and who knows what and I'd rather it not be into the garage! This week or at least by this time next week I hopefully can get it running.....

cheers all

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Leaning towards the purchase, as it is a really good deal, even if we certainly do not need the car. Wouldn't try to offer him less, don't want to kick him when he is down, suffering from rapid onset Parkinson's.

One thing to consider is how to park the cars. Would I actually think about selling one our our prized Alfas, lol? Love driving all of them, esp the LS. It would likely be insured through Hagerty as is the LS now, meaning that it would have to be in the garage along with the LS, Barb's Milano out under the car port along with the 91S, something I haven't wanted to do, it being so pristine. I do have car covers for those two, anyway.

Probably the big ticket item is that we would then have a much newer car with much better potential reliability, ie, not having to worry as much about taking long driving trips, which is always in the back of the mind with the much older cars, even if they have been well taken care of. And, of course, certainty wouldn't be giving anything up in handling, etc, something always lacking in our rental cars.

BTW, glad to see you are getting that GTV running, as it has always been a fav car. Still miss the Sprint GT I enjoyed putting so many miles on so many years ago.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I live in a small town of around 3000 or so, in a township of around 35,000 and thought I was the only 164 owner in these woods. I was driving up one of the town streets on the way to vote on Monday evening and what do I spy in a driveway? A red-black 164 )S, I assume). Non plated but I'm certain it wasn't there a few weeks back. I will have to be a good Alfa ambassador and say "hello" in case the owner is not an alfabb member.

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,397 (Edited)
I tried to drive BB2 to the Kelly Rec Ctr and Wally World during rush hour this morning only to find a traffic jam on S. Fla Ave in LKLD. Being retired I don't do traffic jams well. so I peeled off on a side street and returned to home base.

Next I drove BB2 at 0930 to my eye doc appt using side and back streets to avoid S. Fla Ave. Made it fine and got Medicare funded eye exam and dilated eye balls to prove it.

Made it safely home in time for early lunch and then made same mistake during actual lunch hour trying again to make it to Rec Ctr to work off lunch and to Wally World to get more groceries.

I stuck it out this time, and slowly stopped go stopped go to Rec and WW. Supper will be a 6 thanks to BB2 hanging in there.

Wonder if anyone in this town has a day job or do they all go out for lunch?

BB2 worked fine handling the non-moving traffic flow.

Reminding myself for this coming Friday why I usually go to Rec Ctr and WW before sunrise.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Got a quote to refurb the LS wheels...:frown2:

$165 a wheel!!! I about fell over. Given my motto "I'm really slow...but at least I'm cheap", back to using the stripper and doing them myself.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Well, that pissed me off so much that I purchased new tires and wheels from Tire Rack for less than the cost of the refurb as quoted. Mounted, balanced and to my door tomorrow.

There are several wheels on the clearance rack at Tire Rack at extremely tempting prices.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Once again, I had no lights in the 91S except for headlights, brake lights, and turn signals. NO interior lights, no parking lights, no dash lights. Everything else in the car works, ie, seats, windows, hvac, radio.

Checked the fuses, all good, and power coming from the ignition switch, etc. Engine runs.

Did some more checking, found and pulled the parking light control unit, N41, under the dash, right side of the steering column. Turns out the tan cover for it just came off, the retaining tabs broken by PO? I've never touched it myself. The inside of the unit has a relay, and a circuit board with many components. AND, there were signs of plastic melting, blackened areas, maybe bad/melted soldering, etc. So, I guess that has been the problem all along. I can drive the car during the daytime, but no go at night of course.

Does anyone have a spare N41 available? It has a larger relay housing, tan in color, with 5 regular sized tabs in the back and one skinny one. Marked on the housing with A131, CLS/AR, 60552649.

Or, similar from LS, marked a little differently.

I'll see if the one in the LS is the same and try it, but it is obvious I need another one.

Update: Yup, back in business, the unit from the LS fixed it. I think that after all these years and uses, the relay contacts corroded, burned, and stuck closed, the relay overheating and thus melting plastic and components. Now, just need another one, from any 164: B, L, S, LS, Q.

14381 - 14400 of 14430 Posts